Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Worthwhile find over the weekend, but not sure if I'll ever see it again.

A six pack of Yellow Rose Smash IPA (Lone Pint Brewery, Magnolia, TX) arrived with my locust horde. Only got half of one. Excellent hop. Really have to look real hard to find even trace sharp bitterness. Much rounder (?good term?). Bottle brags about fruitiness, but I mostly get herbals and florals*. TR#4 if available. I could send you a picture but, alas, it's just an empty bottle.

* This review, and any others I present, must take into account that I smoke ~1 1/2 pks Camel non-filters a day.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Worthwhile find over the weekend, but not sure if I'll ever see it again.

A six pack of Yellow Rose Smash IPA (Lone Pint Brewery, Magnolia, TX) arrived with my locust horde. Only got half of one. Excellent hop. Really have to look real hard to find even trace sharp bitterness. Much rounder (?good term?). Bottle brags about fruitiness, but I mostly get herbals and florals*. TR#4 if available. I could send you a picture but, alas, it's just an empty bottle.

* This review, and any others I present, must take into account that I smoke ~1 1/2 pks Camel non-filters a day.

Rounder is a great word. Great review all around. As for 30 non-filters a day... your taste buds must all be named Chuck Norris...

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Rounder is a great word. Great review all around. As for 30 non-filters a day... your taste buds must all be named Chuck Norris...

Pretty much. Also, smoke can even react w./drink and create new chemicals (my most glaring experience - Sobranye, a Russian cigarette makes an actual soap with scotch on the tongue).

Nose, however, has (surprisingly?) held up pretty well.

Had a bomber of Stone's Give Me IPA or Give Me Death. Brewed with raspberries and blackberries(?). This one came out of their Virginia facility. Meh. Decent IPA, but not my preferred style. Megawheat was better. 

The guy that owns Parish is on a mission to brew the best beer around. Between him and Great Raft battling for best brewery in state, us Louisiana folks are winning.

In the mean time, I've been reading about hop varieties. Who knew?

Man I hope those Parish ales get down here eventually. 

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The guy that owns Parish is on a mission to brew the best beer around. Between him and Great Raft battling for best brewery in state, us Louisiana folks are winning.

Competition is a beautiful thing! What's so cool about the beer industry, as was mentioned a bit the other day, is that a lot of times these guys are hanging out and sharing their ideas, too, so there's a weird combination of competition and collaboration that pushes it even further. And like you said, you're a winner because of it, too. 

I guess it's kind of like football, actually, except the process is sped up by folks just giving each other ideas instead of having to wait to steal them, lol.

Those photos are beautiful. I'm jealous. I'll definitely be on the hunt for anything Parish in a month. 

Finally, enough of a "cold" snap to show off Fairhope Brewery's Kingslayer in its primary habitat.

esVF8Iz.jpg

Plenty of "heft" without much "weight." Lots of roasty cocoa, but only the baking/unsweetened kind. No trace of anything "chocolate." Can't find the hops without looking, but serves to make the hefty totality very clean. Perfect sorbet for a peaty scotch. At 9.3% ABV, probably one few would call a session brew. Pairing w./ the whiskey - I only try this at home, kids.

cBTSoHS.jpg

In a thread full of really, really fun posts... that one stands out, @AUinTLoosa.

Not only did you describe the Kingslayer as my ideal stout, but Lagavulin... I mean, let's just pause a moment to soak in the name. Lagavulin. Can a word be considered onomatopoeia when it describes something that doesn't make a sound? Highly evocative at the least. Anyway, I have a physical and emotional reaction just to hearing the name of that whisky. I have problems.

Should've pegged you for an Islay man. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In a thread full of really, really fun posts... that one stands out, @AUinTLoosa.

Not only did you describe the Kingslayer as my ideal stout, but Lagavulin... I mean, let's just pause a moment to soak in the name. Lagavulin. Can a word be considered onomatopoeia when it describes something that doesn't make a sound? Highly evocative at the least. Anyway, I have a physical and emotional reaction just to hearing the name of that whisky. I have problems.

Should've pegged you for an Islay man. 

Actually new to me (Christmas from son-in-law). It's a go-to now though. Far better balanced than the Laphroaig.

Speaking of names, I regret Googling your parentage. Urban Dictionary has nothing complimentary to say about Loofus.

I should note that they don't bottle the (seasonal) Kingslayer, but do ship (pencil) kegs out to bars.

4 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Actually new to me (Christmas from son-in-law). It's a go-to now though. Far better balanced than the Laphroaig.

Your son in law can't be all bad. I like Laphroaig, but I also like old Metallica and authentically spicy Thai food.

Speaking of names, I regret Googling your parentage. Urban Dictionary has nothing complimentary to say about Loofus.

Um, yeah, so I had no idea about any of that. I made the name up one day and it made my wife laugh, so I rolled with it. I might have to restructure my whole social media footprint now. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@McLoofus Did you say old school Metallica? Hells yes. 

71E699CF-0BDB-4ABF-9074-A983DABB9F2E_zps

Well, lunch just got interesting...

Lol at whatever it was you had planned for the rest of your afternoon. Hark, the herald angels sing...

That Parish Grand Reserve is so freaking good. Scary drinkable at that ABV. If Firestone Walker put it out, everybody in the country would know about it. And I know this because not all heroes wear capes...

Currently telecommuting from the patio at the local pub. Burial Surf Wax... daaaank. Definitely more in that skunky NE tradition we were just talking about, @ShocksMyBrain. Phenomenal. 

Scofflaw Sneaky Wheat... more of a weizenbock, IMO, than the "American pale wheat" it's described as on the draft list. Good, once I realized what it was. 8.5... whoops. 

Since y'all brought up Old Rasputin the other day...

IMG_20170303_175946387_zpsaakoi92m.jpg

It's good. The nose has a lot going on, but the taste is relatively subdued. Taste is woody Old Rasputin with a hint of bourbon. Smooth. 12.1 abv hard to detect in the taste, but really boozy on the nose.

Given what I paid for it, I would not buy again. BBA Ten Fidy was better.

Haven't had this one in a minute, but the mood struck me while picking some things up for a friend. ;)

IMG_20170304_143841148_zps4fskopps.jpg

Archived