Malzahn wants to be loved/paid

AU-24

I doubt seriously if there is a quote even remotely close and attributable to Gus on the "love" idea, but there is no way he comes away from this whole deal without looking like a complete fruit cake.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

You get an up-and-down reception when your performance is up-and-down, and that's anywhere

Man you nailed it . What do AU fans expect? We have been to the holy land twice since 2010. We expect to be consistent and win . Sorry Gus if that hurts your feelings . I want him to stay . If he wants to leave he can go . We will be fine . Hire kiffin . He will absolutely thrive with this team 

Gus won SEC West, beat two biggest rivals, finished in top ten regular season, New Years Six Bowl likely, top ten recruiting likely!!!! Stop moving the goalposts back, fickle, fair weather fans ! He did most everything posters said he needed to do to be our coach next year. Give him a contract and let’s stop the fire Gus crapola!

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Gus won SEC West, beat two biggest rivals, finished in top ten regular season, New Years Six Bowl likely, top ten recruiting likely!!!! Stop moving the goalposts back, fickle, fair weather fans ! He did most everything posters said he needed to do to be our coach next year. Give him a contract and let’s stop the fire Gus crapola!

Nowhere in this thread is anyone changing the benchmark or advocating firing him.  If he means what he says he'll be here.  It's just that easy.

26 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

You do realize some on here will not get your sarcasm? Lol

Personally, I believe that a prerequisite to be able to comment on ANY discussion board is lessons in, and truly understanding, the meaning of sarcasm............ it seems to fly right over the head of many people........

With that being said, I know that most on here want to see Auburn succeed ALWAYS, in everything we do, some of us just have different ideas on how that should be accomplished..............

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

He also lost to a rival,complete debacle at LSU so why give him the brinks truck for 1 great year??? He's under contract is he not?? By some logic he should of been fired for the 6-6 season. We constantly tell players to stand by your commitment,maybe the coaches should follow suite.

25 minutes ago, toddc said:

Amen..hopefully our AU powers-that-be will make it happen...the sooner the better.

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

Gus has had 5 years to earn the love that he so desires when most coaches only get 3 years.  I reluctantly boarded the Gus Bus again with an eye in the rear view mirror thinking the old Gus might resurface next season, but he didn't wait that long to revert.   I still hope he will stay so that we can maintain stability, but if he's that unhappy then I hope he doesn't let the door hit him in the rear.  If I'm in charge, I tell him he's he's earned his pay this season, extend his contract by 1 year with a token pay increase, and tell if he's still unhappy that I'll make arrangements for his replacement.   IMO Gus lost a lot of bargaining power with yesterday's loss.  

An he definitely knows that.  He goes to Arkansas, he's done.

I'm really not certain that many on here get that.  Yep, they have spent money on updating their Facilities, but it is still Arkansas, and the good kids will not want to go there.  They will be looking to schools with a name and a real history.  He won't recruit as well there as he has here, and he has recruited nominally here.

That ain't Arkansas, and he won't turn them into that.

I personally sent an email to thank Gus for this tremendous year, with a copy to the president. I can relate to his feelings of wanting to "feel the love" (if in fact that story has any truth to it at all). My husband was in local politics and, even though he did many positive things for our community, there were ALWAYS people out there who could only find negative things to say. He was chairman of our county commission and some people thought they could do a better job. Those people also didn't understand many of the legal restrictions or other complexities of the job. I think this is a similar situation to what Gus is in. There are things going on inside that program that we do not know. We don't know who is meddling. We don't know what discipline he has to dole out to kids. We don't know the true extent of the injuries. We don't know what Gus's reasons are for not trusting certain players in certain situations. There's plenty we don't know. But we DO know that we beat our 2 biggest rivals, that we had injuries and other adversities and that our team had tremendous chemistry and never quit. We also know that Gus has put together a very good staff. If you negative guys want to throw it all away, I just don't understand you. If you want to keep Gus, I would suggest that you send him an email and let him know it. I'd love for him to know that there are a lot more positive, appreciative fans than negative ones.

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I'd love for him to know that there are a lot more positive, appreciative fans than negative ones.

Y'sure bout dat?  :poke:

I know I'd love you a lot more if you'd stop choking in the big games, Gus.

Arky deal is 7 years/$50 million...?!

* "Watch that screen door..." * 

If Auburn gives Gus a raise that is not directly tied to performance they are idiots. Colleges in general are just throwing money at these guys without any performance ties. Look at Jimbo Fisher. $75,000,000 guaranteed money. That is absurd. I sure hope Auburn doesn't fall into that trap.

I hope you all realize that if we actually run this man out of town, we are absolutely screwed in finding a new head coach. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I hope you all realize that if we actually run this man out of town, we are absolutely screwed in finding a new head coach. 

How and who is running Gus out of town?  Gus is looking to run it seems to me.

wde

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

We are already screwed needing a coach.

Just now, AUIH1 said:

wde

Ignoring what he said in the first part of the post, the latter is absolutely true. 

The uproar with who we hire next will be much worse than those saying he needs to go. 

1 hour ago, Pedaler said:

You get an up-and-down reception when your performance is up-and-down, and that's anywhere

Not really....check Miss State or TCU or Iowa and other schools that are realistic about their potential.

AU folks (some at least) have a certain vision for the football program that puts it up with bama...and are willing to pay to get there....and I don't think Gus will ever make them happy ....so why drag this out?

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

It’s not like he doesn’t realize that everytime we lose, this fanbase calls for his head. It’s not like he’s oblivious to it. It happens every single time. The man wants to feel loved by the fanbase but that’s not what he’s feeling clearly. Replacing a head coach will put this program back years.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Run hm out of town?  What are you talking about? 

Supposedly, he's got a serious offer from the Piggies and it's his to accept or reject.  

Are you thinking we should offer him more?  What's a good number to you?

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s not like he doesn’t realize that everytime we lose, this fanbase calls for his head. It’s not like he’s oblivious to it. It happens every single time. They man wants to feel loved by the fanbase but that’s not what he’s feeling clearly. Replacing a head coach will put this program back years.

Amen and amen. This fan base is completely unrealistic.

We have a chance to get out front and help stop the craziness of these escalating salaries and stand our ground. We can tell Gus good riddance and encourage him to go to the grass greener on the other side and stick to our convictions and budget and hire a second tier head coach or an up and comer assistant at our current levels. The reality is, with the hunchback getting paid $6M, Jim Bob getting $7.5, and Satan getting $11+M, Gus holds the chips and we have to decide whether we want to play or not. Pitching Gus at this point would set us back another 2-4 years to get a cohesive, effective staff in place, and we would still pay any known replacement in the 6-8M range. It's called capitalism and that's the current market. If we had any idea of getting rid of him, it should have happened 6 weeks ago. Auburn needs to get the deal done quickly and stop this waste of energy. 

47 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s not like he doesn’t realize that everytime we lose, this fanbase calls for his head. It’s not like he’s oblivious to it. It happens every single time. The man wants to feel loved by the fanbase but that’s not what he’s feeling clearly. Replacing a head coach will put this program back years.

That will happen with any fan base like ours with any HC and in Gus' case it largely comes with how he loses and who he has a propensity to lose to which again comes with the territory at any school that fancies itself to be a legimate SEC contender.    No one that matters has said they want Gus to be fired this year.  

I don't doubt it will set the program back (but probably not years if AU history is any indication).  I am not in favor of getting rid of him.  I am also not in favor of paying him more than he is worth (which is not more than his current salary that is good for three more years).  I understand that AU will have to offer some sort of raise, but to go higher than 6.5 mil/year would be incredibly dumb IMO for what Gus has produced thus far.

wde

Archived