Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

3 minutes ago, creed said:

The fans and the media are the ones stating it's all about the money. Gus... "I am and want to be the coach at Auburn".

Good. Since Gus has a contract that he agreed to through 2020, then Gus should be content at AU with no raise (other than one any bonuses built into the existing contract) and no extension right?

wde

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Want? He is the coach at AU. That is all that needs to be said. Unless he is wanting something else. Let's not act oblivious to the obvious. Clearly, he wants an extension. That is how I took the statement.

What's wrong with wanting an extension? What coach would not want one? 

Just now, creed said:

There is nothing wrong with it. So why not get it done then? Why not make it amicable for both parties, if you really want to stay at a place and that is your passion. To me, it would've been done with it already. In fact, there shouldn't even be this Arkansas rumor. This could've been dispelled last night.

1 minute ago, creed said:

I am sure he wants one, but why should be receive one?   He is under contract through 2020.

wde

Just now, DAG said:

There is nothing wrong with it. So why not get it done then? Why not make it amicable for both parties, if you really want to stay at a place and that is your passion. To me, it would've been done with it already. In fact, there shouldn't even be this Arkansas rumor. This could've been dispelled last night.

This. 

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Good. Since Gus has a contract that he agreed to through 2020, then Gus should be content at AU with no raise (other than one any bonuses built into the existing contract) and no extension right?

wde

You need to tell this to his agent not Gus.

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

The fact that Gus keeps saying he " wants to be the coach"  at Auburn speaks volumes. He already IS the Auburn coach with a current CONTRACT to coach Auburn. To me this signifies he is demanding more money/new contract and he wants to see if Auburn will pony up. 

If people can't see the game he's playing then I don't know what else to say. 

Just now, creed said:

LMAO, do you think Sexton is doing this without Gus' knowledge or approval?  Gus is not some innocent bystander. Good grief.

wde

"Gus was out coached"

Pretty good year for a year 1 QB.

Both starting RBs get hurt, 1 for most of the season.

Multiple injuries along the O-line.

Lose best cover corner during champ game.

and with all that... if we don't have multiple drives end by a derp derp fumble, blocked fg, fumble by a banged up KJ we probably win the game.

1 minute ago, creed said:

I think we are assuming that Gus and his agent have an understanding of what they both want. In reality, the agent is an extension of Gus. If the agent is demanding an extension, I’m assuming the coach is backing the demand. He has to, because Auburn could deny his demands and send him packing. If the demand was not the representation of Gus’s interests, a third party just lost Gus a job. 

2 minutes ago, creed said:

I am surely not saying you are wrong for the position you are taking. I just think if Gus wants to stay at AU like he says, then he would've been more committed in the open last night. Heck, I don't blame him for not fully committing. It messes up negotiations. I am just simply saying, let's not act like CGM doesn't have an offer out from Arkansas. Probably a very good offer. Let's also not act like, he isn't using this to his advantage. That is his prerogative.

I want to be the head coach at Auburn,” he said

You will be?

“I want to be.

That is not a committed answer. Can't say I blame him because I don't know how committed AU is to him. I guess we will see soon enough.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You will be?

“I want to be.

That is not a committed answer. Can't say I blame him because I don't know how committed AU is to him. I guess we will see soon enough.

I understand the reality of the situation, but AU is committed to Gus through 2020 with a contract Gus agreed to. So right now, I see AU as being committed as is.  Gus is one that has to decide whether he is committed to AU.  Again, I know AU will cave and offer him a raise and extension, but this crap that Gus just loves AU and is commited to AU, yet AU is not commited to Gus is laughable.

wde

Lol @ people who want us to walk away from his demands. He has all the leverage. He knows if he leaves we will be sitting right next to Tennessee in a coaching search mess.

Not to mention he won the West and our team was broken by the time the 2nd half yesterday rolled around -- KJ was super banged up, Tre Williams and Carlton Davis out. We were barely hanging on with KJ not able to be himself but losing 2 studs on defense just flatlined us. Gus did a great job after the LSU game and I think if we're 100% heading into the SEC championship we probably beat UGA as we've already shown we can dominate them when our team is in-tact.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You will be?

“I want to be.

Yeah, I kinda took that last line as meaning, "I want to be, if the price is right."  

But who really knows for certain?

It all boils down to; does Auburn want to have Gus as our coach or is his contract demand not worth what we have seen for 5 years?  It’s out of the fan’s control.  Auburn, through the BOT and big boosters, will give Gus what they are willing to do for Gus and Gus (not his agent) will have to decide if he wants to be the coach at Auburn.

Good luck Gus, we’ll all be watching.

My issue with Gus over the past couple of years were...

1. His stale plays

2. His stubborn play calling

3. His lack of player utilization

4. His lack of/missing aggression.

Though this year started just like the previous two, it drastically changed after the LSU loss.  The plays, the play calling, and the play balance all changed for the better.  Also Gus recaptured the aggression/swag he used to coach with.  His attitude changed and he wanted to embarrass his opponent.  I loved that. The players fed off of it and the season began to snowball in the right direction.  

I only have 2 complaints toward Gus and this season. One is pre LSU and one post. The first is the unprepared manner in which we start a season and that can't be revisited until  Washington next year.  The second is the lack of development with regards to the RB. That clearly falls under the player utilization that bothered me previously. I also would've liked to have seen some more receivers given a chance to build some depth as well.

With all that said, I believe Gus did take another giant step in the right direction as far as becoming the HC that we all want him to be. He has built a good foundation of expectations, discipline, and talent, and he is starting to build upon it. Has he arrived? Not entirely, but my hope is he continues to evolve and create many more memorable seasons.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol @ people who want us to walk away from his demands. He has all the leverage. He knows if he leaves we will be sitting right next to Tennessee in a coaching search mess.

Not to mention he won the West and our team was broken by the time the 2nd half yesterday rolled around -- KJ was super banged up, Tre Williams and Carlton Davis out. We were barely hanging on with KJ not able to be himself but losing 2 studs on defense just flatlined us. Gus did a great job after the LSU game and I think if we're 100% heading into the SEC championship we probably beat UGA as we've already shown we can dominate them when our team is in-tact.

Well what are his demands? That is the key? If he is asking to be the second highest paid coach as shown by a long extension, do you give it to him E.G. Jimbo? Those are the hard questions and decisions that have to be had.

Its how the game is played nowadays.  Its one reason I marvel at the blind loyalty of some fans to their coach. Except in rare instances there are no more Pat Dyes, Bobby Bowdens etc. who actually have deep feelings for the school. Mostly they are all hired guns looking for big paydays and control.  I think Gus is a good guy and probably an honorable man. But he isn’t immune to the temptations of more money and power over a program.  Auburn was great before Gus and will be great after.  If Gus stays great. We will have stability with a talented roster coming back and he will probably win at least eight again. If he leaves great too. He doesn’t want to be here then go. A new coach will inherit that talented roster and hopefully mop the floor with Gus the next few years. 

I can see it from a mile away...if Gus leaves there will be threads about how all of the critical fans on message boards contributed to him leaving.  Apparently they think Gus jumps up every morning and reads AUFamily.  If he leaves he has 60 million other reasons to do so. 

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My issue with Gus over the past couple of years were...

1. His stale plays

2. His stubborn play calling

3. His lack of player utilization

4. His lack of/missing aggression.

Though this year started just like the previous two, it drastically changed after the LSU loss.  The plays, the play calling, and the play balance all changed for the better.  Also Gus recaptured the aggression/swag he used to coach with.  His attitude changed and he wanted to embarrass his opponent.  I loved that. The players fed off of it and the season began to snowball in the right direction.  

I only have 2 complaints toward Gus and this season. One is pre LSU and one post. The first is the unprepared manner in which we start a season and that can't be revisited until  Washington next year.  The second is the lack of development with regards to the RB. That clearly falls under the player utilization that bothered me previously. I also would've liked to have seen some more receivers given a chance to build some depth as well.

With all that said, I believe Gus did take another giant step in the right direction as far as becoming the HC that we all want him to be. He has built a good foundation of expectations, discipline, and talent, and he is starting to build upon it. Has he arrived? Not entirely, but my hope is he continues to evolve and create many more memorable seasons.

Bird, I STILL need to see Gus 1 got dang time when he gets hit in the mouth in a big game and where his initial script and gameplan does not work I NEED to see him PIVOT and actually adjust!! Same ish different game yesterday. The passing game leaves a lot to be desired still as well. When we get down and are in obvious passing situations the passing game is embarrassing. We will not have a better passer than stidham in following years as well. That is scary.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

You have any evidence of this?    Never seen him quoted except to say he wants to stay at AU.   And of course, coaches don't negotiate their own deals anyway.  Bet Gus has never talked contract or money directly with AU.  

You're correct.

l have no evidence that this Arky/contract stuff played any part in this team's performance last night.

Instead this was just yet one more example of a Gus led team crapping the bed in a big game.  They looked unmotivated, under prepared, and couldn't adjust at all in the face of adversity (or halftime even).

You win.

BTW,  I'm confident that you're not a gullible type, so please spare me the "wants" to be here baloney.  You know that's political speak code for "if they meet my incredible demands".  It's a far cry from "I WILL be here".  Keep in mind, he IS under contract and nobody has threatened to fire him.

If it was up to me and it clearly is not, I would give Gus a small raise but give Steele and Lindsey nice raises.  Also I would agree to upgrade facilities.  Right now gus is only as good as his assistants.  If we keep them, we will be successful next year.  The upgrades to facilities will help keep the talent coming in the future.  I would not get in a bidding war.  I would tell him to take it or start packing.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

"Gus was out coached"

Pretty good year for a year 1 QB.

Both starting RBs get hurt, 1 for most of the season.

Multiple injuries along the O-line.

Lose best cover corner during champ game.

and with all that... if we don't have multiple drives end by a derp derp fumble, blocked fg, fumble by a banged up KJ we probably win the game.

Stidham was hyped to be incredible. 

KP is not that good when playing against a good team. 

Carlton Davis has regressed from his freshman year. 

No excuses. 

Archived