A look at Stidham vs Oklahoma 2015

I was looking for a more in depth look at Stidham vs live college defenses and I found this video I thought gave an interesting look at it. It's baylor's offensive plays vs Oklahoma in 2015 when Stidham was a freshman. 

Another one as well. Baylor's offensive plays vs OK State 2015. Definitely faces some pressure here.  Stidham leaves game with injury at 9:40. 

Good watch. I like how he has quick feet and extends some plays by moving in the pocket. Made some very good throws and a couple of bad ones.

I watched both of these games the week he committed and realized he wasnt as dual threat as I perceived he was from stidham hype. He more than made up for it with his deep ball accuracy though. I was watching Nate Craig in a-day having a Corey Coleman kind of game. 

That wide open TD pass at the 10 min mark in the first vid was beautiful. The drop was not. lol

Edit: Anyone else notice how stubborn Baylor was in the run game? Hmm.. pretty familiar looking. :)

16 minutes ago, Linayus said:

That wide open TD pass at the 10 min mark in the first vid was beautiful. The drop was not. lol

Edit: Anyone else notice how stubborn Baylor was in the run game? Hmm.. pretty familiar looking. :)

Can't put too much pressure on your true freshman QB

I had seen these before..The pass at 7:30 in the first video was spot on and 8:15 showed he can throw on the move. I wonder if he will bring some plays or minor tweaks from Baylor over here. I wouldn't mind seeing a trick play like the one at :45 as long as the rb has hands..Just not coxcat anymore. Also my gosh that pass in the second video at 4:20 definitely was one of his better ones under pressure. I will give him the benefit of the doubt of being a true freshman for those mistakes, he still did more things a senior would do though.

4 hours ago, Linayus said:

Yep. That play calling was stubborn. I love, I mean hate the play action pass on a 4th and 8. That reminds me of our pass plays. Hopefully former pass plays.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I wish we would get a home and home series with Oklahoma.

Oh lord you just made me laugh................you are consistent. But I want a home and home with my Lobos how bout that a4e

According to sports-reference.com, Jarett also PUNTED for Baylor...TWICE... in 2015 for a 28.5 yd average! (cough cough) Ian Shannon (cough cough).

Baylor had a great run offense that year too, 2 backs 1000+, two other backs 500+, Seth Russel with 400 too. Not saying we won't but it will definitely be critical to keep our RBs healthy (aka not giving Pettway 35 carries in a game that's over in the second quarter). Even if JS can sling it all over the place, these RBs can likely make any QB look that much better. 

If our RBs are mostly healthy, a big and fast arm could be lethal in a play action game. Hoping that CCL is able to bring in some major changes to our PA game.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

According to sports-reference.com, Jarett also PUNTED for Baylor...TWICE... in 2015 for a 28.5 yd average! (cough cough) Ian Shannon (cough cough).

You can see it if you watch the video posted above against Oklahoma. 

24 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Posters like Cole will never agree, but that was pretty good work from a true freshman!

Pretty unnecessary and petty. No need for that.

Why wouldn't I agree that JS can sling it? Was I not one of the most happy posters on here when he signed. Was I not the guy who repeatedly explained how we needed a guy who can stretch the field and open things up? Didn't I explain everything I said with examples and logic? And aren't you the guy who said Gus has nothing to do with how long the position coaches work with their groups during practice? Didn't you laugh at it because you didn't have any understanding of what the position coaches do and how a practice is set up?

Why don't you stop following my post and saying my name trying to argue and just shut up and read some of these post so you can learn about football then you can be an ass but not look so ridiculous when you post?

9 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

It seems that punter would be the easiest of all positions to assess a players talent. I mean wth is the difference between punting 50 yards in high school and punting 50 yards in college? The crowd? Why isn't that easy as he'll to evaluate?

Sorry, just got a little heated thinking about our crap punting game. 

I do love the QB punting because it doesnt allow the other team defense to get their guy back to set up the return team. And it lets the QB make a play if one is there for our offense.

12 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

It seems that punter would be the easiest of all positions to assess a players talent. I mean wth is the difference between punting 50 yards in high school and punting 50 yards in college? The crowd? Why isn't that easy as he'll to evaluate?

Sorry, just got a little heated thinking about our crap punting game. 

I do love the QB punting because it doesnt allow the other team defense to get their guy back to set up the return team. And it lets the QB make a play if one is there for our offense.

Coach up some drop-kicking skills to boot.

Think of the possibilities.

So in looking at the game film, I counted two times where the run-option play was run. I think Auburn's 2017 offense will look much more like last year's offense than it did in 2013 where the run option was heavily utilized. Also, Stidham very wisely slid at the end of all of his runs, unlike SW who often tried to bulldoze his way for every extra yard possible. I think that if Stidham wants to stay healthy next year, we will have to minimize how often he runs and how he runs.

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

So in looking at the game film, I counted two times where the run-option play was run. I think Auburn's 2017 offense will look much more like last year's offense than it did in 2013 where the run option was heavily utilized. Also, Stidham very wisely slid at the end of all of his runs, unlike SW who often tried to bulldoze his way for every extra yard possible. I think that if Stidham wants to stay healthy next year, we will have to minimize how often he runs and how he runs.

I noticed this as well and I think this is a big key.  It almost seems like SW was trying to bulldoze guys last year to prove he deserved the starting spot.  Maybe I am just reading too much into it, but there were several times last year that I thought he should have given himself up and slid to play the next play.  Instead he went flying in there trying to get that 1 or 2 extra yards.  I am sure the sacrifice of his body has a lot to do with why the players really like him.  They see he is willing to lay it all on the line for them.  

My biggest fear in all of this is that we end up with a locker room divided over the starting QB.  That would absolutely destroy what could be a great season.

26 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I noticed this as well and I think this is a big key.  It almost seems like SW was trying to bulldoze guys last year to prove he deserved the starting spot.  Maybe I am just reading too much into it, but there were several times last year that I thought he should have given himself up and slid to play the next play.  Instead he went flying in there trying to get that 1 or 2 extra yards.  I am sure the sacrifice of his body has a lot to do with why the players really like him.  They see he is willing to lay it all on the line for them.  

My biggest fear in all of this is that we end up with a locker room divided over the starting QB.  That would absolutely destroy what could be a great season.

Once Stidham's time is up and Willis takes over, I think we go back to the 2013/2014 offense. I hope we keep recruiting big bruiser running backs.. Tre Mason wasn't the tallest guy, but he bulked up. I like the builds of KJ and KP; they're big dudes.

26 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

There is nothing based on what we've seen or read to think the players' mindset would be like this. Most competitors care about winning.

42 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Worrywart?

Archived