Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

Just now, lionheartkc said:

My guess is that they were shown the Arkansas film and told "were you on the team, we would have won that game, easily".

I appreciate the humor in that.  "You look like a guy that can catch footballs.  Let me show you why we need that particular skill..."

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My guess is that they were shown the Arkansas film and told "were you on the team, we would have won that game, easily".

Well played.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

First time I heard this. Every other indication is that the 10th assistant would pass in April & that it was just a formality.

The smaller schools are going to stop this. They can't afford the cost. So I'm told. 

• 2 months later...

I read onlne that the NCAA Division 1 Council has adopted new legislation that will bring a 10th assistant coach onto the field beginning next year. It makes me wonder who Gus will hire as a 10th on the field coach. Will he be an offensive coach or a defensive coach. My vote would go either Al Borges or Kevin Greene or Tracy Rocker if he isn't on a new staff somewhere.

I might be wrong, but I don't see Terry Price leaving Texas A&M to come back to coach at Auburn for a second time.

Wesley McGriff will be hired to coach safeties after Hugh Freeze gets fired after the end of the upcoming season. We get McGriff as the 10th coach and Hugh Freeze will be an off-the-field analyst. Mark. It. Down

Had heard a possible candidate, but the wait to next year part, creates a new twist on things.  It would have made a bunch of folks happy.

I've been told that it's the former auburn player on the Tennessee staff, Tommy Thigpen who's the preferred candidate if we can snag him. I don't know how that works with o vs d, or if there is actual mutual interest. With Gus' love for high school coaches and the new rules regarding hires, I would bet he will look long and hard to the hs ranks for an on field coach with "benefits" in recruiting. 

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I've been told that it's the former auburn player on the Tennessee staff, Tommy Thigpen who's the preferred candidate if we can snag him. I don't know how that works with o vs d, or if there is actual mutual interest. With Gus' love for high school coaches and the new rules regarding hires, I would bet he will look long and hard to the hs ranks for an on field coach with "benefits" in recruiting. 

I could be wrong but I don't see him hiring a HS coach for an on field spot. He can still hire them for off field spots. He just has to bite the bullet & not sign any players from that HS for 2 years. On a practical level we now can't sign players from Opelika in the next 2 class since we just got Blackman.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I could be wrong but I don't see him hiring a HS coach for an on field spot. He can still hire them for off field spots. He just has to bite the bullet & not sign any players from that HS for 2 years. On a practical level we now can't sign players from Opelika in the next 2 class since we just got Blackman.

Just have them transfer to Auburn High problem solved.....................I kidd I kidd.................maybe

I was thinking AU and Thigpen parted ways on less than ideal terms. Does anyone have any idea if there is any interest on his part in returning to AU? Might be interesting to see if he thinks working for Gus is more secure than working for Butch Jones. No doubt regarding his recruiting ability.

1 hour ago, CR said:

I was thinking AU and Thigpen parted ways on less than ideal terms. Does anyone have any idea if there is any interest on his part in returning to AU? Might be interesting to see if he thinks working for Gus is more secure than working for Butch Jones. No doubt regarding his recruiting ability.

There has been talk about him being interested.

I checked Tennessee's website and there's no former Auburn player anywhere on their staff. There is a former Auburn coach on their staff. Tommy Thigpen.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I checked Tennessee's website and there's no former Auburn player anywhere on their staff. There is a former Auburn coach on their staff. Tommy Thigpen.

Your  a winner.........................................

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Mea culpa.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

There has been talk about him being interested.

I don't doubt it.  If the feeling is mutual, time to warn the coeds.

wde

On 4/15/2017 at 10:00 AM, ellitor said:

The rule is retro-active?? That seems pretty crazy if that is true. 

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

The rule is retro-active?? That seems pretty crazy if that is true. 

Yessir, at least by my reading at 

I do. however, agree with your characterization (and so, apparently, does Coach Malzahn).

21 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I don't doubt it.  If the feeling is mutual, time to warn the coeds.

wde

Elaborate please

Archived