NBA 2016-17 Season Thread

GwillMac6

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I cannot be a man yet since I am not 40. 

You think that sounds funny but it's not. It sounds like you're a smart aleck. Strange smart-aleck at that.

I don't dislike KD so that is a "snappable offense" to you.  But if I don't like Lebron, then you consider that a "personal insult to you as well." If that is not an indicator of loose nuts and bolts somewhere in the noggin, then I don't what is. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

You think that sounds funny but it's not. It sounds like you're a smart aleck. Strange smart-aleck at that.

I don't dislike KD so that is a "snappable offense" to you.  But if I don't like Lebron, then you consider that a "personal insult to you as well." If that is not an indicator of loose nuts and bolts somewhere in the noggin, then I don't what is. 

Smart aleck? Yes of course sometimes. Who isn't?! Thought everyone would appreciate a little quote from Mike Gundy in their life. I choose to say I am more sarcastic than smart aleck though. Just sounds better and goes over well. Everyone that I talk to about the NBA has used the whole offseason and start of the season to make fun of KD going to the warriors. I thought this NBA post would be more of the same. WHY YOU GOT TO GO AND RUIN MY FUN?! Hating on KD is in vogue these days. He is not bulletproof anymore like he was in OKC with russ shielding him and contracting most of the blame. I was mainly joking but it of course does not course that way sometimes reading it unless you drop a lol or haha in there but I was going for more deadpan humor. OF COURSE I am crazy! Anyone who is a Auburn fan is a little crazy. Comes with the territory. But as far as I am concerned WE GUCCI fam as DCraig would say!! WOOOO LETS GO

On 11/4/2016 at 10:58 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I cannot be a man yet since I am not 40. 

Cute.  I see what you did there.  But the fact remains, you're a man now.  Act like it.

• 6 months later...

If Leonard didn't get injured, the Spurs finish off the blowout. The Warriors will end up winning the series, especially if Leonard can't go. Let's Go Celtics and Spurs Up!

This was the best chance of anyone making a series against the Warriors. They have the finals wrapped up already and have for months like JVG said. It is just meant to be.

JVG was wrong with a healthy Leonard. The Spurs were punishing them with the bigs on the offensive end, and Kawhi was easily the best player on the floor for either team. When he was the second or third option offensively, Aldridge was fantastic against the Warriors. Remove Kawhi and Parker, five turnovers in the third quarter because L.A. can't handle that kind of defensive activity and attention.

Too bad. We had a chance at a classic series that (despite all the stupid talking heads saying otherwise) was anything but a foregone conclusion. Now, we're back to waiting on the Finals rubber match.

That one isn't a lock for the Dubs either, even though people will say it is. LeBron is the best player on the floor in that series. KD, for all his greatness, is a step behind guys like LeBron and Kawhi because he doesn't like the physicality. Those guys can regularly outplay him. The Cavs also present some matchup issues because Steph cannot guard Kyrie. That's a proven fact. So as great as Steph is offensively, Kyrie is going to throw up similar numbers, and they have dudes like Tristan Thompson that are every bit the bully Draymond is. Thompson can't match his skill set, but with Thompson and Love, they'll hit the offensive glass hard. Not much the Dubs can do about it unless they make lineup changes they don't really want to make (play Zaza and Green together with Iggy on the bench or put Iggy on the floor in place of Klay). 

I like Brad Stevens and IT4. I like Wall and Beal. Neither of those teams is going to really push the Cavs. Wiz don't have the depth or secondary options (although Wall will eat Kyrie's lunch, speaking of bad matchups). C's don't have the horses to score with Cleveland.

With Kawhi hurt, it's a Cavs/Dubs lock, but that's going to be a hell of a series again this year.

29 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

JVG was wrong with a healthy Leonard. The Spurs were punishing them with the bigs on the offensive end, and Kawhi was easily the best player on the floor for either team. When he was the second or third option offensively, Aldridge was fantastic against the Warriors. Remove Kawhi and Parker, five turnovers in the third quarter because L.A. can't handle that kind of defensive activity and attention.

Too bad. We had a chance at a classic series that (despite all the stupid talking heads saying otherwise) was anything but a foregone conclusion. Now, we're back to waiting on the Finals rubber match.

That one isn't a lock for the Dubs either, even though people will say it is. LeBron is the best player on the floor in that series. KD, for all his greatness, is a step behind guys like LeBron and Kawhi because he doesn't like the physicality. Those guys can regularly outplay him. The Cavs also present some matchup issues because Steph cannot guard Kyrie. That's a proven fact. So as great as Steph is offensively, Kyrie is going to throw up similar numbers, and they have dudes like Tristan Thompson that are every bit the bully Draymond is. Thompson can't match his skill set, but with Thompson and Love, they'll hit the offensive glass hard. Not much the Dubs can do about it unless they make lineup changes they don't really want to make (play Zaza and Green together with Iggy on the bench or put Iggy on the floor in place of Klay). 

I like Brad Stevens and IT4. I like Wall and Beal. Neither of those teams is going to really push the Cavs. Wiz don't have the depth or secondary options (although Wall will eat Kyrie's lunch, speaking of bad matchups). C's don't have the horses to score with Cleveland.

With Kawhi hurt, it's a Cavs/Dubs lock, but that's going to be a hell of a series again this year.

I am the biggest LeBron fan/homer/apologist on the planet but I call it like I see it and a spade is a spade. Warriors have more talent. The next game kevin love is useful against the warriors in the finals will be the first. He averaged 8 and 6 last finals and was completely a dud and non contributor. Draymond will completely take him out of that series. Warriors have the most talented. They are a matchup nightmare. They were statistically the first best offense in the NBA all year and the second best defense. The main difference in the warriors and cavs is their best players outside of steph are all 2 way players and play exceptional defense. The cavs only LeBron does. Kyrie and Love are way below average defenders. 

I think when Boston plays Cleveland, they'll present some matchup issues that will make the series more difficult than it may seem. Amir Johnson can stretch a little bit and is more physical than Love. He has a good 15-18 foot shot. If Green starts, love can't guard him but Green's defensive abilities are lacking.  Bradley and Smart are both good defensively and can slow Irving. James will get his regardless. Question becomes, will Kyrie guard Thomas or will  Williams, who sucks defensively. If Williams doesn't guard Thomas, that's going to allow Bradley to score. Horford is going to pull Thompson from under the basket. Crowder will probably be guarded by James so there's that. Boston could push them to a seven game series. 

Eastern conference playoffs do not matter. both will get smoked by the warriors. celtics in a sweep cavs MAYBE can take 1 and push it to 5.

Yeah, okay. 

I'd take that bet on five. Seriously, KD cannot handle James or Leonard. Before Kawhi left KD was a non factor. After he left KD went off. That's not a coincidence. If Leonard is there, it never happens. Same deal with James. Warriors against Cleveland are no better this year than last year. It'll be a series. 

Spurs would've been a series too. If you have a wing that can outplay Durant and size with athleticism, it's a tough matchup for GS. Both teams have that. If Love doesn't rebound, he'll sit for Frye or they'll go with another shooter and play James at the four. Love has been good this postseason though. 

47 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Yeah, okay. 

Listen I am just telling you how I really feel. Celtics talent wise are probaly the worst 1 seed I can think off of the top of my head in a long time. Brad Stevens is a rock star coach. They are lucky to have made it this far. Wizards have more talent than them and C's will probaly win game 7 and advance. Don't take it as a slight. I am just complimenting your team that Stevens can squeeze this much out of them. Talent usually wins out in the playoffs. That is why I think the Warriors will smoke everybody in the west and east. They just have more of it than everyone else.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I'd take that bet on five. Seriously, KD cannot handle James or Leonard. Before Kawhi left KD was a non factor. After he left KD went off. That's not a coincidence. If Leonard is there, it never happens. Same deal with James. Warriors against Cleveland are no better this year than last year. It'll be a series. 

Spurs would've been a series too. If you have a wing that can outplay Durant and size with athleticism, it's a tough matchup for GS. Both teams have that. If Love doesn't rebound, he'll sit for Frye or they'll go with another shooter and play James at the four. Love has been good this postseason though. 

You had me then you lost me at warriors against CLE are no better this year than last year. a 73 win team added imo the second best player in the nba and at the worst a consensus top 5 player in the NBA. They pose so many match up nightmares for any team left. IF pop had the cavs roster I would be more inclined to agree with you.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Listen I am just telling you how I really feel. Celtics talent wise are probaly the worst 1 seed I can think off of the top of my head in a long time. Brad Stevens is a rock star coach. They are lucky to have made it this far. Wizards have more talent than them and C's will probaly win game 7 and advance. Don't take it as a slight. I am just complimenting your team that Stevens can squeeze this much out of them. Talent usually wins out in the playoffs. That is why I think the Warriors will smoke everybody in the west and east. They just have more of it than everyone else.

Washington ain't winning at the TD Center (oh for the days of the Garden) and when they play Cleveland, it's going to be a great series. The C's have good talent and are essentially a piece or maybe two from being dominant. Stevens is a great coach, see the insertion of Green over Johnson against Chicago. Boston won't win it this season but if Hayward comes to Boston to play for Stevens and they can get better at rebounding, the celtics will be championship caliber for a long time. 

Just now, aubearcat said:

Washington ain't winning at the TD Center (oh for the days of the Garden) and when they play Cleveland, it's going to be a great series. The C's have good talent and are essentially a piece or maybe two from being dominant. Stevens is a great coach, see the insertion of Green over Johnson against Chicago. Boston won't win it this season but if Hayward comes to Boston to play for Stevens and they can get better at rebounding, the celtics will be championship caliber for a long time. 

I agree that is why I said the c's most likely will advance. I just am complimenting you on your team because John Wall is better than Isaiah and Beal has more talent than him and yet the less talented team will move on. That is great coaching. That is heart. Willpower and more toughness. I just think C's are further away than you. They need to hit on this draft pick and have fultz, ball, jackson, fox tatum or whoever they get to become a Superstar. Hayward coming over would be very interesting. That could certainly liven things up. Unfortunately for the C's the best players in this draft are not at positions of need. They need a elite 3 or 4 and the best players in this draft mostly play the same position as IT.

This explains my love for the Celtics. I was a kid when Larry Legend was in his prime and I still HATE the Lakers to this day  and maybe my fandom has me blinded but I feel like the Celtics are dangerous  

Gwill, only one ball. In the end, every KD hero ball set against James is a shot Curry isn't taking or a play Green isn't making. It's gonna be a series, just like last year. 

15 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

This explains my love for the Celtics. I was a kid when Larry Legend was in his prime and I still HATE the Lakers to this day  and maybe my fandom has me blinded but I feel like the Celtics are dangerous  

Well at least we agree on 1 thing.... WE HATE THE LAKERS!!!!! How you are about the celtics is how I am about LeBron. He is my whole basketball world. IDK if I would even be a nba fan if it was not for him. Bird and Bron easily the 2 best SF ever. no one else is close. DO you read bill simmons? He is my favorite thing about the celtics. Well him and brad stevens lol. I am a huge simmons fan and read anything he writes. Especially when it is about the nba.

Just now, mcgufcm said:

Gwill, only one ball. In the end, every KD hero ball set against James is a shot Curry isn't taking or a play Green isn't making. It's gonna be a series, just like last year. 

lol trust me I hope you are right about this more than anything! I will be knocking on wood to this post the rest of the time LeBron is in the playoffs!

imagejpeg

yah! where did that come from! 26 points in a game 7 from a bench guy is incredible.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:56 PM, aubearcat said:

I'm with you. My Celtic beginnings were a bit earlier than yours. I was watching Dave Cowens, John Havlicek, Jo Jo White and Don Nelson. They got the number one pick in the draft tonight so things are looking good. Good time to be a Celtic fan. 

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'm with you. My Celtic beginnings were a bit earlier than yours. I was watching Dave Cowens, John Havlicek, Jo Jo White and Don Nelson. They got the number one pick in the draft tonight so things are looking good. Good time to be a Celtic fan. 

Indeed 

Everything is turning up ACES for the celtics lately!!! Maybe that is a sign of things to come! This team is suddenly giving me vibes of being a 2001 Allen Iverson led Philly 76ers team and their finals run and the Warriors are certainly like the Lakers that year!

Archived