Does AU have enough GREAT recruiters on staff?

GwillMac6

Doug Gottlieb on his radio show this week said NO WAY Chip comes back to college. Why? He told a story about Chip Kelly that when asked why he left college a few years ago when he was still with the eagles he said college football is 90% recruiting and I do not like that. I def agree it is the majority.  IDK what I would the % at though. There can never be enough great recruiters on staff.. It is why I hope Gus takes full advantage of the extra coaching spot that will be available next season. . Anyways who is that guy or guys for us that can go in to any house in america no matter the location and pull a kid? We lost our best recruiter imo last year with D Craig. I would say Garner is in that mold. He has really proven himself since he got to AU. Herb Hand has been dynamite this year on the trail and if he can hang on to Ashley it will be a great OL haul. I would not put him in that tier yet. Crime Dawg? His past history is that of a elite recruiter but so far I have not seen that so far as of Auburn. I know I know its his first year and he has to build relationships and its a long way to go. Twill is imo our best recruiter on staff and the guy who has the most upside and if he stays long enough will be a force in recruiting. LB recruiting has not been this good in years. We have struggled recently in it and has been a hot topic. Tim Horton is our most underrated recruiter. He completely OWNS madison academy and basically started that pipeline all by himself.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In no particular order

Garner

McGriff

Horton

Twill

Hand

Would you say Malzahn is one of those coaches who is a good recruiter? He has struggled with Qbs. Seems to be pretty strong when he makes other kids a priority though.

This is almost the chicken vs. egg debate.  Lots of teams score good recruiting classes.  You have to be able to put those classes to use and develop them into championship teams and NFL prospects.  The reason Saban and Miles were able to rank in the tops of recruiting classes year in and year out was their ability to play for championships and fill up the NFL draft. I'd go as far as saying a lot of Miles undoing was the inability to keep players on his team for more than 3 years.  His defenses were constantly being overhauled due to NFL loses.  LSU I believe outranks Alabama in the number of current NFL players.  The NFL is the end game so the better you do at getting players there the better you'll do in recruiting.  Playing for a championship team helps too.

While I agree it is vitally important for your assistant coaches to be outstanding recruiters, it also helps if they can coach and more importantly develop players, 

9 hours ago, milehighfan said:

While I agree it is vitally important for your assistant coaches to be outstanding recruiters, it also helps if they can coach and more importantly develop players, 

For most players yes. I believe most of the 4 or 5 star guys are equal in talent and coaching and development are key. But everyone has to have those guys that ooze so much talent they succeed no matter. For us I think Lawson fits that bill. Adams is borderline because he only showed it this year. I don't think we saw any on O this year. Maybe some of the freshman WR have it and we will see it next year but that is about it for the O and that is concerning. I think we have some O line go to NFL but I don't think many of the upperclassman skill guys have shot. Petteway of course but after that not sure.

I hate to compare to UA but on defense they had Williams , Allen and 10. You just put those guys out there and say go. On offense Ridley and Hurts looks to fit that mold for them. Those 5 or 6 guys seperate them from everyone else. 

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

For most players yes. I believe most of the 4 or 5 star guys are equal in talent and coaching and development are key. But everyone has to have those guys that ooze so much talent they succeed no matter. For us I think Lawson fits that bill. Adams is borderline because he only showed it this year. I don't think we saw any on O this year. Maybe some of the freshman WR have it and we will see it next year but that is about it for the O and that is concerning. I think we have some O line go to NFL but I don't think many of the upperclassman skill guys have shot. Petteway of course but after that not sure.

I hate to compare to UA but on defense they had Williams , Allen and 10. You just put those guys out there and say go. On offense Ridley and Hurts looks to fit that mold for them. Those 5 or 6 guys seperate them from everyone else. 

With the money we are paying assistant coaches they should be great recruiters and coaches.  

Also, it is more than just coaching IMO.  For instance Lawson is extremely talented but he is a relentless worker away from the practices.    You got to get enough of the guys that push each other, like Caddy and Ronnie.   That is why Bama is so good because their talent pushes each other to be better. 

We have recruited enough talent since Gus has been HC to have better records than we have seen under Gus since 2013.  I don't think recruiting is our problem (although D Craig was a big part of our recruiting success under Gus and I hope TWill will prove to D Craig's equal on the recruiting trail and I am pretty sure he will be a better on the field coach).  

I think the key is finding the right balance of good coaches versus recruiters.  In an ideal world you would want every coach to be a very good recruiter and a very good on the field coach.  But, that is hard to find.  I think Tim Horton meets that criteria on our staff better than anyone and eventually, TWill may also.  

wde

We do have some great recruiters, so that's not the problem. The problem is we have 2 coaches who don't coach the players up and get the best out of them every week.

We have some good recruiters but I am not sure we have a great recruiter. DC might have been one. I read a story the other day that shows the importance of recruiting over all other things. Saban mentioned when Mal hired him he asked Mal if he thought he had just hired the best coach in collage football. Mal replied "yes'. Then Saban told him he didn't, but he did hire the best recruiter in college football. I can't attest how he does it but the guy can close the deal with a recruit and it has paid off for uat. Some players come to play for a certain coach, some come to a certain college. Others come due to playing time or to play with coaches or players they have past with. But  I believe that Jimmys and Joes go a long way in making great teams. I just cannot remember Gus closing the deal with a great recruit that was actually leaning in another direction. We have gotten some great recruits but it has to do with other things than our coaches. I do think RG has pulled a couple we might not have gotten had he not been here, so I would rate him as our best. Just my opinion. WDE

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

he said college football is 90% recruiting and I do not like that. I def agree it is the majority.  IDK what I would the % at though.

Who is the best recruiter in college football (or produces the best results anyway)?  Who has the most Championships during that time span in college football?

I'd say 90% is pretty close to accurate.  Combine that with good on the field coaching, development, and an experienced off the field staff that meticulously scouts, analyzes, and prepares for the opponent and you get some pretty good results.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

In no particular order

Garner

McGriff

Horton

Twill

Hand

You forgot Rhett Lashlee. First Joey Gatewood, and now apparently Stidham. That's two QB's right there that AU normally can only dream about, and both say their interest in Auburn is because they want to play for Rhett.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You forgot Rhett Lashlee. First Joey Gatewood, and now apparently Stidham. That's two QB's right there that AU normally can only dream about, and both say their interest in Auburn is because they want to play for Rhett.

I Didn't forget him...

The ones I listed all have sustained success and big time signings except TWill and he will.

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

We do have some great recruiters, so that's not the problem. The problem is we have 2 coaches who don't coach the players up and get the best out of them every week.

Are these JB Grimes and Damien Craig?

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If you don't mind me asking, who are the two coaches in question?

5 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

If you don't mind me asking, who are the two coaches in question?

He's referring to Gus an Rhett

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He's referring to Gus an Rhett

And he would be right.  Apparantly though, Rhett is the key to our savior in Stidham so we need to keep Lashlee on staff at all costs. :-\

wde

Whats the consensus on Gus? do yall think he is a good recruiter? All the top coaches in the game are known as relentless recruiters on the trail. I do not get that vibe from ol Gus.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Whats the consensus on Gus? do yall think he is a good recruiter? All the top coaches in the game are known as relentless recruiters on the trail. I do not get that vibe from ol Gus.

No I dont. I think he surrounded himself with great recruiters in the past though. 

Archived