Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Per Jeopardy (Final, Category = "International Beverage Brands"), as broadcast by the local channel available to my So.Ala. abode:

"The name of this popular beer brand, founded in 1897, is a reference to the 20th century."

Dos Equis?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Dos Equis?

My guess too. 

Maui coconut porter. A buddy brought it back. I like the way they handle the coconut- more in the nose and throat than on the palate- and this guy seems really food friendly, but I don't have food and I'm craving something else. Especially after seeing all these damned Parish posts ;)

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dos Equis?

21 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

My guess too. 

Correct sirs, though (like me, couch sitting)

you didn't ask "what is......"

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maui coconut porter. A buddy brought it back. I like the way they handle the coconut- more in the nose and throat than on the palate- and this guy seems really food friendly, but I don't have food and I'm craving something else. Especially after seeing all these damned Parish posts ;)

I'll admit,

starting to feel like Tantalus.

It was very very good. Had a hint of pineapple/sweet. Nice orange peel, no hop bite. Mild malt backbone. Had it before a DDH. I almost have to have another beer  before or after so I can contrast.

Sometimes,

Old-standard ordinary is OK, and even appropriate.

Roasted corned beef, stir-fried cabbage (balsamic quench), and plain-old Guiness. I'd send you a picture, but it's just an empty bottle.

Erin go Bragh (for today, anyway).

Be careful out there.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:17 PM, AUinTLoosa said:

Sometimes,

Old-standard ordinary is OK, and even appropriate.

Roasted corned beef, stir-fried cabbage (balsamic quench), and plain-old Guiness. I'd send you a picture, but it's just an empty bottle.

Erin go Bragh (for today, anyway).

Be careful out there.

Very glad you found some Guinness. I wasn't sure if I'd left any for others Friday. 

Drank a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA last night. The last time I had one was years ago. Even better than I remembered. I love the style. Big malty, caramel backbone. My kind of IPA. 

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Drank a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA last night. The last time I had one was years ago. Even better than I remembered. I love the style. Big malty, caramel backbone. My kind of IPA. 

Haven't had one in ages, either. Really need to revisit. 

On 3/22/2017 at 9:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Haven't had one in ages, either. Really need to revisit. 

Drinking one as we speak. 

Where are you thinking about relocating to @AUinTLoosa?

14 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Drinking one as we speak. 

Where are you thinking about relocating to @AUinTLoosa?

I have very high hopes of finally getting my doctorate, end of this semester (though my wife, an MD, will tell you that a PhD ain't no real doctor). Got family property on Fish River (almost exactly between Fairhope and Foley, Baldwin Co.) that we've rebuilt on, and she's already down there. I've been back-and-forth-and-... while writing, defending dissertation, and (hope, hope) the 2-yr extended household move will be done soon. I have every hope of dying down there, with my butt in an inner tube and a crowler of Fairhope Brewer's wares on my belly button.

WDE

2 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I have very high hopes of finally getting my doctorate, end of this semester (though my wife, an MD, will tell you that a PhD ain't no real doctor). Got family property on Fish River (almost exactly between Fairhope and Foley, Baldwin Co.) that we've rebuilt on, and she's already down there. I've been back-and-forth-and-... while writing, defending dissertation, and (hope, hope) the 2-yr extended household move will be done soon. I have every hope of dying down there, with my butt in an inner tube and a crowler of Fairhope Brewer's wares on my belly button.

WDE

Very nice! My mother lives down that way in Elberta, just east of Foley. What's your PhD in, if you don't mind me asking?

16 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Very nice! My mother lives down that way in Elberta, just east of Foley. What's your PhD in, if you don't mind me asking?

No problem. Civil Engineering (focused on Environmental).

Elberta's always been on my route to P'cola (we're within sight of where Co. 32 crosses the river), and becomes an actual destination come Sausage Festival.

ETA - Shoot! Just looked it up and I might miss the Sausage Fest this year. It's, like, soon. Damn' Tloosa.

Hate to miss a good sausage party... :tease:  No, for real, a Sausage Fest anywhere near the S AL/S GA/N FL/Panhandle area sounds awesome, because it really is its own thing down there. I'll be surprised if there's ever a day where I consider Conecuh to be outside of the state's top 5 exports, football and music included. 

Slightly outside of the top 5 for me is Good People's Hitchhiker IPA. It was fine. I would have no problem sipping a few of them on a sunny day if that's what's available. But I'm still looking for a really great IPA from AL. I'm not a Snake Handler or Monkey/Gorillanaut believer. 

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hate to miss a good sausage party... :tease:  No, for real, a Sausage Fest anywhere near the S AL/S GA/N FL/Panhandle area sounds awesome, because it really is its own thing down there. I'll be surprised if there's ever a day where I consider Conecuh to be outside of the state's top 5 exports, football and music included. 

Slightly outside of the top 5 for me is Good People's Hitchhiker IPA. It was fine. I would have no problem sipping a few of them on a sunny day if that's what's available. But I'm still looking for a really great IPA from AL. I'm not a Snake Handler or Monkey/Gorillanaut believer. 

My God, that's some fine sausage.

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My God, that's some fine sausage.

You'll appreciate this. A buddy of mine has inlaws outside Jackson, MS. Naturally, they do crawfish boils for family get togethers. He took down some Conecuh- not the thick original, but the thinner hickory smoked variety that I think has become more common- to throw in the pot. He said the locals scoffed at first, but not long after it was all dumped on the table, they were all saying, "Where's the skinny sausage?" I love getting to give people Conecuh for the first time. I actually get to do it on occasion since I live in Atlanta and they sell it here. They're usually blown away.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for a beer pairing, I'm all ears. A run of the mill IPA does great, but I'd love to nail it with something special. Conecuh deserves that respect.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You'll appreciate this. A buddy of mine has inlaws outside Jackson, MS. Naturally, they do crawfish boils for family get togethers. He took down some Conecuh- not the thick original, but the thinner hickory smoked variety that I think has become more common- to throw in the pot. He said the locals scoffed at first, but not long after it was all dumped on the table, they were all saying, "Where's the skinny sausage?" I love getting to give people Conecuh for the first time. I actually get to do it on occasion since I live in Atlanta and they sell it here. They're usually blown away.

If anyone has a strong recommendation for a beer pairing, I'm all ears. A run of the mill IPA does great, but I'd love to nail it with something special. Conecuh deserves that respect.  

I was born and raised in Jackson. Small world.

That sausage rarely makes it to the kitchen if it's being grilled. Or I have to double the amount being cooked. And you NAILED it on adding it to a crawfish boil....along with some onions, garlic, etc. You know my favorite thing to do when the crawfish are done cooking? I'll throw a couple of whole chickens to the pot of crawfish boil and cook those badboys in that awesomely seasoned water. Best chicken salad evar.

Geeze I'm ready for a beer.

29 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I was born and raised in Jackson. Small world.

Same people turned me onto Shapley's seasoning. Staple go-to all-purpose seasoning in our house. Not sure if you can get it anymore? 

You know my favorite thing to do when the crawfish are done cooking? I'll throw a couple of whole chickens to the pot of crawfish boil and cook those badboys in that awesomely seasoned water.

No kidding? That makes really good sense. Gonna have to try that!

Geeze I'm ready for a beer.

I think you just posted on everybody's behalf. I'm working from home today. Hmmm...

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked up a new one for me. A kolsch brewed in collaboration between my local Great Raft and Burial out of Asheville. Chilling it now.

Burial's not messing around. I have on good authority that Great Raft isn't, either. Looking forward to the review.

Archived