Things I saw - Texas Tech

JwgreDeux

Auburn 67 - Texas Tech 65

This was a game of two halves. In the first you saw our talent advantage, in the second you saw their experience advantage. Nothing very surprising really jumped out at me during the game. I was disappointed with Harper down the stretch, not getting us into good offense and also missing a few free throws. I think it speaks volumes of CBPs faith in him to leave him out there for a learning experience. 

Overall I was pleased with our defense. Once we got into the second half and had a few guys with foul trouble, we played too soft and they got easy buckets. 

I predicted Smith having a big night. To my pleasure it wasn't necessary as Spencer avoided foul trouble for the most part, but Smith did have the game preserving block. Purifoy is becoming our best player. He rebounded well, defended well, passed the ball and scored in double digits. 

I still think we have a couple of guys pressing too much on offense. 

Bottom line, we won a game we were not favored to, at a neutral site. I'll take it all day long.

Next up tomorrow is Purdue, who handled Utah State easily.  Their size will be a huge test. 

• Like 3

Yes it was a bad last 15 minutes overall but the bottom line for me is we persevered enough to get a quality win versus a very experienced Texas Tech team that we all knew would make a run and not go down without a fight.

On to Purdue and let's win our first tournament in I don't remember how long!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Next up tomorrow is Purdue, who handled Utah State easily.  Their size will be a huge test. 

They are beatable for us though. They were down to Georgia St by 11 before going on a 20-0 run to win the game. We were in control of Georgia St most of the game.

I'll try to post some thoughts in Purdue later today, but they are beatable. Our perimeter pressure will be our best defense against their interior size.