2017 4* LB Markail Benton (Bama 6/10/16)

WarEagleAU

Uat has no problem doing whatever it takes to get a kid. However, with their recent success on the field and the fact that they constantly have top flight lbs that are being taken early in the draft is intriguing to all these recruits. All of our recruits are also being told that we are likely to have a coaching change at the seasons end which is really hurting us. If we have a good season this year which I expect then all that talk will die down.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I really did think I'd seen a discussion of us being really high on Monty Rice. I stand corrected.

Even so, if you told me that our top six LBs were (in no particular order): Wooten, Moultry, Ignont, Benton, Rice, and Britt, then you told me we signed any four of those six... I'd be tickled pink. So I'll just say that I'm not worried about any particular guy in the group. I just want four LB signees in that group.

I agree 100%. Now,,,,,all we have to do is sign four of 'em. Recent history doesn't favor us on that. :devil:

UAT knows how to develop LBs and put them in the league.

Auburn, not so much, at least not recently.

Yea, I get that, but at the same time, he has to have known, for the past 2 years, their track record for getting linebacker's recruited vs ours. That can't be new news to him.

The only thing I can think is that they are attacking T-Will somehow... or trying to buy Benton.

Don't know how much time MB has spent in Tuscaloosa prior to his recent trip, but I'm sure meeting LBs on their roster that are introduced as "Say hello to Mr. X, projected to be a 1st round pick.... and here is Mr. Y, projected to go high in the 2nd round...." made an impression.

Interesting. I really did think I'd seen a discussion of us being really high on Monty Rice. I stand corrected.

Even so, if you told me that our top six LBs were (in no particular order): Wooten, Moultry, Ignont, Benton, Rice, and Britt, then you told me we signed any four of those six... I'd be tickled pink. So I'll just say that I'm not worried about any particular guy in the group. I just want four LB signees in that group.

I agree 100%. Now,,,,,all we have to do is sign four of 'em. Recent history doesn't favor us on that. :devil:

Not making any specific allegations, but UAT has to be offering something far sweeter than high-grade B.S. to change so many minds and hearts. Of course, half the time it is just to keep a player from signing at Auburn, not because they are destined to play significant minutes at UAT. They even got RF to change his mind after getting an Auburn tattoo. I think it is mostly to laud it over us and try to show they can do it whenever they want.

I think it is mostly to laud it over us and try to show they can do it whenever they want.

I'm sure that's an underlying factor in some minds, but the motivation is mostly that keeps our D from reaching full potential. They know they won't be able to beat Gus consistently in offensive recruiting, but all they have to take away is one position on D and we're easier to beat. They have been focusing on Linebacker. It's actually a really smart, all be it underhanded, strategy. Of course, it also borders on poor sportsmanship.

Yep CW was #1 on our board. E that's just my opinion that loosing them would be big. Benton CW TD and WI were the top lbs on our board. I don't know the true order of those besides CW being at the top. My personal order of those guys would be CW TD MB then WI. If MB has the type of swnior year he is capable of he moves to the top of this list. This being the MB thread I will say that when u put as much time and effort into recruiting a guy as we have him, and the fact he has been a silent commit for so long losing him would def be a big deal.

Interesting question for you, since you are more connected to recruiting than pretty much anyone. What kinds of things could a school like bama say to a kid who has been all Auburn for so long that would make him flip. I mean, if he's been on board as long as he has, then he knows he has the opportunity to come in and be the man from day one, which would in no way happen at bama. He knows the drastic difference between the two school's environments and obviously chose Auburn back when he silently committed. I'm sure he was also excited about being part of a turn around at that position. I'm just intrigued as to what could be done, other than something illegal, to make a kid who was all Auburn say, you know what, I'm going to give up early playing time to be be a part of the system instead of part of the family.

I'll say it.....show me the money. It's a business decision.

Yep CW was #1 on our board. E that's just my opinion that loosing them would be big. Benton CW TD and WI were the top lbs on our board. I don't know the true order of those besides CW being at the top. My personal order of those guys would be CW TD MB then WI. If MB has the type of swnior year he is capable of he moves to the top of this list. This being the MB thread I will say that when u put as much time and effort into recruiting a guy as we have him, and the fact he has been a silent commit for so long losing him would def be a big deal.

Interesting question for you, since you are more connected to recruiting than pretty much anyone. What kinds of things could a school like bama say to a kid who has been all Auburn for so long that would make him flip. I mean, if he's been on board as long as he has, then he knows he has the opportunity to come in and be the man from day one, which would in no way happen at bama. He knows the drastic difference between the two school's environments and obviously chose Auburn back when he silently committed. I'm sure he was also excited about being part of a turn around at that position. I'm just intrigued as to what could be done, other than something illegal, to make a kid who was all Auburn say, you know what, I'm going to give up early playing time to be be a part of the system instead of part of the family.

I'd totally go there, too, but I hate to assume that these kids can be bought. I like to think there is integrity left in the world.

I'd totally go there, too, but I hate to assume that these kids can be bought. I like to think there is integrity left in the world.

Wish I could, too. I'd enjoy sports a lot more.

Edit: There is definitely integrity in sports. Lots of it. But there are also unimaginable sums of money in sports. The more there is of the latter, the more diluted the former becomes. That applies to every aspect of life, including college sports. Also, some of these kids aren't really in a position to turn down whatever's being offered.

It is what it is.....I wish it wasn't but recruiting is a dirty game especially in this state and in that program.

It is what it is.....I wish it wasn't but recruiting is a dirty game especially in this state and in that program.

Don't get me wrong... i know bama has boosters with big money "bumping into" these kids constantly. I just like to think that a good portion of the kids know its cheating and say 'no'.

And yea, Loof... I also get that a lot of these kids are in a position that saying no means not paying bills and such. I certainly don't look down on those kids for choosing the rule violating side of a tough decision.

CW was #1? When he was a three star I said he was the guy I wanted most....the coaches asked me what I thought and they ran with it. I told y'all...insider

CW was #1? When he was a three star I said he was the guy I wanted most....the coaches asked me what I thought and they ran with it. I told y'all...insider

:bow:

We know you keep saying it. ;) Seriously I do remember you saying CW was your #1.

I've watched each guy listed perform at combines and watched their highlight films, I'm just a HS football coach but KJ Britt is the best LB in the South in my opinion. Dude is a special player in my eyes.

I've watched each guy listed perform at combines and watched their highlight films, I'm just a HS football coach but KJ Britt is the best LB in the South in my opinion. Dude is a special player in my eyes.

From what I've seen, he has been very undervalued. I think you could be correct in your evaluation.

From what I've seen, he has been very undervalued. I think you could be correct in your evaluation.

Britt is my #1

Britt is my #1

I thought Bird was your #1

We know you keep saying it. ;)/> Seriously I do remember you saying CW was your #1.

I was just trying to be funny. I don't consider myself an insider so I joke about it

Until we develop LB's they will always end up at other schools. It sucks but in reality we haven't had a LB drafted in years. I was really shocked at how Cass and Frost weren't drafted. Tre Williams will be drafted, but the turds could have 2 more drafted by that time. I personally think the NFL is popularity contest because the Turds get them drafted but they aren't all that great either. We have probably the most rookie free agents make NFL rosters than anyone. Bias I tell you, bias

Britt is uga bound. FWIW. But it is only June.

Britt is my #1

Yep bird's right up there with ga. tech as my fav's

We know you keep saying it. ;)/> Seriously I do remember you saying CW was your #1.

I was just trying to be funny. I don't consider myself an insider so I joke about it

Just giving you a hard time. It's only June :hellyeah:

Britt is uga bound. FWIW. But it is only June.

golf is not happy.................. :pcprobs:

Britt is my #1

Yep bird's right up there with ga. tech as my fav's

Damn! That's a low blow

Archived