Malzahn wants to be loved/paid

AU-24

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not really....check Miss State or TCU or Iowa and other schools that are realistic about their potential.

AU folks (some at least) have a certain vision for the football program that puts it up with bama...and are willing to pay to get there....and I don't think Gus will ever make them happy ....so why drag this out?

Lol... did you just compare us to Mss St, TCU, and Iowa?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team had improved as the season went on and even their 2 losses were very close. They closed it out by beating BOTH bama and Georgia in dominating fashion. By the end of the regular season, on several levels, it looked to many like Gus finally got himself and the program over the hump. It was a very good regular season.

After all that we have a game that 'appeared' to revert back to some of the losses of the previous years. A close loss would appear different today but it was the worst loss of the season and with a lot on the line. The way this SECCG loss played out is bad timing for Gus in the perception department. That will likely have an effect on the back and forth process this week. We wait....

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not really....check Miss State or TCU or Iowa and other schools that are realistic about their potential.

AU folks (some at least) have a certain vision for the football program that puts it up with bama...and are willing to pay to get there....and I don't think Gus will ever make them happy ....so why drag this out?

Who are you referring to exactly? I for one am happy with this season. Most on here who have been critical of Gus have no delusions or wish to be bammer. Find a fan base where everyone agrees on everything all the time.

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Amen and amen. This fan base is completely unrealistic.

How is our fanbase being unrealistic with Gus? That we want a better than 4-7 record against UGA and spuat and not have seasons like 2105, 2016 and games like Clemson, LSU and UGA yesterday this season....Gus has been paid handsomely for what he has produced through yesterday. He deserves another year.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

How is our fanbase being unrealistic with Gus? That we want a better than 4-7 record against UGA and spuat and not have seasons like 2105, 2016 and games like Clemson, LSU and UGA yesterday this season....Gus has been paid handsomely for what he has produced through yesterday. He deserves another year.

wde

Preach 

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

That will probably have an effect on the back ad forth process the next week. We wait.

I don't think we'll get to next week. It'll be done within a few hours TODAY

We can retain Gus for less than $7M/yr. My question to all is, who do you get that’s better for less or equal? If no one for less or equal, is making a change worth more program instability when it seems like we are moving in the right direction?

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s not like he doesn’t realize that everytime we lose, this fanbase calls for his head. It’s not like he’s oblivious to it. It happens every single time. They man wants to feel loved by the fanbase but that’s not what he’s feeling clearly. Replacing a head coach will put this program back years.

Its not about the losing.  Its how we lose.  Gus has EARNED every criticism he has received.  Taking 4 games to figure out your identity every friggin' year, taking all four quarters to finally eek by the weak arse teams we play like Mercer, the inability to make any kind of in game adjustments whatsoever, making the same mistakes over and over again like going conservative against LSU, and personnel decisions that take scared and untrustworthy to different levels.  Gus is a scheme runner.  I don't know any better way to say it.  Not being ugly but calling him a football coach is a stretch.  Gus starts every game with his players and his gameplan.  If either falter he has absolutely no answer.  Either he can trick teams with his hocus pocus or he can't.  He won't even gameplan for his horse being down to two good legs.  In two years we have had critical games at the end of the year with injuries at QB and RB and Gus opted to gameplan with the injured player.  Its because he is either a paranoid non trusting coach or he does not know how to do anything differently.  No matter who we play its the exact same play calls every single game.  He sprinkles in a few trick plays to try against UGA and Bama every year.  A good coach worth 7 mill a year could take our talent and change up the play calling to beat Thuga last night.  What did Gus do.......He did the exact, THE EXACT, same thing we did in the first game with a RB he knew was not 75%.  Who plays a team twice in three weeks and thinks the exact same gameplan will work when your star of the first game is hurting???????  Only Gus.

50 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Who are you referring to exactly? I for one am happy with this season. Most on here who have been critical of Gus have no delusions or wish to be bammer. Find a fan base where everyone agrees on everything all the time.

I am happy with the season overall.  Yesterday was a major fail on the big stage though  and just makes me question whether what saw after LSU until yesterday was really a new Gus.

wde

Who should we believe ? CBS, or the " inside sources " who told us Friday night that a long term, lucrative deal had ALREADY been signed by Gus, and would be announced Saturday morning ???

Go, stay, I don't care. We beat  our 2 biggest rivals, won the SEC West, and lookie ! They BOTH get to go to the BCS anyways !!! YAY ! 

Can any of our insiders shed light as to whether the school has a Plan B in mind if Gus does split?

Not asking for names, just if there is a plan in place?

And who the hell would pull the trigger on a decision? Ultimately Board and Pres, but what would Jacobs’ influence be?

11-1 choked in a Championship game we should have won by 50 points and forever put an asterisk on the season of miracles.

8-4 I was fine with it at the time. This is where, if I remember correctly, we started trading field goals for touchdowns and looking inept in the red zone.

6-6 Inexcusable at Auburn especially with our recent recruiting classes. Two years removed from a National Championship being .500 is embarrassing

8-4 Terrible coaching in this season and a complete mishandeling of Sean White. Never adjusted to his skill set, offense was as predictable as a 6 year old playing Madden, and I had to watch players straight up quit against Georgia. 

10-3 (up) wasted the best roster we have had, from top to bottom, since maybe the undefeated Cadillac/Ronnie team. Lead the team completely unprepared into the Georgia game and got embarrassed by an opponent who should have been a stepping stone to success.

People on this forum have been vehemently critical of coaches like Richt who consistently won 10 games but choked when it mattered. Well, we're inconsistently anywhere from 6-6 to 11-1 and we have choked at every opportunity to be great.

It's one thing when you don't have the talent. It's one thing when you don't have the funding, it's one thing when you don't have the support of the school, but we don't have an issue with any of those categories. So what's left? We have been out coached in critical moments for years. A first time head coach in the SEC flat out prepared his team to flip the script by almost a 60 point swing 

6 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I don't think we'll get to next week. It'll be done within a few hours TODAY

That's what they're saying on 247 now, yep.

Gus gets talent, but then his mind freezes and he doesn't know how to use them. Not with any consistency. 

So he goes, and then what ? We have a crappy recruiting class, and forever go 8-4, 9-3, and lose to bama 9-10 years, for as long as Saban is there. And then we'll do the same when Dabo leaves Clemson to coach bama. 

I'm fed up. 

He makes ~4 million a year in a state that has an annual average of 39k. He gets paid. We love the team. We don’t love the crazy roller coaster ride we’ve been on with a stubborn coach. He deserves whatever bonus comes with stomping UGA, Bama, and being top 10. Nothing more. 

Keep Gus. Ive learned two universal truth when it comes to big time CFB programs doing coaching searces:

1. Every school (AU included) has an inflated view of how desirable their job is for coaching candidates.

Thats how LSU got Orgeron, and Bama got Mike Price, and Nebraska got Bill Callahan, and Tennessee got Dooley and Jones. 

2. You very very rarely get your first pick. Your rarely get your second pick. In the blink of an eye, you can be on numbers 5, 6, 7.  

We went from Petrino, to Fisher, to Chizik pretty quickly one time. Be VERY careful what you ask for.

24 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

That will happen with any fan base like ours with any HC and in Gus' case it largely comes with how he loses and who he has a propensity to lose too which again comes with the territory at any school that fancies itself to be a legimate SEC contender.    No one that matters has said they want Gus to be fired this year.  

I don't doubt it will set the program back (but probably not years if AU history is any indication).  I am not in favor of getting rid of him.  I am also not in favor of paying him more than he is worth (which is not more than his current salary that is good for three more years).  I understand that AU will have to offer some sort of raise, but to go higher than 6.5 mil/year would be incredibly dumb IMO for what Gus has produced thus far.

wde

Agree with your second paragraph. 

The posters here are as bi-polar and divided as Gus at times. Fire him, keep him, fire him, keep him. We have taken on the personality of our head coach. LOL IF we keep him, that is good, if we lose him because he fells unloved, then hire someone else. Grow up. Send him some roses and candy. I am almost neutral on it.

Ever since his first two seasons, Gus has insisted on using a drop-back, non-running threat QB in his offense. I can’t understand this. His offense needs a legitimate running threat at QB, otherwise it is susceptible to complete phases of complete ineptitude like we saw yesterday. Urban Meyer gets it. He always has a dual-threat QB at OSU. Idk if Gus is too stubborn or what, but his offense isn’t sophisticated enough to win consistently with drop-back, pro-style QB.  Even one who is incredibly talented like Stidham.

In my opinion, this has been the source our identity crisis on offense ever since Nick Marshall graduated. Gus is in denial about what his offense is.

40 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

Can any of our insiders shed light as to whether the school has a Plan B in mind if Gus does split?

Not asking for names, just if there is a plan in place?

And who the hell would pull the trigger on a decision? Ultimately Board and Pres, but what would Jacobs’ influence be?

I’m sure we’ve had a short list going since the LSU game. However, how many of those names would be available at this time is in question. 

Could be way off base but Here's my thinking. There was a problem with CGM that he couldn't win the big games. I know we are disappointed with the SECCG and our performance but we had to go through our biggest rivals who happened to be the top teams in the country and we beat them handily, so if not for those huge wins we wouldn't have had a chance to be disappointed in losing the SECCG. Since the LSU game we played the best football I've seen in a loooooonnngggg time. Injuries, exhaustion and turnovers did us in. It was a great run.

My point being is don't let you disappointment overshadow what happened this season

In other words, don't cut off your nose to spite your face 

Archived