AUF Anglers

17 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

When I was in my late teens I had an 8lb 11oz and a 7lb 2oz mounted.........lost both in hurricane Katrina.

With cameras so readily available I release all bass I catch..........

Got a late start this year for bass as January and February are my favorite big bass months....

I cant stay long as I would like........my mind is up for it......back wont allow it..........very thankful for the time I do spend? 

I don’t keep bass either. I used to fish a shallow fast moving creek with a few deep holes. That was some of the best fish I ever ate. Since they were creek bass it wasn’t hurting the lake population. 

• Like 1

Been bass fishing since I was 10yrs old and I have never tried bass lol.........I know that sounds strange.

I have eaten many types of saltwater fish and freshwater catfish, blue gill, bream........never bass lol...

I have a friend that has an 8.5 acre pond.......years ago I would help him with selective harvesting. He kept that pond well maintained.

Very seldom would you catch a bass under 2.5 lbs and quite often catch 3-6lb bass. Loads of fun.

14 hours ago, kevon67 said:

When I was in my late teens I had an 8lb 11oz and a 7lb 2oz mounted.........lost both in hurricane Katrina.

With cameras so readily available I release all bass I catch..........

Got a late start this year for bass as January and February are my favorite big bass months....

I cant stay long as I would like........my mind is up for it......back wont allow it..........very thankful for the time I do spend? 

As a teen then in my very early 20s I was bass crazy. I had a 6.5 in the freezer to mount forever till my dad finally threw it out after a power outage. The biggest I ever weighed was 6.61 won a couple hundred bucks. Later on I lost interest in bass fishing and got back hooked on crappie. I like blue gill and shell cracker when they spawn. Those taste the best. 

24 minutes ago, alexava said:

As a teen then in my very early 20s I was bass crazy. I had a 6.5 in the freezer to mount forever till my dad finally threw it out after a power outage. The biggest I ever weighed was 6.61 won a couple hundred bucks. Later on I lost interest in bass fishing and got back hooked on crappie. I like blue gill and shell cracker when they spawn. Those taste the best. 

Hate you lost your 6.5 to power outage...........Indeed that's fine eating fish.........Lots of action when they cozy up to submerged timber? 

Got my PB today at 5.1lbs on a lipless crank. No idea how she didn’t break loose. Hardest fighting bass I’ve ever wrangled in. She struck on the first cast, missed the second and I snagged her belly. No damage done, and released to return to her spawn.

KCNzphE.jpg

bzU6KpL.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice bass.............using blue shad excalibur myself as well as pig n jigs with old school Uncle Josh pork.......I always split legs with knife......my fav? 

On 4/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got my PB today at 5.1lbs on a lipless crank. No idea how she didn’t break loose. Hardest fighting bass I’ve ever wrangled in. She struck on the first cast, missed the second and I snagged her belly. No damage done, and released to return to her spawn.

KCNzphE.jpg

bzU6KpL.jpg

She's a beaut. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been catching a lot of Pompano lately. Got to be up and fishing early right now, change of light best. Fun and great on the grill.

IMG_pompano.JPG

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I finally broke down and chucked the money for a Whopper Plopper 90 yesterday. Caught 6 this morning. Nothing of any remarkable size, but the lure does in fact work well. That topwater bite is addicting too. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fished a Tourney on Lay today. I think it was the 8th or 9th annual for the event and they had around 100 boats. Took just over 18lbs to win. We had 15.79 and finished 8th. Caught one early on a buzz bait and then the swim jig accounted for our other 4. Had one on well over 5lbs that pulled off halfway back to the boat that would have likely won it. That's how tourny fishing goes. Cashed a check so no complaints..........bs. I'm pissed. :realmad:

• Like 2

White buzzbait working well for me as well.....congrats on a check.........tough loosing a 5lber........at least you kept your head in the game, which is not all that easy after loosing potential winning fish.

• Like 1

Love to fish a buzz bait. Bass fishing always has been my favorite fishing. On the coast now and a lot of the commercial "captains" spend their time off bream and bass fishing.

Caught 2 small sharks and a black drum surf fishing this morning on left over cajun steamed shrimp. Black drum are identical to redfish concerning table fare. I love fresh fried fish and nothing in the Gulf beats crappie, bream, or a Lake Martin spotted bass.... IMO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Love to fish a buzz bait. Bass fishing always has been my favorite fishing. On the coast now and a lot of the commercial "captains" spend their time off bream and bass fishing.

Caught 2 small sharks and a black drum surf fishing this morning on left over cajun steamed shrimp. Black drum are identical to redfish concerning table fare. I love fresh fried fish and nothing in the Gulf beats crappie, bream, or a Lake Martin spotted bass.... IMO

Totally agree on. the Gulf v.s. bream and crappie.......have yet try spotted bass.........Damn drum........just when you think you have hooked a 10lb bass?.........Still a good fighter.........beside the fact they destroy my spinnerbaits and 10inch worms I dont mind catching bowfin while bass fishing......my friends next door LA call em choupique(yep just butchered spelling)?

Edited by kevon67

Fished a tourny on Lake Mitchell today. Probably caught around 20 fish on frog and a swim jig. We had 16.57 and got edged out of first by .04 :slapfh:. Oh well, got 2nd place and won big spotted bass pot. All in all a good weekend cashing a couple checks. I'll take it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

5lbs right on the button. Lipless crank. I had been whacking them with a good ol t rigged black/blue Dinger—multiple fish in a 2 hour period—however, they stopped being interested. 

yjrYih0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 5/26/2018 at 9:22 PM, kevon67 said:

White buzzbait working well for me as well.....congrats on a check.........tough loosing a 5lber........at least you kept your head in the game, which is not all that easy after loosing potential winning fish.

Do you use a trailer hook on your buzzbaits? I’ve gotten several blowups, but I’m not hooking any. 

And RIP to my buzzbait today. Chunked it out, and the knot somehow broke on the cast. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Do you use a trailer hook on your buzzbaits? I’ve gotten several blowups, but I’m not hooking any. 

And RIP to my buzzbait today. Chunked it out, and the knot somehow broke on the cast. 

No.........I do use a split tail trailer from Zoom..........If I get several blow ups first thing I do is slow down retrieve or throw something slow sinking like a Senko where I had the blow up and have good results..........I do like a trailer hook on spinnerbaits.

What type of knot you use?

While there are lots of knots out there I only use 3..........Trilene knot is my favorite follwed by improved clinch knot........I use Rapala knot when throwing jerkbaits.........I've tried a Palomar knot but trilene and improved clinch have worked since I was a kid?

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

5lbs right on the button. Lipless crank. I had been whacking them with a good ol t rigged black/blue Dinger—multiple fish in a 2 hour period—however, they stopped being interested. 

yjrYih0.jpg

Beautiful fish!!!!!!!! She's been munchin on shiners? Caught one 4.2 on a lipless crank silver black by h20 during full moon cycle..........when she hit it she nailed it.

Edited by kevon67
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Some may say its overkill.....if catch 2 or 3 two plus pound fish in a 5 to 10min period I re-tie.........anything 4lbs and above automatic re-tie.....after every catch I check line to make sure its not frayed especially near the knot

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevon67 said:

No.........I do use a split tail trailer from Zoom..........If I get several blow ups first thing I do is slow down retrieve or throw something slow sinking like a Senko where I had the blow up and have good results..........I do like a trailer hook on spinnerbaits.

What type of knot you use?

While there are lots of knots out there I only use 3..........Trilene knot is my favorite follwed by improved clinch knot........I use Rapala knot when throwing jerkbaits.........I've tried a Palomar knot but trilene and improved clinch have worked since I was a kid?

I use regular clinch, perhaps it’s time to re think my knot tying. It’s all I’ve ever used. My fingers are short and stubby, so I’m sure I’d find myself getting frustrated with a palomar. 

5 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Beautiful fish!!!!!!!! She's been munchin on shiners? Caught one 4.2 on a lipless crank silver black by h20 during full moon cycle..........when she hit it she nailed it.

H20 Xpress is what I use for cranks. I’ve tried the expensive ones, but I’m also good at getting hung on structure. The hooks aren’t the best, but I’ve had tremendous success with them. My wallet can handle losing a $3 lure. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

H20 Xpress is what I use for cranks. I’ve tried the expensive ones, but I’m also good at getting hung on structure. The hooks aren’t the best, but I’ve had tremendous success with them. My wallet can handle losing a $3 lure. 

I use 17lb flourocarban with lipless cranks......most of the time I can break the limb I am hung on underwater.....What really saves me with lipless cranks, jigs, chatterbaits,etc...is popping my line...works great....Had several lure dog retrievers, aggrevating to use.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I use regular clinch, perhaps it’s time to re think my knot tying. It’s all I’ve ever used. My fingers are short and stubby, so I’m sure I’d find myself getting frustrated with a palomar. 

You should give Trilene knot a try......I have big long fingers......not good for Palomar either?............Not a braid fan but if I was would have to deal with Palomar.

• Like 1