Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Had the Founders Frootwood on tap last night. Somewhat of a let down. However, it's still a really good fruited beer, especially if you're also a fan of Rubaeus. Maple bourbon barrel was very subtle. 

I'd say pass on this one in bottle form and just grab a glass if you see it on tap. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife's cooking. And folks wonder why I'm getting fat. IMG_20170304_172514153_HDR_zpsilgb2wqr.j

Salmon filet with a salsa of mango, jalapeno, shallots, mint and lime juice. 

Normally I'd scoff at a blonde(beer), but this one is seriously tasty. Bursting with bright, juicy tropical flavors and very mellow hops. Solid offering from DFH, and certainly better than the '16.

Oh, and #properglassware.

lWSBwtD.jpg

That looks awesome, Shocks! I always have high hopes for blonde ales, but they seem to always lack something. Some are too bitter, other are just meh.

0042BB67-34F9-4062-AD96-83C3C659EFD9_zps

Oh yeah, I did a little shopping Friday.

19 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That looks awesome, Shocks! I always have high hopes for blonde ales, but they seem to always lack something. Some are too bitter, other are just meh.

0042BB67-34F9-4062-AD96-83C3C659EFD9_zps

Oh yeah, I did a little shopping Friday.

edtxp3l.jpg

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That is very good news for Alabamians. 

Except that daughter and her hubby will likely visit more often.

I echo Mr. Ben's sentiments.

Trussville will soon be getting a brewery to call our own. 

7683_zpsmxbqhji2.png

Our recently elected mayor is a craft beer drinker and he wants it. They'll be putting it in the old ice factory in downtown Trussville. I'm tickled pink. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Trussville will soon be getting a brewery to call our own. 

7683_zpsmxbqhji2.png

Our recently elected mayor is a craft beer drinker and he wants it. They'll be putting it in the old ice factory in downtown Trussville. I'm tickled pink. 

Cool, and

way more than half smart!

On 3/6/2017 at 1:39 PM, Barnacle said:

Hey, this is cool. Sorry if it's been posted and I missed it. 

Dogfish Head coming to Alabama starting tomorrow.

https://www.dogfish.com/blog/alabama-were-comin-ya

Just picked up a pack of their 90 minute IPA. 

ETA: I also got what might very well be the last pack of Xocoveza in the B'ham area until next year. :(

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Funny how that works. Congrats!

He has a good plan for downtown and this is part of it.  Trussville's downtown, while it has a nice rustic feel, has stagnated and needs revamping. A lot of empty buildings. They're all going be renovated and businesses will fill them. We'll have a nice classy downtown by the time he's done.

It's a good way to lock up the youth vote and stay in office for a long while too.

3 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

He has a good plan for downtown and this is part of it.  Trussville's downtown, while it has a nice rustic feel, has stagnated and needs revamping. A lot of empty buildings. They're all going be renovated and businesses will fill them. We'll have a nice classy downtown by the time he's done.

It's a good way to lock up the youth vote and stay in office for a long while too.

Seeing more and more of that, around the southeast at least. Crazy that it seems younger leadership is steering that trend, or at least propagating it. I probably mentioned before that my buddy who opened Main Channel in Guntersville was mainly able to do so because his contemporaries (mid 30s-mid 40s) are now running the city (and county, maybe) and they all share the kind of vision you're talking about. He worked with them to get some laws changed and together they're making Guntserville more of a destination than it was. And they have a local craft brewery to be proud of now. It can really be a building block of a thriving community. 

Anyway, that's cool that you're headed in that direction with your community. Montgomery is certainly a much cooler town now than when I went to high school there, and now Birmingham is being touted as a travel destination... sigh, if only Atlanta would do something worthwhile with our downtown. But hey, they're turning Underground into chain retail and apartments with 2,200 new parking spaces (in addition to the 2 existing parking decks on those blocks)!

6 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/07/craft-beer-wine-can-now-sold-breweries/98855062/

I still don't know how to clip portions of articles, so my apologies. This is pretty big news for the 'sip.

YUGE news. We just got the same law passed in GA (well, wineries- and cideries, for what-the-flip-ever reason- could already sell on prem). 

May the games begin...

We've all been there, man.

Cleaned my garage. Current state of Dub's beer fridge.

IMG_20170311_170345684_HDR_zpsh6u2n0us.j

Poor Yuengling down there all by his lonesome. 

On 3/6/2017 at 1:39 PM, Barnacle said:

Hey, this is cool. Sorry if it's been posted and I missed it. 

Dogfish Head coming to Alabama starting tomorrow.

https://www.dogfish.com/blog/alabama-were-comin-ya

Caught my 1st Dogfish, in a Tloosa bar tonight. 60 - min IPA.

Assume that it's been sufficiently reviewed/discussed here that I don't need to add, except

- pretty good on cigarette-sodden palates too, and 

- come IPA season (and now I can get it), we'll meet again.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

....Poor Yuengling down there all by his lonesome. 

Down there amongst the water, if I'm not mistaken.

Gotta feel for it.

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seeing more and more of that, around the southeast at least. Crazy that it seems younger leadership is steering that trend, or at least propagating it. I probably mentioned before that my buddy who opened Main Channel in Guntersville was mainly able to do so because his contemporaries (mid 30s-mid 40s) are now running the city (and county, maybe) and they all share the kind of vision you're talking about. He worked with them to get some laws changed and together they're making Guntserville more of a destination than it was. And they have a local craft brewery to be proud of now. It can really be a building block of a thriving community. 

Anyway, that's cool that you're headed in that direction with your community. Montgomery is certainly a much cooler town now than when I went to high school there, and now Birmingham is being touted as a travel destination... sigh, if only Atlanta would do something worthwhile with our downtown. But hey, they're turning Underground into chain retail and apartments with 2,200 new parking spaces (in addition to the 2 existing parking decks on those blocks)!

So the next time I go in there, all I need to say is that I know McLoofus??? 

I'm on my phone right now. Just woke up in New Orleans (I went to sleep here too, I think). Point is that Huntsville has been doing some amazing things with the city lately, too. Later, I'll join this conversation entirely. 

On another note, what's a good beer bar in NOLA? They start drinking early here... 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

So the next time I go in there, all I need to say is that I know McLoofus??? 

I'm on my phone right now. Just woke up in New Orleans (I went to sleep here too, I think). Point is that Huntsville has been doing some amazing things with the city lately, too. Later, I'll join this conversation entirely. 

On another note, what's a good beer bar in NOLA? They start drinking early here... 

Same with phone posting, but Avenue Pub all day.

Archived