Auburn vs USA

Game under way on SEC+

AU not off to a good start.

USA leading 3-0 ....Mitchell not getting it done with walks and wild pitches so Daniel Sprinkle will come in with 2 on and one out.

Wow...ump took a Sprinkle fast ball right in the mask....Deese never touched the ball...went over his glove and the UMP is out of the game and USA now leads 4-0, 2nd run allowed by a WP this inning.

And Sprinkle gets a couple of Ks and no more damage......USA up 4-0

AU coming to bat in the bottom of the 3rd.

Some new faces in the line-up tonight....mid-week game is a good chance to look at some freshmen...maybe find some candidates for defensive substitutions late in games.

AU goes down in order....questionable 3rd strike called on the last batter.....but AU still has not had a base runner.

4-0 top of the 4th.

Sprinkle keeps the Jags off the board thanks to a couple nice fielding plays in the outfield.

AU still looking for its first base runner.

4-0 bottom of the 4th

Looking like another shot to a gut that's near empty. Come on Tigers!

7th inning..AU still with one hit tonight but relievers have done the job for us....still4-0

Glad to see Sprinkle did well. Good bright spot for next year if that holds. Dare I ask for an error count?

One plus at least 3 WPs that allowed some runs.

No hitting tonight

Makes one wonder how a second level university (athletically) can field a nationally competitive team year in and year out. Beat UA and UAT this year and last night pitched a guy who was reported as the top JUCO pitcher last season.

Other than the top tier this does not seem to be a good year for the SEC in baseball. The conference is really out of balance in baseball and basketball.

We are who we are.....I'm far from being a pessimistic AU man but this team/program has been the sentinel for sub par baseball for way too long. Unfortunately I don't see a bright spot anytime soon. Hopefully we can squeak out a series before the year is over......ugh!!!!!!

Quote from Butch about the game last night.

I think my responsibility now is to make sure that everybody is competing and playing hard, and I’m not sure that happened for a full nine innings tonight.”

Unfortunately I think that's been going on for a while now.

Last night we got pitching and no hitting. Other times we get hitting and no pitching. This is a very, very odd team.

I just don't understand how this team in one year can go from a pretty good team, gutsy, making the NCCA playoffs.....to this year where they are one of the worst in the league, below average pitching...very poor defense...

Last night we got pitching and no hitting. Other times we get hitting and no pitching. This is a very, very odd team.

Either way..defensive mistakes seem to nullify the effort. WP and PBs do not show up in the stats as errors but we have a ton of them this season that go mostly unrecognized as to their effect.

I just don't understand how this team in one year can go from a pretty good team, gutsy, making the NCCA playoffs.....to this year where they are one of the worst in the league, below average pitching...very poor defense...

Last years team was barely "pretty" good....this years team doesn't have pitching depth to win a lot of series, but the errors are a huge problem that have resulted in keeping us below 500 for most of the season. We might have won 5-6 more games if we would have played better in the field.

Archived