Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think we should either split the DL to Tackles /Ends and develop some good edge rushers or hire a dedicated ST coordinator and make our ST effective.

I thought CKS coached the Bucks & Ends exclusively.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

This is the coaching spot that Kevin Greene should take. 

Don't see him & Steele working together.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Our special team can get better by having a couple more things. 1. Actual return game 2. Better coverage.

That sound kinda smart assy, but really, our return games, kick and punt, have not produced any points or field flips in a long time. Also our coverage seems lackidasical at times.  I don't have any complaints about our FG or punts games.

Makes sense. I guess I take for granted the fact that they catch the punts and seem not to allow big returns (minus vs FSU) so they were doing the job. Can't argue with either point.

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

full time water boy...very important position

Bobby Boucher ?

Pure recruiter is what this position should go to. Hire the best recruiter money can buy.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Pure recruiter is what this position should go to. Hire the best recruiter money can buy.

Let Garner coach DEs; hire Bo Davis to coach DTs- he knows all of the recruiting tricks....

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Our special team can get better by having a couple more things. 1. Actual return game 2. Better coverage.

That sound kinda smart assy, but really, our return games, kick and punt, have not produced any points or field flips in a long time. Also our coverage seems lackidasical at times.  I don't have any complaints about our FG or punts games.

I agree completely about the return game. Demond Washington was the last consistently effective punt returner I can remember. Those punt and kick returns can be game changers because of the momentum they usually bring. 

On the coverage, I've wondered they last couple of years if we didn't struggle with that because our guys take for granted our kickers. On kick offs it seems like it just takes everyone by surprise when Carlson isn't booting it in the stands. And on punts, Phillips hangs the football up so long it's usually fair caught. Not saying that's an excuse and it needs correcting, just my amateur observation.

Bird, i have to admit, i haven't thought much about the ST needing someone to focus only on ST. But you make a good point, that could become a game changer for us. I like the idea of, consistently, having better field position.

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

you got it..................ding ding ding

Ah yes, we need that quality H2O.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Let Garner coach DEs; hire Bo Davis to coach DTs- he knows all of the recruiting tricks....

IDC if you weren't being serious I AGREE!

5 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Bird, i have to admit, i haven't thought much about the ST needing someone to focus only on ST. But you make a good point, that could become a game changer for us. I like the idea of, consistently, having better field position.

How much time has coaching TE's the past two years really taken away from Fountain's special teams coaching?:dunno:

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

How much time has coaching TE's the past two years really taken away from Fountain's special teams coaching?:dunno:

LOL, so true. 

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Well, probably a lot. All of our commits have been very raw

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDC if you weren't being serious I AGREE!

Only half kidding. Or, potentially Garner coaching TEs (which he's done before), Fountain only ST, and a separate DL coach.

Might be a tough pull from aTm since it's his alma mater but money talks and of course look at the DE development at aTm since he's been there.  Typical Terry Price stuff.

52 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I feel the NCAA will allow teams to have a 10th coach. IMO, Al Borges or Kendel Briles would be a good QB coach for us.

Maybe we could get Vennables too

AU could use the 10th spot for a CCL bodyguard.  His job is to keep Gus away from him when Auburn has the ball.

On a side note.. They could also use a GA who's major is IT to handle the comms traffic.  Again, his/her job is to put a jamming freq between CCL's & Gus' headphones when AU has the ball.

:beer2:

3 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

10th position goes to StatTiger.  Coach Chief influencer of direction team should go.  

"If he can't recruit 5*s then don't want him". Signed GWill.

Archived