2017 4* LB Markail Benton (Bama 6/10/16)

WarEagleAU

glad this one turned out how it did, GAME FILM says everything on this one, recruit players that play the part and not those that look it

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SECCountry just reported that Benton told them about a month ago about his intention to commit to Alabama. Interesting, since his parents didn't know until last week of his decision.

Looks like he cited how Bama "has better coaching" than AU as a key reason he chose Bama. Curious to see how people spin this one

http://www.al.com/sp...enton_says.html

"what was he supposed to say?"

This isn't sour grapes, but I don't like that kind of stuff. Had he committed to Auburn today, even if it was because he thought we had better coaching, I'd rather he just say that we were just a better fit for him. Or say you just connected better with the staff. There's no need to knock other coaches.

I can guarantee you that the uat staff pretty much made Benton say what he said about the AU staff. And it was as classless as I've seen from any kid that has chosen uat over AU. It was uncalled for and Benton is a POS for saying such.

SECCountry just reported that Benton told them about a month ago about his intention to commit to Alabama. Interesting, since his parents didn't know until last week of his decision.

bull**** from SECCountry. Sorry for the language but it fits and I'll let it stand.

Let it be know now where we stand with anyone within 50 miles of the AU campus Justyn Ross. I don't want anyone on this board to be surprised next any year!

FIFY

Let it be know now where we stand with anyone within 50 miles of the AU campus Justyn Ross. I don't want anyone on this board to be surprised next any year!

FIFY

Yes but specific to Ross. Best friends with Benton and the #1 player in AL for 2018.

FIFY

Yes but specific to Ross. Best friends with Benton and the #1 player in AL for 2018.

I joined the Air Force. My best friend joined the Navy the same week. Being best friends doesn't mean you make the same career decisions.

FIFY

I joined the Air Force. My best friend joined the Navy the same week. Being best friends doesn't mean you make the same career decisions.

Ok. Don't say I didn't tell you so...

Looks like he cited how Bama "has better coaching" than AU as a key reason he chose Bama. Curious to see how people spin this one

http://www.al.com/sp...enton_says.html

"what was he supposed to say?"

This isn't sour grapes, but I don't like that kind of stuff. Had he committed to Auburn today, even if it was because he thought we had better coaching, I'd rather he just say that we were just a better fit for him. Or say you just connected better with the staff. There's no need to knock other coaches.

I can guarantee you that the uat staff pretty much made Benton say what he said about the AU staff. And it was as classless as I've seen from any kid that has chosen uat over AU. It was uncalled for and Benton is a POS for saying such.

I agree and hope we are done with Benton even when UAT plays the grayshirt card if he has another mediocre season.

FIFY

But in this case a guarantee if the other guy goes to bammer it will be some reason as to him not being that good or something like that of why we didn't want/need him.

I'mean with you WDE. A kid doesn't want to come to Auburn, so be it. But don't run your mouth and down grade anything about other schools recruiting you. I also agree he is a POS.

• 2 months later...

Being reported on another board that he has contacted Auburn coaches.  If true I assume he is ready to decommit and open his recruitment.  Again, don't know if true or not.

On 8/15/2016 at 1:54 PM, tinman said:

Being reported on another board that he has contacted Auburn coaches.  If true I assume he is ready to decommit and open his recruitment.  Again, don't know if true or not.

"I'm sorry, but we have lined up other prospects and are not interested at this time.  Have a nice day."

On 8/15/2016 at 1:54 PM, tinman said:

No. It just means he is open to communicate with AU per the original report. No word if AU is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 15, 2016 at 4:18 PM, tombigbeetiger said:

i hope the coaches tell this guy to just go on to tuscaloosa and take advantage of that "better coaching" that he'll get....no way i answer the phone for this classless punk

Lol you've never even met this kid but because he got caught up in the moment of recruiting as a high school kid and said something dumb he's a "classless punk" give me a break bro. Markail is a good kid who I've spoken to on multiple occasion. 

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Any news on Benton? Or is Taylor still our bigger push.

Auburn stopped recruiting him the day he picked Bama & disrespected our coaches with his comments and we never looked back. Also MB just had knee surgery. No point in start recruiting him now.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

And interesting to read the last few pages of "yester year" In light of recent developments.  

We apparently have been back on him the past month.

Archived