IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

6 minutes ago, tinman said:

This situation is not much different than Gymnastics has been for years.  Parents have been spending thousands of $$$ for training, coaches, schools & have even let their small kids (6 years or so) live away from home.  All in hopes of making it to the Olympics.   In the case of IMG it is to make it to college & eventually  the NFL.

Problem is, those kids would've made it to D1 schools even without IMG.  In HS, 1 player can make a team substantially better and when a coach's job is based in W/L, taking that kid away is not right.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, fredst said:

I have a friend who sent his daughter there for soccer. She was a mediocre player but he’s paying $75k+ a year to have her there getting trained, etc. Maybe it will “pay off” with a college scholarship...he’ll be $300k in at that point, lol. Some people have more money than sense I guess....

For that kind of money he could have sent her to the college of her choice. people paying $75,000 a year to send a kid to school are not doing it for the college scholarship.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

For that kind of money he could have sent her to the college of her choice. people paying $75,000 a year to send a kid to school are not doing it for the college scholarship.

For that kind of money, I'll become a private coach

On 2/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, GwillMac6 said:

looks like we can take some lessons from a high school when it comes to our locker room and facility upgrades! lol

This is our problem with IMG...our facilities are a step down for any kid coming from there, lol.

Just now, fredst said:

This is our problem with IMG...our facilities are a step down for any kid coming from there, lol.

NO ONE talks about the img to Auburn curse! I GUESS Asa broke it buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut he also went back to alabama when he signed with us so I need a ruling from you doc if it still exists! lol

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Zeek said:

I coach down here in Florida, we're just thankful they don't compete in the state playoffs...now there are other similar private schools down here in wrestling that get to compete in the smallest division that simply aren't fair.

Maybe Auburn's AD can take some notes from IMG :Sing:

From what I read, if a college program did what IMG does in recruiting, etc....the NCAA would bring the hammer down on them.   Seems that there is no governing body as regards them.....except for schools and states that have responded to their poaching of talent. 

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

As far as I can remember, we've never signed any players from IMG, and I don't see that changing for tomorrow.

686c934f-e90f-4186-b9d1-9d8ee24f53b0_tex

10 hours ago, tinman said:

This situation is not much different than Gymnastics has been for years.  Parents have been spending thousands of $$$ for training, coaches, schools & have even let their small kids (6 years or so) live away from home.  All in hopes of making it to the Olympics.   In the case of IMG it is to make it to college & eventually  the NFL.

Some sports like gymnastics and swimming don't have HS programs in most areas and private coaching is the only option for really talented young kids but you are right, it's amazing how much money a family will spend on coaching and many of the parents are spending a good part of their income on this kind of coaching. 

Good piece in al.com and notes that IMG is closely linked to Gatorade and Under Armor and owned by a company to specializes in sports marketing.  So poor dumb Chuck Person is going to jail for what these people apparently do legally    I'm seeing the day when football or basketball players with scholarships at IMG will be ruled ineligible for Div 1 college sports, or at least lose some participation time.  

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Some sports like gymnastics and swimming don't have HS programs in most areas and private coaching is the only option for really talented young kids but you are right, it's amazing how much money a family will spend on coaching and many of the parents are spending a good part of their income on this kind of coaching. 

Good piece in al.com and notes that IMG is closely linked to Gatorade and Under Armor and owned by a company to specializes in sports marketing.  So poor dumb Chuck Person is going to jail for what these people apparently do legally    I'm seeing the day when football or basketball players with scholarships at IMG will be ruled ineligible for Div 1 college sports, or at least lose some participation time.  

IMG evolved from the Nick Bolliteri (?sp) private tennis camp model for the Andre Agassi’s of the world and morphed into the monster that it is today. It is a weird deal. Great article about it in WSJ this summer/fall sometime....

• 4 months later...

I really, really don't like what IMG is doing. That's not to say we shouldn't recruit their players, they round up great talent but I wish that talent was playing for their local high schools.

To me it's like travel baseball. The players are great but are they improving? I think it's more a case of the travel teams skimming the top off the talent pool to start with, and their parents paying tons of money to the travel organization.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I really, really don't like what IMG is doing. That's not to say we shouldn't recruit their players, they round up great talent but I wish that talent was playing for their local high schools.

To me it's like travel baseball. The players are great but are they improving? I think it's more a case of the travel teams skimming the top off the talent pool to start with, and their parents paying tons of money to the travel organization.

Agree. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The players are great but are they improving?

More than likely yes. There are some very good coaches at IMG. A lot of parents wouldn't send their children down there if they weren't good coaches.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Agree that it's ultimately probably not a healthy thing, but as for the kids who do go there, they practice against the best kids in the country and get coaching from the best coaches in the country. Noah Cain is being coached by Cadillac Williams, one of the most skilled runners the SEC has ever seen. I would think that they're improving. They're basically at a world class skills camp year round. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Travel baseball at the younger levels, 12 and under are so watered down it's like all stars essentially.  Once you get to 15/16u then you are starting to see the "Super" teams get together which I have no problem with plus these kids aren't going to another school to play their school ball they just do it for the summer.  

IMG is a totally different beast all together.  It's a sports factory whether it is football or basketball.  To each their own.  I can tell you one thing I wouldn't send my 16 year old off like that. College comes quick enough.  Enjoy being a parent and letting them be kids as long as possible.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Am I the only one who actually kind of likes what IMG is doing? 

Yes

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

What do you like about it?

I think the facilities for a high school athlete are absolutely top of the line. The exposure is awesome. If any of my future kids could go for even a year, I’d probably let them. I see the success of Asa Martin as a pretty solid example of a kid who went for a little bit and then came back and tore it up.

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Am I the only one who actually kind of likes what IMG is doing? 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes

Actually no. I don't mind it. It's not like they are eligible for their state playoffs. The kids get to practice against some of the best every day & teams that play them get to measure themselves up.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

I think the facilities for a high school athlete are absolutely top of the line. The exposure is awesome. If any of my future kids could go for even a year, I’d probably let them. I see the success of Asa Martin as a pretty solid example of a kid who went for a little bit and then came back and tore it up.

The problem is they aren't just taking the average joe's and making them great players... they are taking great players already and just developing them faster which can be bad and good.  Sure they destroy high school competition but what if their development is maxed out and they don't get physically better in college.  

Just now, corchjay said:

The problem is they aren't just taking the average joe's and making them great players... they are taking great players already and just developing them faster which can be bad and good.  Sure they destroy high school competition but what if their development is maxed out and they don't get physically better in college.  

Shea Patterson didn’t go to IMG because he was an average joe, he went to IMG because he wanted to be trained up to be the best possible athlete on the field. He got to Old Miss and now Michigan and is one of the better QB’s in the country. If they’re “maxed out” they’re mentally and physically prepared for college. Most of these top athletes care about one thing and that’s $$$, regardless of what we think. 

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Shea Patterson didn’t go to IMG because he was an average joe, he went to IMG because he wanted to be trained up to be the best possible athlete on the field. He got to Old Miss and now Michigan and is one of the better QB’s in the country. If they’re “maxed out” they’re mentally and physically prepared for college. Most of these top athletes care about one thing and that’s $$$, regardless of what we think. 

That's what I said.  They aren't taking the average joes... they are taking the elite.  

Shea Patterson is probably the worst example of this you could have used.  Sloppy QB play in an offense built to feature a passing QB, got injured and now appears to have run from a little competition up to Michigan where he is going to yet another QB "guru" that hasn't developed crap since the 49ers.  

Archived