Does AU have enough GREAT recruiters on staff?

GwillMac6

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Whats the consensus on Gus? do yall think he is a good recruiter? All the top coaches in the game are known as relentless recruiters on the trail. I do not get that vibe from ol Gus.

Gus is at the bottom end average. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Mikey said:

You forgot Rhett Lashlee. First Joey Gatewood, and now apparently Stidham. That's two QB's right there that AU normally can only dream about, and both say their interest in Auburn is because they want to play for Rhett.

Lolz. You have gone off the reservation with this one. Two QB that AU could only dream of? 

Dont hold your breath on Gatewood and Stidham is only in play because A&M passed. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lolz. You have gone off the reservation with this one. Two QB that AU could only dream of? 

Dont hold your breath on Gatewood and Stidham is only in play because A&M passed. 

Miley is the master of forming facts around his agenda. Impressive talent, I must say.

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Can't a guy even have a little fun?

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I guess. But you were dead serious. 

You may know many things, but a mind reader you are not.

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd say T-Will is the best recruiter AU has. T-Will is elite. Just comes naturally for him. 

Agree that he is natural at it, very much like it is for DC. Being this is his first round of it I can't put at 1, but he will be soon.

He has good recruiters, what we need is success. Not just sporadic but consistent. We have two or three 10 win seasons in a row we would see recruiting be even better, but we have to be able to develop players and be successful. No excuses

On 12/2/2016 at 7:24 PM, bigbird said:

In no particular order

Garner

McGriff

Horton

Twill

Hand

What do you think of kodi burns prospects as a recruiting moving forward? I thought he would be a awesome hire for recruiting when we brought him back. I just see a young dude not even 30 who has a natty ring who caught a td in said natty and could connect with recruits easy.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What do you think of kodi burns prospects as a recruiting moving forward? I thought he would be a awesome hire for recruiting when we brought him back. I just see a young dude not even 30 who has a natty ring who caught a td in said natty and could connect with recruits easy.

Not so much now we'll just have to see how he hopefully will progress

I think we have some solid recruiters on staff, but I would not consider any of them elite. Garner has been the most proven recruiter over the years, but he has also been helped with coaching changes that allowed us to land Derrick Brown & Byron Cowart. I'm personally still pissed that he whiffed on Daron Payne. 

Horton is solid, and I think he is more responsible for landing Troxall than Herb Hand. Speaking of Herb Hand, Calvin Ashley was already committed when Hand got here. So he's really only landed Brahms so far. It's been months since we've been mentioned for a top OL, so let's see who he adds to finish off this class. 

McGriff is still unproven to me. He ALMOST landed Nigel Warrior last year, but almost doesn't cut it in this league. He has an advantage with CJ Avery, but it would really impress me if he landed Devon Hunter, Deangelo Gibbs, Xavier McKinney, or Christopher Heanderson. I would also be impressed to see him flip AJ Terrell or Jaymest Williams. 

T-Will is putting together a solid LB class. But to be honest, we aren't having to fight off anyone besides UGA for these guys (except for maybe UAT with Moultry). We will likely split our LB list with UGA, so I'm sure we'll both be happy with who we get. I think T-Will can eventually be our best recruiter, but I'm not ready to say that he's there yet. 

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

I think we have some solid recruiters on staff, but I would not consider any of them elite. Garner has been the most proven recruiter over the years, but he has also been helped with coaching changes that allowed us to land Derrick Brown & Byron Cowart. I'm personally still pissed that he whiffed on Daron Payne. 

Horton is solid, and I think he is more responsible for landing Troxall than Herb Hand. Speaking of Herb Hand, Calvin Ashley was already committed when Hand got here. So he's really only landed Brahms so far. It's been months since we've been mentioned for a top OL, so let's see who he adds to finish off this class. 

McGriff is still unproven to me. He ALMOST landed Nigel Warrior last year, but almost doesn't cut it in this league. He has an advantage with CJ Avery, but it would really impress me if he landed Devon Hunter, Deangelo Gibbs, Xavier McKinney, or Christopher Heanderson. I would also be impressed to see him flip AJ Terrell or Jaymest Williams. 

T-Will is putting together a solid LB class. But to be honest, we aren't having to fight off anyone besides UGA for these guys (except for maybe UAT with Moultry). We will likely split our LB list with UGA, so I'm sure we'll both be happy with who we get. I think T-Will can eventually be our best recruiter, but I'm not ready to say that he's there yet. 

Garner had to battle the typical bama bias from coaches teachers friends and family with Payne. I know we have to deal with it every year with bama but it really hurt us with payne.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Garner had to battle the typical bama bias from coaches teachers friends and family with Payne. I know we have to deal with it every year with bama but it really hurt us with payne.

People on here tried to say that Payne didn't fit our scheme and that he had a bad attitude.  A five star DT that didn't fit our scheme lol. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

People on here tried to say that Payne didn't fit our scheme and that he had a bad attitude.  A five star DT that didn't fit our scheme lol. 

add him to the graveyard of former recruits who grew up Auburn "fans" only to play elsewhere!!! And that usually has been the school to the west lately....

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

add him to the graveyard of former recruits who grew up Auburn "fans" only to play elsewhere!!! And that usually has been the school to the west lately....

I personally think they do that just to add drama to their recruitments. That, or they are really only bandwagon fans that grew up through the six game streak of us beating Bammer. 

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I personally think they do that just to add drama to their recruitments. That, or they are really only bandwagon fans that grew up through the six game streak of us beating Bammer. 

could be. would not be the first time saban or kirby have orchestrated some drama to get the most juice out of getting a auburn "lean" or a auburn commit.

On 12/4/2016 at 5:01 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I think Kodi can become a light out recruiter given time. He probably needs a couple of years to learn how to swim with the sharks of the recruiting world. I would bet that the kids LOVE him.

On December 4, 2016 at 10:21 PM, CameronCrazy said:

Wow. I don't know where to begin. I'll hit this one tomorrow. 

Whiffed on Payne? Got-O-Mighty. 

1 hour ago, sogaaufan said:

I think Kodi can become a light out recruiter given time. He probably needs a couple of years to learn how to swim with the sharks of the recruiting world. I would bet that the kids LOVE him.

Just what you need from your CO-OC. A few years to learn to recruit. Kodi is the worst recruiter AU has by a mile. 

On December 4, 2016 at 10:40 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Payne was bought and paid for. AU didn't miss or get beat with Payne. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Payne was bought and paid for. AU didn't miss or get beat with Payne. 

Well we should've raised our price then.

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just what you need from your CO-OC. A few years to learn to recruit. Kodi is the worst recruiter AU has by a mile. 

Yep. And the "hands" didn't improve much either. He is basically a cub ( a person in training) occupying a big-boy position. Makes you wonder why the hate against DC other than Mikey's.  I perfectly understand he thinks Auburn products should never negatively recruit their school even though it is a another school that is paying his bills.

Archived