Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

35 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

67530E0A-7EC8-47B8-845A-89981754ED9F_zps

@Bigbens42 uh....dude. Ten Fidy BBA...man this thing is fantastic!

Take it slow and let it warm. I drank the first of mine in a hurry and it knocked me on my ass. Too damn tasty to put down. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

I can't believe you got it at a Pig. I got it at a very big liquor store, and they only had one case. 

The guy that owns all of the franchises in the greater B'ham area is a craft beer lover and stocks some good'uns. They don't get a huge selection, but they generally have at least one or two gems on hand. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Take it slow and let it warm. I drank the first of mine in a hurry and it knocked me on my ass. Too damn tasty to put down. 

One of the best BBA I've had. Absolutley delicious. 

57 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

The guy that owns all of the franchises in the greater B'ham area is a craft beer lover and stocks some good'uns. They don't get a huge selection, but they generally have at least one or two gems on hand. 

Indeed, my best friend in high school who lives in Colorado now, is his nephew(as some of you know); and he's played a role in giving his uncle the knowledge of what craft beer drinkers like.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:43 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

0C35D3A7-3DF8-4596-89C0-58CAED8D39B0_zps

Floaties in plastic.

Do you know what the canning date was? The reason I ask is because I'm drinking one right now from early or mid December and I also noticed an abundance of floaties. When I first got this beer, fresh, it didn't have any(that I can recall). It's way past my usual IPA freshness time period, but it's serviceable. Hops have faded a bit, but the flavor up front is still good. I don't know if Crowd Control was a limited run or what, but we haven't seen any fresh cases drop since December.

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Do you know what the canning date was? The reason I ask is because I'm drinking one right now from early or mid December and I also noticed an abundance of floaties. When I first got this beer, fresh, it didn't have any(that I can recall). It's way past my usual IPA freshness time period, but it's serviceable. Hops have faded a bit, but the flavor up front is still good. I don't know if Crowd Control was a limited run or what, but we haven't seen any fresh cases drop since December.

I'm not sure what date those were canned. If I had to guess, it was December. I read the exact same thing on a beer page this week.

Wiseacre Rockets in the Complex imperial brown with cocoa nibs. Pretty decent. Certainly not a style I go after often. 

4hLPdve.jpg

And if you were wondering, the name is an homage to Goldeneye on N64. 

Nice. GoldenEye 64 is a classic from my childhood. .

LOL. Decant an IPA? Itsh poshible.

This is not impressive at all. Wife bought it on impulse. Tastes like a wheat base mixed with skunked AAL. 

IMG_20170408_191628608_zpserofvzln.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Good lord, the floaties, I mean CHUNKS, in this Crowd Control. Need to break out the cheese cloth.

bow02Wi.jpg

I've seen similar stuff in the "bargain bin" before.  Looks like blue cheese vinaigrette.

20 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Monday Night Brewing in Atlanta. Traveling has its privileges.

I think their labeling is hilarious. 

Just got back from NOLA. All those beers @Tiger Refuge has been telling us about... yeah, he's been humble all along. LA's IPA/APA game is STRONG. Like... holy crap. Parish everything, Great Raft Commotion (and Old Man Joy!), Bayou Teche Swamp Thing... too much goodness down there. Cloudy, fruity, hoppy, whatever you want. 

Also, I finally got to try Uncle Jacob's Stout at Avenue Pub. That does not taste like a 17% beer. Scary. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just got back from NOLA. All those beers @Tiger Refuge has been telling us about... yeah, he's been humble all along. LA's IPA/APA game is STRONG. Like... holy crap. Parish everything, Great Raft Commotion (and Old Man Joy!), Bayou Teche Swamp Thing... too much goodness down there. Cloudy, fruity, hoppy, whatever you want. 

Also, I finally got to try Uncle Jacob's Stout at Avenue Pub. That does not taste like a 17% beer. Scary. 

You're making me blush. Or maybe that's the BlueTarp. Anywho, glad you liked it! I'm always excited for people to get a taste of what's going on where I am. 

Added to my "hads" while in Atlanta. Raja by Avery, very nice, although a bit oldish. Juicin IPA by BlueTarp. Great flavor, low IBU. Monday Night Brewing Blind Pirate Blood Orange IPA, Experimental IPA, Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale. All very very good. Brought home their Georgian Imperial as part of the tour/tasting. Porter beer bar, had Ballast Point Manta Ray Imperial IPA, Scofflaw Sucker Punch IPA, Founders Nitro Breakfast Stout.

I used Lyft for the first time. Whew! Sign me up for another trip!

13 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Added to my "hads" while in Atlanta. Raja by Avery, very nice, although a bit oldish. Juicin IPA by BlueTarp. Great flavor, low IBU. Monday Night Brewing Blind Pirate Blood Orange IPA, Experimental IPA, Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale. All very very good. Brought home their Georgian Imperial as part of the tour/tasting. Porter beer bar, had Ballast Point Manta Ray Imperial IPA, Scofflaw Sucker Punch IPA, Founders Nitro Breakfast Stout.

I used Lyft for the first time. Whew! Sign me up for another trip!

Lyft is awesome. We used them a few times in NOLA. I think I've converted from Uber. 

Damn, I haven't even had Blue Tarp's IPA yet. Will have to look for it. They stay a bit under the radar, which is weird since their Funk Weisse is great. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Lyft is awesome. We used them a few times in NOLA. I think I've converted from Uber. 

Damn, I haven't even had Blue Tarp's IPA yet. Will have to look for it. They stay a bit under the radar, which is weird since their Funk Weisse is great. 

What's the difference between Lyft and Uber? We just added Lyft in Huntsville and I'm curious. 

As to beer, I had a couple this past week that I enjoyed. Terrapin Luau Krunkles is their "Passionfruit Orange Guava IPA." A mouthful, but I loved it. At 6.5% it's not necessarily a session IPA, but damn if it doesn't taste good after spending some time in the sun. 

Also, I think I may have tried the first "sour" that I think I could enjoy. Dogfish Head SeaQuence "Session Sour." Has some citrus in it and it's not very sour, which I guess might defeat the purpose, but for someone who doesn't like sours, I think it's a good introduction :)

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What's the difference between Lyft and Uber? We just added Lyft in Huntsville and I'm curious. 

In terms of practical use, not really much at all that I can tell. Lyft is a little cheaper, I think, maybe. 

Stopped at Rouse's up in Spanish Fort on trip back from TTown, and found three beers w./ Founders name on'em.

Many Thanks to this thread for knowledge they might be worth a try.

Dirty Bastard is excellent, but drifting out of season for me. Will go back to it in cooler times.

All Day IPA is pretty good but, between Fairhope Brewery and Dogfish Heads available more locally, probably won't make any special trips for it.

They had a few KBS but, at $6.5/bottle, I opted to wait and see if it's still available when cooler.

Again, Thanks.

14 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Stopped at Rouse's up in Spanish Fort on trip back from TTown, and found three beers w./ Founders name on'em.

Many Thanks to this thread for knowledge they might be worth a try.

Dirty Bastard is excellent, but drifting out of season for me. Will go back to it in cooler times.

All Day IPA is pretty good but, between Fairhope Brewery and Dogfish Heads available more locally, probably won't make any special trips for it.

They had a few KBS but, at $6.5/bottle, I opted to wait and see if it's still available when cooler.

Again, Thanks.

Agreed about All Day IPA. And you won't find KBS at a different time of year, unless there's a local bar sitting on a keg, which does happen. They release it this time of year and it's gone within a couple weeks. That said, $6.50 a bottle is more than you need to pay, and there are others that fit that profile that are comparable. Weyerbacher's Sunday Morning Stout would probably top that list for me. And easily found in 4 packs where distributed. 

Dirty Bastard is good. Backwoods Bastard is amazing. If you see it, buy it. It will still taste quite good whenever the weather suits. 

Archived