SEC Coaches' votes in ESPN poll

Boss

Scarbinsky's article in today's B'ham News is very interesting. He basically says that the SEC has seven coaches that vote in the ESPN poll, including CTT. So far, CTT is the only one that has voted AU #1. It looks as though Nutt will do so if we run the table and go 12-0. If the other 5 do so as well, this could be huge for us. However, if they don't, payback could be hell. Let's say maybe Tenn is in the same position in a couple of years (I'm only using Tenn as an example....it could be GA, LSU, etc), CTT could get even. If AU goes 12-0 and does notget the #1 vote of every single of the seven coaches who vote in the ESPN poll, this would be a disgrace to not only AU, but the entire SEC. We are the toughest conference in the USA. If we win out, things don't look so bad if the other coaches cooperate.

Here's the link:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...81717273181.xml

The SEC is not only the toughest but I think it's also the most competitive too...and that's exactly why I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the other coaches in the SEC to vote for Auburn.

Besides, if Auburn wins out, the popular vote won't mean as much as the electoral votes. :)

Plus, it would only make their team look better with a loss to a National Championship team, and not just Auburn. Does anyone know how many coaches from the BigVII get a vote? Hopefully its less than the SEC.

Maybe we can steal some Mountain West coaches... you know, since our conferences are comparable and all.

i realize this may be a unique year where we have an undefeated team from 4 major conferences vying for #1, but i hate to see it come down to a conference loyalty/pride contest ever, not just this year. in most years, by the end of the year, its pretty easy to pick the top 2-3 teams in the nation w/o much fanfare, but if all 4 teams in question (and utah, i guess) finish undefeated, and the media start playing up the "conference bloc voting" angle, that's going to be a negative on the whole process, instead of a positive..."your team got to play in the NC game because it had 7 votes instead of 5" ?

you could have some coaches sabotage a team from the other conference by placing them at the bottom of the list of undefeateds, thereby offsetting another guy's moving them up a spot...

now, i absolutely believe coaches vote w/ conference ramifications in mind, but i hate to see it get publicized to the point of public scrutiny...i guess that's my point.

of the remaining 5 undefeated teams, i also feel auburn has the toughest row to hoe by far, and therefore our chances of reaching 12-0 are much less likely...another reason i hate to see all this fuss this early.

yet, i love the excitement of still being in "a" hunt, much less "THE" hunt this late in the season!!!

war eagle to all! :cheer::football::cheer:

ct

First off...the coaches poll is the worst anyway. Most football coaches have NO time to look at the other teams in other conferences or even within their own conference when they are not on the schedule. Most coaches rely heavy on the ADs to help out...Heck even Dye admitted once that he just gave the ballot to the AD to fill out be he didn't have the time. And CTT has said he fills out his with input from others in the AD office.

The other SEC coaches NOT voting AU higher speaks volumes with how our conference is becoming more and more like the old SWC. It's jealousy and wanting no one else in the conference to do better than them. It started when we all started turning each other in in the recruiting wars, just like the old SWC. It used to be that all the coaches knew what was going on, but they had a silent code of not turning each other in...

This has trickled from the recruiting fields now to the playing field or more specifically...the coaches' poll. I like CTT's idea of a four team playoff...heck even the polls and computers could pick the best team out of four...couldn't they?

My two cents anyway...*steps off soapbox*

...As Tuberville prepares for the biggest game of his head coaching life, Nutt has a message for him.

If Auburn wins its next three games, the Arkansas coach is going to make the Tigers No. 1 on his ESPN/USA Today ballot.

"I'm just waiting for things to play out," Nutt said by phone Tuesday. "Tell Tommy I'm behind him and he's going to get my vote."...

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...81717273181.xml

Geez, guess I need to re-think my previous opinion of the old Nutt man... :blink:

The rest of them need to get with the program - the SEC program, that is!!!

Plus, it would only make their team look better with a loss to a National Championship team, and not just Auburn.  Does anyone know how many coaches from the BigVII get a vote?  Hopefully its less than the SEC.

120328[/snapback]

From article:

Nutt is one of seven SEC coaches who vote in the ESPN/USA Today poll. That should be good for Auburn because, while the Big 12 also has seven voters, the Pac-10 has just five.

WE BEAT UGA, BAMMER, AND UT...................................... Then we can scream if needed. Let's just kick UGA's backside right out of Alabama!

:puke::uga::puke::ua::puke::ut:

We can't win the MNC without the vote of the SEC coaches! Why any one of them would pick OU or USC over Auburn is a mystery to me, especially when we will probably have beaten all of them before the season is over. Granted, there is no love lost between LSU, Ole Miss, and Bammer, but they SHOULD be supportive of the SEC...................write letters, make noise, be heard..... :au::P:P

i would imagine that, within the conference, coaches will give us the nod at the end of the year IF we have played cleanly, have a clean program, and are generally respectful of other programs.

i also imagine that if a certain program within the SEC was rumored to have been cheating, then an SEC coach may not give them their vote....

just speculating.

ct

Coaches picks should be public. Whywould the big orange doghnut not vote for us? Before last saturday we were their only loss. UTK still was in the hunt for the Orange Bowl. Fulmer's head is as thick as his waistline.

Archived