Officiating

Farmer Brown

The push off no call was bad..........I've seen much worse since my first Iron Bowl 1976.

Thing is I was confident we would win with 3 mins to go in first quarter.

Thought Alabama looked rattled and to be honest after watching Alabama play MSU I liked our chances.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised (not really) that they didn't review the hit on KJ at the 1 in Q3 just before scored....looked like targeting to me.  Harrison's crown of the helmet his KJ in the head.

Did not know that too many men on the field was reviewable.  That's crazy.  Why not review every play for potential penalies and make the games last 5+ hours?  If the refs can't count, so be it.  Why not review for holding, PI, offsides, early movement. et al?

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I have it.  He was clearly beyond the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball and a flag was thrown for it.  Since the play didn't score and the game was over the penalty was just declined.  Unfortunately that 65 yard play is in the stat sheet but only because the game ended during the down.

The play seems to have been wiped from the stats I’ve seen. The penalty can absolutely be accepted as a game CAN end on an offensive penalty (unless the rules have been changed and I didn’t notice). 

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Unfortunately that 65 yard play is in the stat sheet but only because the game ended during the down.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2017-2018/au12.html#GAME.PLY

U 1-10 U32   ALABAMA drive start at 00:08.
  U 1-10 U32   Jalen Hurts rush for 2 yards to the UA34, PENALTY UA illegal forward pass
               (Jalen Hurts) 5 yards to the UA29.
  U 2-13 U29   End of game, clock 00:00.

2 hours ago, bikeriderga said:

Actually, I though the officiating for this game was some of the best we have seen all year.  The replay booth was all over it.

Kudos to the refs in this one. They were actually pretty much on their game. Did they miss some? Of course but in the end, it was an pretty evenly called game. 

Overall, it wasn't as bad as the 2015 IB, but they missed two PI calls on Levi Wallace tackling Slayton prior to the ball arriving. Had Slayton caught either without interference, Slayton scores.

And I won't even ramble about the missed quadruple illegal shifts by Alabama on one play when they used instant replay to call illegal substitution on Auburn. Should have been off-setting, 4th and 9 replayed. Instead, it was 4th and 4.

This pathetic mis-observation by the refs could have cost us an Alabama score. Fortunately, Foster only got 3 yards on 4th down.

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Overall, it wasn't as bad as the 2015 IB, but they missed two PI calls on Levi Wallace tackling Slayton prior to the ball arriving. Had Slayton caught either without interference, Slayton scores.

And I won't even ramble about the missed quadruple illegal shifts by Alabama on one play when they used instant replay to call illegal substitution on Auburn. Should have been off-setting, 4th and 9 replayed. Instead, it was 4th and 4.

This pathetic mis-observation by the refs could have cost us an Alabama score. Fortunately, Foster only got 3 yards on 4th down.

Problem there is the illegal shift would have ave had to be called during live play, it’s not reviewable. It’s admittedly a tough spot for them to be in as refs (I might have still yelled, “Screw you refs!” After AU still stopped them on 4th and short). They have to follow the rule. I wonder though if they might consider a rule change to allow them to flag the illegal shift in the future in that case. 

However, they should have been watching and seen the fact uat wasn’t set, even a little. It’s like the end of the LSU game last year. They didn’t flag them for the illegal shift before replay saved the on field refs who blew a lot on that play. 

On 11/26/2017 at 12:27 PM, jared52 said:

The play seems to have been wiped from the stats I’ve seen. The penalty can absolutely be accepted as a game CAN end on an offensive penalty (unless the rules have been changed and I didn’t notice). 

The boxscore below shows the penalty (from the Auburn site), but the one on ESPN does not and shows the gain and the game over.    It was brought to my attention that I definitely forgot about the loss of down on the play.  So, if we do accept it, its loss of down after a 5 yard penalty and we take over on downs anyway.   the game is still over. :)

On 11/26/2017 at 12:33 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2017-2018/au12.html#GAME.PLY

U 1-10 U32   ALABAMA drive start at 00:08.
  U 1-10 U32   Jalen Hurts rush for 2 yards to the UA34, PENALTY UA illegal forward pass
               (Jalen Hurts) 5 yards to the UA29.
  U 2-13 U29   End of game, clock 00:00.

It really doesn't matter one way or the other.  The game was over regardless. 

Holland said today that he was held a lot, but just kept playing. He knew that he had his player beat....

"The 6-foot-2, 249-pound Holland, who has nine sacks on the season and is 2.5 away from tying the Auburn single-season record, implied he could have been even more effective in the pass rush during Saturday's win."

"I was getting held a little bit, but I never complain," Holland said. "I just go to the next play."

They have to fix the illegal participation review rule. They would never do this. However, they should have said, "Everybody (Auburn, Alabama, and the refs) screwed up on that play. We'll replay the down." Instead, they go by the letter of the law in that instance. Meanwhile, they allow for broad interpretation when it comes to pass interference and holding. They should be given the authority to right an obvious wrong.

Legit question:

I heard them say K Smart submitted 6 plays to SEC league office following our game regarding PI against us that wasn't called.

Sounds fine.

Does Auburn ever submit such?  Too many cases where the refs could have made the right call, but didn't.  Better than past games?  IDK, but sounds like it.  Bama seems to always get away with holding.  Yes I am homer, but I know what I am seeing.

I had the same question about the last play.  The game was over and even though they didn’t show it on TV, the ref made the announcement at the game and did call illegal forward pass, loss of downs.  He then said, penalty declined, game over.  Why didn’t he say; illegal forward pass, loss of down, 5 yard penalty - game over.  ESPN stats still show a 68 yard pass on the last play and a first down.  I know it doesn’t matter know, but I hate they got those junk yards that make the team yardage seem closer than it really was.  Oh, well.  WDE

#kickassgame

14 hours ago, rtftiger said:

They have to fix the illegal participation review rule. They would never do this. However, they should have said, "Everybody (Auburn, Alabama, and the refs) screwed up on that play. We'll replay the down." Instead, they go by the letter of the law in that instance. Meanwhile, they allow for broad interpretation when it comes to pass interference and holding. They should be given the authority to right an obvious wrong.

AU didn’t screw up. Had uat not screwed up, there would have only been 11 men on defense. He was feet away from the sideline and uat wasn’t in formation, much less set. 

Refs should have no authority to adjust rules. That’s not their role. There are already too many calls requiring judgement. The legislative body makes the rules, the refs enforce them. 

23 hours ago, WarTiger said:

The boxscore below shows the penalty (from the Auburn site), but the one on ESPN does not and shows the gain and the game over.    It was brought to my attention that I definitely forgot about the loss of down on the play.  So, if we do accept it, its loss of down after a 5 yard penalty and we take over on downs anyway. 

We would not have taken over on downs as it was 1st Down. 

I had a lot of time to kill while traveling yesterday and spent a lot of time lurking on Tidefans.com. In fact, I read all of their game threads (both halves) and some of their post-game thread.  (All for the purpose of schadenfreude mind you.)

It's really funny to see how some (on both sides) attribute their team's misfortune to poor officiating, often implying it's deliberate, especially when playing in the opposition's stadium.  Apparently, Auburn was holding on every play.  :rolleyes:  

But I did enjoy the comments referring to Jordan-Hare "voodoo".  They all respect the difficulties that come with playing us there.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

I had a lot of time to kill while traveling yesterday and spent a lot of time lurking on Tidefans.com. In fact, I read all of their game threads (both halves) and some of their post-game thread.  (All for the purpose of schadenfreude mind you.)

It's really funny to see how some (on both sides) attribute their team's misfortune to poor officiating, often implying it's deliberate.  Especially when playing in the opposition's stadium.   Apparently, Auburn was holding on every play.  :rolleyes:  

Most have been relatively calm with their melts, and those that have discussed it with me either in PMs or on the forum have been pretty gracious after the loss (not shocked, they seem to actually enjoy having me around).

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

But I did like the comments referring to Jordan-Hare "voodoo".  They all respect the difficulties that come with playing us there.

Our home field advantage is criminally underrated. 

On 11/25/2017 at 8:59 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

How quickly the 2015 IB is forgotten.

Are we supposed to read Saban's lips in that gif?  >:D

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Another thing that was funny on tidefans.com was how many people thought the penalty for ripping Stidams helmet off was totally bogus. :lol:  

For Evans to rip it off the way he did, he had to have his hands over the facemask...which he did.  However, if the facemask had been ORANGE, it would have burned his hands!!!

7 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Most have been relatively calm with their melts, and those that have discussed it with me either in PMs or on the forum have been pretty gracious after the loss (not shocked, they seem to actually enjoy having me around).

Our home field advantage is criminally underrated. 

I am in total awe of your diplomatic skills Ben. 

I've tried posting there, but have never lasted more than a post or two. And I was being polite and respectful.  Honestly.  

4 minutes ago, Warbird82 said:

Are we supposed to read Saban's lips in that gif?  >:D

I think it resembles a Vince Lombardi quote:

Archived