Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen, Saban is the devil. He doesn’t age, he will use his black magic to always be there, and he will always be right there...so, tell me who is better? Gus is the guy right now, unless a man can name someone better 

3 minutes ago, WDE Matty said:

Dang foolish. Keep Gus! What are y’all thinking?!

If Gus leaves, it will be because Gus does not want AU, not the other way around.  AU has floated Gus for 2 years of mediocre to poor results prior to 2017.

wde

Get rid of the idiot coach while you can.  He is no good and just a high school coach at best.  Fire him and let him go while you can!!!

(I'm feeling a little like Bre'r Rabbit in Disney's Song of the South...."Please don't throw me in the briar patch!)

36 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

It would be foolish to let Gus leave. 

I totally agree. I am so hoping that our AU negotiating team, whomever that may be, sees the light and finds an agreement to Gus. I sure do hope that they read sports and have seen the grief at Tennessee. JMO

33 minutes ago, WDE Matty said:

Listen, Saban is the devil. He doesn’t age, he will use his black magic to always be there, and he will always be right there...so, tell me who is better? Gus is the guy right now, unless a man can name someone better 

This is true and there is no way to change it. We need to take care of Auburn business and not shoot ourselves in the foot. We have just done as well (quite well) as we could have done this year. Give the coach a break and settle this thing so we do not set ourselves 3 years backward.

1 hour ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I mean people are complaining about having to pay Gus. Let’s say we let him go. Who you going to get for less? Dan Mullin got 6 mil a year at Florida, Dabo makes 8. Jimbo got 7.5. So y’all are in favor of letting him go just so you can pay someone else what he is asking for... 

Absolutely my point exactly. Negotiate in good faith and make it happen. Otherwise, we save a million a year and set our program on another "unknown" 3-year startover. That would be obsurd!

Gus is not worth the raise and extension. Prove yourself your worth 7mil a year 1st. If the rumors are true surely we don’t match the offer. Will only come back to bite us.

Just now, JMassie11 said:

Gus is not worth the raise and extension. Prove yourself your worth 7mil a year 1st. If the rumors are true surely we don’t match the offer. Will only come back to bite us.

hmmmmmmm did not expect this from you! lol. Usually you are aligned with the gus bus/sunshine pumper crew. 

29 minutes ago, Rootin'FromArkansas said:

Get rid of the idiot coach while you can.  He is no good and just a high school coach at best.  Fire him and let him go while you can!!!

(I'm feeling a little like Bre'r Rabbit in Disney's Song of the South...."Please don't throw me in the briar patch!)

Gus isn't going anywhere.  

In a few days, we'll hear Arkansas has contacted someone else for the HC position and over a long winter weekend @ midnight, AU will announce they've decided to give Gus more money and have extended his contract 2 years and we'll all meet up here next year to grouse about Coach Choke-a-tron. 

The only thing AU fans hate more than mediocrity is change.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The only thing AU fans hate more than mediocrity is change.

Speak for yourself. I’m more open to change than mediocrity. If that change means that we can excel past mediocrity. 

If Gus Malzahn stays I will support it. If he goes to Arkansas, I will support that too. It's a $3 million~ a year bonus to coach in his home state. Yeah, there are huge cons of coaching Arkansas but if that's what he wants to do, he should.

I was "Pro get rid of Gus" and "Pro Arkansas take him away from us" after the Clemson and LSU losses. But then he turned the team around and made it to the SECCG after knocking off two undefeated #1 teams. While I'm still not on the Gus Bus, or even in the parking lot, I was very happy of the turnaround he made and how well he kept the team intact. I'll give him where credit is due, no doubt. I'm bummed we didn't win yesterday, but I'm just grateful and excited we even got to the conference championship and were 3 quarters away from the Playoffs--which is more than other teams can say. He already exceeded my expectations, because I really didn't think the team would win out the regular season to go on to play in the SECCG--though I should clarify, it was only because I didn't have confidence in the coaching staff, defensive staff excluded. I had full faith in the players. 

But giving him an extension or a raise? No. He's doing what he's getting paid to do. He's beating his rivals once every three years. It'd be one thing if he was beating them every other year, like at home. Then I'd be like "okay maybe." But he's doing what he's getting paid to do. I don't think this season warrants a raise and extension, as satisfying as the wins over UGA and Alabama were.

Looks like we gave in. Wish i had an agent like Sexton. I tell you what....for those that are ok with overpaying him....you better stay glued to the Gus bus if 2018 is a 8 or 9 win season. Don't be bringing out any pitchforks asking for him to be fired.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Way to go Gus and Auburn, I’m you reached a deal.  Keep on evolving Gus.

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And a gasp of relief or anguish spreads across the southeast. 

lol spot on. I was talking to a few Auburn friends after the game and we both agreed UNLESS you have one of the true top guys in the industry as your coach every fanbase is like this. There is not a consensus either way. Most people (including myself) go back and forth and have a love/ hate relationship with gus.

Archived