Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Sort'a?) speaking of Asheville,

Just learned French Broad has re-introduced their Rye Hopper (popular demand? Me, at least!) as an on-tap seasonal (fall, best season to go there). No word (I can find) on bottling.

18 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Impressive to be founded in 2012 and already bought out in just 5 years. 

I just read that the primary shareholder before the move is worth half a billion. Proactiv money. I'm guessing they had some advantages in addition to brewing great beer. 

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'm a bit amazed at the backlash surrounding WW selling out. Lots of angry people, more than I can ever recall after an acquisition. 

There are a few factors that I've pieced together. One, WW was sort of a big fish in a little pond. Which is a bad metaphor, because they're not actually a very large brewery. More in terms of quality. They are one of the few breweries in the southeast whose beers, in terms of quality and variety, are considered on par with some of the big boys around the country. So a lot of folks in the southeast feel like Peyton Manning just signed with the Patriots for more money. I think maybe WW meant a little more to people on a personal level than Goose Island did to the Chicago area, for example. They feel betrayed by their heroes. Also, WW was very, very ingrained in Asheville. They are one of the hubs of a pretty tight knit community. I think because of that and the fact that it kind of came out of nowhere, people are just shocked. I told a guy from Asheville who's not even that into beer about it and his reaction was pretty emotional. And then you see responses like Jester King's, and you realize that they were really ingrained in the craft beer community nationally. 

I don't understand why people get emotional about it, though, other than to maybe dislike ABInbev that much more. People gotta eat. Just send your money elsewhere if you don't like it. Oh, and also, maybe do a little research. Turns out that WW was majority owned by some guy worth $500 million, and he's the one who sold. At least that's how I understand it. 

I guess some aspects or facets of the 'big beer' buyouts of craft brews remains to be seen. I read a cool article yesterday(on the FB...I can't find it ATM) that was an interview with an insider at a recently bought out craft brewery. They said that essentially nothing had changed. In fact, they said that no one was let go and that even folks who were "duplicates" for things that the buyout brought in (ie, payroll, financials, etc), those folks were plugged in to new areas within the company where their talents could be put to use. In other words, they went out of their way NOT to let anyone go. 

I get the emotional side of it. It's like you help to build the unicorn, then everyone slowly gets to see how awesome "your" unicorn is. Everyone that hears about the unicorn wants to ride it. All of a sudden, your unicorn has a bunch of baby unicorns (through immaculate conception...of course) and now everyone gets to ride one. Your unicorn is still there and still pretty awesome, but you feel a bit betrayed. 

I'm weird. It's Friday and I need to ride my unicorn. 

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I guess some aspects or facets of the 'big beer' buyouts of craft brews remains to be seen. I read a cool article yesterday(on the FB...I can't find it ATM) that was an interview with an insider at a recently bought out craft brewery. They said that essentially nothing had changed. In fact, they said that no one was let go and that even folks who were "duplicates" for things that the buyout brought in (ie, payroll, financials, etc), those folks were plugged in to new areas within the company where their talents could be put to use. In other words, they went out of their way NOT to let anyone go.  

I've heard this, also, from a guy at Terrapin. The employees were more than happy to have the security and backing of Miller.

I get the emotional side of it. It's like you help to build the unicorn, then everyone slowly gets to see how awesome "your" unicorn is. Everyone that hears about the unicorn wants to ride it. All of a sudden, your unicorn has a bunch of baby unicorns (through immaculate conception...of course) and now everyone gets to ride one. Your unicorn is still there and still pretty awesome, but you feel a bit betrayed. 

Dude. Can you be my full time metaphor hookup? LOVE IT. And you're right. I do get why people have emotional kneejerk reactions at first. I just don't get some of the ongoing self righteousness from a lot of peripheral people on the scene. As for my friend from Asheville, I do get that, too. Who TF wants AB setting up shop in downtown Asheville? What's next, a Guy Fieri restaurant? That I definitely understand. 

Had lunch at Wrecking Bar today. There are a lot of amazing NE style IPAs these days. Their Juice Willis is one of them. Also started out with a true-to-style ESB. Dreary day here. It felt right. 

Recent beers:

Lucky Town(Jackson, MS) Hop Fiasco IPA: Meh. 

Caldera(Ashland, Oregon) Hopportunity Knocks IPA: Meh. 

Tallgrass(Manhattan, KS) The Grizz DIPA: Meh. 

Founders Sumatra Mountain Imperial Brown: hands down, my favorite brown ale. Big coffee flavors and a chewy mouthfeel for the 9.5% brown. Definitely "dangerous". 

Lagunitas Waldo's Special DIPA: Great. Biiiig DIPA at 11.5%. So dank. 

Edit to last night...

I had Lagunitas Undercover ESB. I'm confused about this style. Not really sure what it's supposed to taste like. It was palatable. Not sure if I would necessarily seek it out again.

Been cutting back on the beer, what with a baby due any day now

But I am finishing mowing grass, and have a Westbrook Key Lime Pie Gose awaiting me when I get done. :beer2:

21 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had Lagunitas Undercover ESB. I'm confused about this style. Not really sure what it's supposed to taste like. It was palatable. Not sure if I would necessarily seek it out again.

Other than IPAs, Lagunitas doesn't care so much about style guidelines. I was actually talking to their local rep about it the other night. A good example is their scotch ale, Davey Murray's. 52 IBUs, where 35 is the top end of the style. (Allow me to pause a moment to push my tape-protected horn-rimmed glasses up on my nose.) Good beer, but if you had me blind taste it, I'm not positive I'd identify it as a scotch ale. 

Actually had a Redhook ESB recently. More true to style. Good beer. Fuller's is a good one, too. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Other than IPAs, Lagunitas doesn't care so much about style guidelines. I was actually talking to their local rep about it the other night. A good example is their scotch ale, Davey Murray's. 52 IBUs, where 35 is the top end of the style. (Allow me to pause a moment to push my tape-protected horn-rimmed glasses up on my nose.) Good beer, but if you had me blind taste it, I'm not positive I'd identify it as a scotch ale. 

Actually had a Redhook ESB recently. More true to style. Good beer. Fuller's is a good one, too. 

Redhook...check. I remember seeing it in WV last year. 

I am headed to DC in a few weeks. Anybody got any tips for me? I'll be there for 4 days, so I'll have a little bit of time.

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I am headed to DC in a few weeks. Anybody got any tips for me? I'll be there for 4 days, so I'll have a little bit of time.

Churchkey. One of the great beer bars in the country, a la Avenue Pub and the Porter. Also, Bluejacket makes really good beers. They're owned by the same people, I think?

Man. Should be an awesome time to be up there. If you really get some free time and you're into such, and haven't been before, Udvar-Hazy is worth the drive. But not at the expense of seeing all the stuff on and around the National Mall if you have to make a choice.

All the ethnic food. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Redhook...check. I remember seeing it in WV last year. 

ChurchKey is the main beer bar I've seen mentioned in numerous places in the past. 

DC has weird distribution laws, where there aren't any. Owners can bring in beer from any market and sell them in their establishments. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Churchkey. One of the great beer bars in the country, a la Avenue Pub and the Porter. Also, Bluejacket makes really good beers. They're owned by the same people, I think?

Man. Should be an awesome time to be up there. If you really get some free time and you're into such, and haven't been before, Udvar-Hazy is worth the drive. But not at the expense of seeing all the stuff on and around the National Mall if you have to make a choice.

All the ethnic food. 

Yeah, I fly in on Memorial Day. I'll have all of that afternoon to do whatever. Then I'll be between Falls Church,VA and Capitol Hill Tues-Thurs. Talk about a fish out of water.....

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, I fly in on Memorial Day. I'll have all of that afternoon to do whatever. Then I'll be between Falls Church,VA and Capitol Hill Tues-Thurs. Talk about a fish out of water.....

Oh man. Could be an interesting day to fly into the nation's capital. Hope you have a window you can see out of on the way in, it's a good view. 

Which airport do you fly into? If it's Dulles, then you'll be right next to Udvar-Hazy when you land. If it's Reagan, then you could go by Arlington and see the Pentagon from the road on the way into the District. Arlington might be really crowded on Memorial Day, but seeing the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a special experience. 

guards_tomb_unknown

I'll be flying into Reagan. I have requested a window seat...so we will see. 

I have only been to DC once about 8 years ago. Got to see the Pentagon memorial for 9/11, Arlington National, and a host of stuff on the Mall. I could literally spend a week up there doing nothing but touring around. Those museums are mindblowing. 

I'll check into Churchkey. Travelling alone has it's privileges. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'll be flying into Reagan. I have requested a window seat...so we will see. 

I have only been to DC once about 8 years ago. Got to see the Pentagon memorial for 9/11, Arlington National, and a host of stuff on the Mall. I could literally spend a week up there doing nothing but touring around. Those museums are mindblowing. 

I'll check into Churchkey. Travelling alone has it's privileges. 

Amen. 

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'll be passing through Nashville on Memorial Day. Hoping the brewery I want to stop by is open...for myself and to send you some. 

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39925/

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'll be passing through Nashville on Memorial Day. Hoping the brewery I want to stop by is open...for myself and to send you some. 

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39925/

Nice! Great looking beer list.

I just looked online at Churchkey Bar...whoa!

Archived