Barrett in 2nd scrimmage

aubiefifty

Auburn freshman Devan Barrett gets 'very good look' at running back in 2nd scrimmage

Posted on August 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Auburn running back Devan Barrett (6) runs the ball Monday, July 31, 2017, during the first day of fall practice at the Auburn Athletic Complex in Auburn, Ala.(JULIE BENNETT)

1 share

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

At least one Auburn freshman continued to make his case for playing time this season during Saturday's scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium, which coach Gus Malzahn described as an "evaluation scrimmage."

With an emphasis on assessing the roles of freshmen and other younger players, Malzahn was particularly pleased with the performance of freshman running back Devan Barrett during the Tigers' second fall scrimmage.

"He got a very good look today," Malzahn said. "He got quite a few carries to show what he could do and he made a couple of good runs. Of course, my big deal is ball security, and I think he protected the ball pretty well today."

Auburn limited top running backs Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson again, minimizing their participation to third-down and 2-minute situations without going full contact. That left an opportunity for four younger running backs to step into the spotlight Saturday as the Tigers continue their search for a third backfield option.

RELATED: Auburn scrimmage report: All 3 quarterbacks throw touchdowns

Barrett, Kam Martin, Malik Miller and C.J. Tolbert all got reps during the scrimmage, while freshman JaTarvious Whitlow was sidelined with an ankle injury that could cost him the season opener against Georgia Southern.

"All four of those guys got an opportunity to really test them and got a couple of series," Malzahn said. "It was a couple of drives that we're always looking for how they respond after maybe the fourth or fifth carry of a drive, and I think most of the guys got an opportunity to show what they can do."

Malzahn and the rest of the offensive staff wanted to see more than just how all four fared running the ball, though. All four were tested in pass protection and how they handle check-downs and the receiving aspect of the position -- something offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey particularly emphasized.

Barrett's stock is on the rise in fall camp

Barrett has impressed through the first two weeks of fall camp but still has a ways to go before cracking the running back rotation this season.

To that end, Barrett has made a solid impression through two weeks and shown a willingness to be physical in pass-blocking. On Thursday, running backs coach Tim Horton said the former four-star prospect's "stock's going up" and that he was in the discussion for the No. 3 running back job.

"It's neat to see our guys get excited when Devan Barrett does something well and be genuine about it, because that's really the kind of culture we have in that room, and that's good," Horton said.

Malzahn was not ready to make any personnel decisions in the immediate aftermath of Saturday's scrimmage, but it's apparent that Barrett continues to make a push for a role as a true freshman.

ADVERTISING

"We got some good information with those guys today," Malzahn said, "and that was by design."

41 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don't know why i though DB was heavier than that.

He was listed heavier and came in about 20 lbs under weight.  Has since put some back on.  He's probably 4th on the depth chart no matter how much you hear he's battling for the 3rd spot.  That's all Millers.  I'd guess if K-Mart can fricking hold on to the ball and catch it when thrown to him that he would be the 4...  That would either make DB a redshirt or special teams player.  Probably redshirt.

Archived