Email From an UpDyke Friend After the IB

Elephant Tipper

Let me preface this by saying that this email is from one of my best friends since, well.........forever. His family and mine have been good friends for almost 100 years, literally. My family is all AU and his is all UA. He's an orthodontist by profession so you'd think he'd have better things to concern him, but apparently not. So here is the email exchange (one that other AU fans might encounter):

Email sent me:

Email title: Auburn's "catch" in 3rd qtr.

Football has some little known rules. Last week, Western Carolina running back fumbled, and as the ball is tumbling up field, a ref blows his whistle inadvertently. Alabama recovered, but the rule states that in the event of an inadvertent whistle the offense gets a choice of taking the play to that point, or redoing the play. Western Carolina was allowed to redo the plan, as the rule states, but that is a crazy rule that doesn’t address a whistle blown while no one has possession of the ball. Logic (to me) says Alabama should have had the ball but not be able to advance it.

Now, that controversial play that was reviewed for it seemed like 15 minutes in the 3rd quarter of the Iron Bowl.

NCAA Rule Book, Part 2, under "interpretations’’. Under the Completed Pass, Article 6, rule 7-3-6, section 2: Two opposing players receive a legal forward pass while both are off the ground, and one player returns to the ground inbounds before the other. Ruling: No simultaneous catch. The legal forward pass is completed or intercepted by the player who first returned to the ground:

https://vine.co/v/OnjUpvjT52l

Looks like the refs blew this one.

My response:

You're kidding me, right ? You're worried about this after having won one of the most spectacular IBs ? Just celebrate rather than writing a critique of the rules. Many times AU has suffered similar adverse calls in the IB. You UpDykes gripe when you lose and even when you win. Give it a rest. Just be happy and enjoy your success for the next 365 days rather than gripe.

War Eagle !!!

Well, there you have it AUFamily....the unhappiness of being an UpDyke, even when they win.

WDE !!!

BEAT BAMA !

Let me add this tidbit about my buddy. When we were students, I at AU and he at UA, I invited him and his wife to sit with me and my date in the AU student section when the game was played at Legion Field. Bear was coaching and they were winning. After each score he would stand and raise his arms in victory to taunt the AU fans. Finally, after doing this about 3 times someone hurled a bourbon and coke at him. Typical UpDyke. :zapbama:

This has always struck me as the core fundamental difference between Alabama and Auburn. Alabama fans treat winning an entitlement while Auburn fans find winning joyful.

Tie always go to the runner! In this case, bray had his whole forearm around the bal, refs got it right. They both had it but offensive player always get the nod when it's a tie up

Most are very upset inside that their "revenge win" didn't happen and they had to fight for their lives. They won't admit it now, but they were pooping their pants for most of that game in fear of a loss.

They were so sure Saban was going to embarrass AU for the Kick Six.

They are, on the whole, a miserable lot.

War Eagle!!

Most are very upset inside that their "revenge win" didn't happen and they had to fight for their lives. They won't admit it now, but they were popping their pants for most of that game in fear of a loss.

War Eagle!!

Yes they are. And just like us,they are forever anticipating to find out as to whom our dcoordinator is gonna be, because like I told them, offensively, Gus owns little Nicky, and they know it. I've been telling every bama fan merry Christmas, because those 3 dropped passes in the end zone were gifts from us to them. They were at our mercy until late in the 3rd qtr.

I anticipate that they will wind up in the title game and honestly, I don't see them losing unless FSU plays up to their talent level. FSU could lose Saturday. If Gus gets the defense fixed, he will win 75% of the time against Nicky. If LSU can ever find a quarterback, they will be hell sure enough. Florida if they get the right hire will be fantastic. I think Jones at UT is moving in the right direction. UGA is always a threat. Freeze if he stays at ole miss can be very good also. SEC is going to be wide open.

Your friend is arguing the wrong rule. It was a "simultaneous catch" situation - not a "completed pass". Here is Alabama arguing for us in this situation during a UAT-LSU game a few years back.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1125417.html

What matters most here is that your UAT buddy is an idiot for even caring. I bet he is also sure that the "uncatchable ball" was the wrong call as well.

Most are very upset inside that their "revenge win" didn't happen and they had to fight for their lives. They won't admit it now, but they were popping their pants for most of that game in fear of a loss.

War Eagle!!

I love to be as miserable as they are right now sitting at #1 - packing my bags for a trip to Atlanta. ;)

Some folks get bammer genes and the lucky ones get Auburn genes. The bammer behavior is a genetic flaw that cannot be helped. So the next time you encounter a bammer with typical bammer behavior, smile and thank the Lord that he gave you orange and blue genes; indeed my Auburn brothers and sisters, you come from a superior gene pool!

Some folks get bammer genes and the lucky ones get Auburn genes. The bammer behavior is a genetic flaw that cannot be helped. So the next time you encounter a bammer with typical bammer behavior, smile and thank the Lord that he gave you orange and blue genes; indeed my Auburn brothers and sisters, you come from a superior gene pool!

LOVE IT! Best Post I've read all day.

For bammers(especially Saban) to complain about NOT getting a call to their benefit is laughable. I read an article today that where Saban was complaining. They are the most UNDER PENALIZED team in the history of football(ok maybe hyperbole). We have video of referees moving the football to give them a first down in past years. The spots on 3rd and 4th down in the redzone in Saturday's game. The holding that is epidemic with their offensive line which NEVER EVER gets called. What about the non-interference call on the throw to the endzone?

Holding and pass interference are the easiest and most influential calls/non-calls to control the game. If I can't get to your quarterback or get off a block, then I can run and give the QB time to pass. Being ticky-tack in relation to contact with receivers always puts the WR in better position to make a catch, or can flip the field with a pass interference call. Updykes almost always get the benefit on these calls.

bammers are just unbelievable.

War Eagle!!

I love to be as miserable as they are right now sitting at #1 - packing my bags for a trip to Atlanta. ;)/>

Would you be as miserable as they seem with their success?

It's as if they live their lives in the fear their success will eventually end soon and can't enjoy what they have in the here and now. I've never met any fan base complain as loudly as they do after a big win.

Simple fact is that they expected to embarrass us after the egg we laid in the UGA game. They didn't get that, so now they can't be happy with a simple win.

Archived