2019 4* LB Lavonta Bentley

ellitor

Northgatiger, you really think a running back wouldn’t come to AU because he thinks he might have to carry the full load! I think most great running backs would say give me the ball, give me the ball coach!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, toddc said:

Northgatiger, you really think a running back wouldn’t come to AU because he thinks he might have to carry the full load! I think most great running backs would say give me the ball, give me the ball coach!

You are absolutely correct. However, if one accepts that there's no way to put a negative spin on it. So.......

10 hours ago, toddc said:

I absolutely think today that RBs are looking at longevity and don't want to get ran into the ground.  I think unlike in the past they would prefer to share the load and save their bodies for the next level.  You are seeing it everywhere in college football except Auburn.  Mikey I am not trying to put negative spin on anything.  I simply stated that running a RB into the ground can be used negatively in recruiting.  Especially with the parents.  

I don't think Worm Shivers or his mom are worried about too many carries; " Senior running back Shaun Shivers completed his decorated high school career, running for 216 yards and two touchdowns. The Auburn commit finished his senior season with 2,241 yards. " link:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/broward/fl-sp-cm-3a-final-20171209-story.html

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think Worm Shivers or his mom are worried about too many carries; " Senior running back Shaun Shivers completed his decorated high school career, running for 216 yards and two touchdowns. The Auburn commit finished his senior season with 2,241 yards. " link:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/broward/fl-sp-cm-3a-final-20171209-story.html

I agree with your point, but you're not really proving it with those stats. Shaun had fewer carries (268) over the 21 games of his 2 seasons in high school than Kerryon Johnson did (285) in his 12 games in 2017. That's just over half the carries per game. 

The NFL is looking for guys with a little more tread left on their tires. That's not lost on college and high school players. Many- maybe even most- will still want as many carries as they can get. Others will listen to a sales pitch offering a different perspective. 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree with your point, but you're not really proving it with those stats. Shaun had fewer carries (268) over the 21 games of his 2 seasons in high school than Kerryon Johnson did (285) in his 12 games in 2017. That's just over half the carries per game. 

The NFL is looking for guys with a little more tread left on their tires. That's not lost on college and high school players. Many- maybe even most- will still want as many carries as they can get. Others will listen to a sales pitch offering a different perspective. 

In recruiting there is no perfect solution. One kid would prefer Auburn because he gets a lot of carries and gets the chance to shine. Another thinks about having more tread left for the next level. We see all kinds of different reasons why kids come to a school. School is close to home and family can visit, School is far away and kid wants to see something new,  Number of players at their position that go to NFL, School approaches the game like a business, school is family and like home, where girlfriend goes, etc.

24 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In recruiting there is no perfect solution. One kid would prefer Auburn because he gets a lot of carries and gets the chance to shine. Another thinks about having more tread left for the next level. We see all kinds of different reasons why kids come to a school. School is close to home and family can visit, School is far away and kid wants to see something new,  Number of players at their position that go to NFL, School approaches the game like a business, school is family and like home, where girlfriend goes, etc.

I don't disagree with this and have in fact made all of these points numerous times in past recruiting threads. 

I was just responding to Mikey because I know he appreciates me stalking his posts and needlessly offering counter points. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't disagree with this and have in fact made all of these points numerous times in past recruiting threads. 

I was just responding to Mikey because I know he appreciates me stalking his posts and needlessly offering counter points. 

I was basically just adding to what you said. Mikey is very knowledgeable but it is fun to pull his chain every now and then.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The purpose for Shaun having fewer carries is because he isn't a selfish player. Once we are up on an opponent there was no need for him to continue. He knows how to share the ball. Which resulted in him having fewer carries because he never played in the second half of games because they were blowing out the competition. The is logic reason behind the less carries. 

3 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

The purpose for Shaun having fewer carries is because he isn't a selfish player. Once we are up on an opponent there was no need for him to continue. He knows how to share the ball. Which resulted in him having fewer carries because he never played in the second half of games because they were blowing out the competition. The is logic reason behind the less carries. 

Momma Worm, God bless you for being on this forum! I can’t wait to see your son run the ball for AU! Most of all get a great education and do something great in this world. You’re a good mom from what I’ve seen from your posts, and in what I know about your son!

4 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Totally! And when you're putting up numbers like he has, it doesn't matter how many or how few carries it took to get him there. 

Like I told Mikey, I was agreeing with him that Shaun will eat as many carries as we can feed him. I just like to argue with him and was pointing out something else :)

Trust me, I've been #TeamWorm from the jump and I know he's made for SEC football.

Spring ball will be here before we know it!

Normally can't wait for Spring ball but this year the basketball team is doing so well I have something to keep my interests alive. Now if we could only get a great Auburn Rugby team so we could watch them in the Penn 7's every year.

6 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

I was going to say welcome to the forum, and then saw you have been on here since 2016 so I missed the train on that.  Happy to have you on the forum, as well as your son on the team!  Welcome to the Family!

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Normally can't wait for Spring ball but this year the basketball team is doing so well I have something to keep my interests alive. Now if we could only get a great Auburn Rugby team so we could watch them in the Penn 7's every year.

It takes leather balls to play rugby. That's something many of our resident wimps lack.

6'2" 220 lbs. as a Junior in High School...

Dear lord they make these kids bigger and bigger every year.

He is quoted as saying Miami and Bama are his two favorite teams though Miami hasn't offered yet. So -1* for taste in teams. Miami fans are quite similar to the Turds at times...More like Georgia I suppose, it's always "their year"

hope we land this young man. I would think with the other guys from the same school we signed will help reel this young man into the best school by far!  I am orange and blue through and through. Come to the school where you will be great and commit tomorrow and don't be late!

I have an elephant cut out attached to a post out back that Lord Maxwell enjoys peeing on everyday now!

14 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

hope we land this young man. I would think with the other guys from the same school we signed will help reel this young man into the best school by far!  I am orange and blue through and through. Come to the school where you will be great and commit tomorrow and don't be late!

I have an elephant cut out attached to a post out back that Lord Maxwell enjoys peeing on everyday now!

I hope that’s your dogs name!lol

23 hours ago, toddc said:

I hope that’s your dogs name!lol

that is my darling little Welsh Corgi! He hates anything to do with the turds!

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, abw0004 said:

I was going to say welcome to the forum, and then saw you have been on here since 2016 so I missed the train on that.  Happy to have you on the forum, as well as your son on the team!  Welcome to the Family!

Thank you so much! #WarEagle

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, toddc said:

Momma Worm, God bless you for being on this forum! I can’t wait to see your son run the ball for AU! Most of all get a great education and do something great in this world. You’re a good mom from what I’ve seen from your posts, and in what I know about your son!

Thank you so much! #WarEagle

• 1 month later...

In-state LB clarifies Auburn’s standing among top schools

When Vonta Bentley spoke with SEC Country last month, his main message wasn’t great news for Auburn.

Bentley called Clemson his leader. That hasn’t changed. But what was unnerving to the Auburn side was how Bentley considered the Tigers to be far on the outside compared to Clemson and Alabama. Based on his comments, however, it seemed like the Auburn staff wasn’t making as much of a push for the Jackson-Olin (Ala.) linebacker as a few other prospects in the 2019 class.

That wasn’t Auburn’s intent, several sources have made clear.

Bentley is among the Tigers’ favorite linebackers in that class, and they made sure to correct the record in short order. After a Clemson visit earlier this month, Bentley drove through Auburn with a few of his teammates to drop off defensive tackle signee Coynis Miller who was set for a multi-day stay.

On that trip — his second this spring — Bentley noticed an increase level of attention and interest from the Tigers.

“I’d say most of the coaching staff are writing letters to me now after that little visit I took up there,” Bentley told SEC Country. “All the coaches, they be communicating with me. They’re always pumped up, excited, loud. I’ll say that. They’re always screaming. T-Will [linebackers coach Travis Williams] was all shouting, ‘Vonta’s here, Vonta’s here,’ when I got there. That was funny.”

It has caused a shift for Bentley.

Auburn is no longer on the outside looking in. He still refers to Clemson as his leader and admits other programs are going to have to show him something more to top Dabo Swinney and Co. But Auburn is in the conversation now with Bentley telling SEC Country that Auburn has moved into the No. 2 spot above Alabama (the Crimson Tide are expected to bring in a star-studded linebacker class and Bentley isn’t feeling as much love).

While Auburn hasn’t recruited him the hardest yet, the Tigers are likely to change that tune.

Williams already got that started on Bentley’s most recent visit.

“He says basically what Clemson says. He wants me, that I’m a top player. He sat me down to watch my film,” Bentley said. “Going over stuff, he was just being real with me. He told me things I needed to get better at. That’s what I like about him. He wasn’t just telling me what I was great at, but stuff I need to work on too. I really like that.”

The one thing that separates Clemson: his connection with Swinney.

Bentley said when he goes there he always spends time with Swinney in his office. Those conversations range from football to many non-football topics. He has started to receive similar treatment at Auburn with Gus Malzahn. Bentley visited earlier this spring with his mother, which gave him the first look into Malzahn and his recruiting approach.

“I went to his office and talked to him for a pretty good minute. I had went with my coach and sat in there just talking and chopping it up. I would say Clemson head coach and Auburn head coach are the ones talking to me the most,” Bentley said. “At Alabama, I’ll only talk to coach Saban after practice or something like that and say he needs some linebackers.”

Bentley’s process isn’t close to complete.

He wants to take his time with his commitment, perhaps looking toward an end-of-season decision. Bentley wouldn’t mind waiting until National Signing Day, but he mentioned the uncertainty of being able to wait that long because of numbers restrictions his top schools might have at linebacker. In other words, he wouldn’t want to wait so long his school of choice didn’t have an open scholarship for him.

Still, Bentley hopes to check out a few more schools, namely LSU, Tennessee and Ole Miss.

As he closes in on his decision, the relationship between Auburn and Jackson-Olin will be the key. TD Moultry and Miller have started that pipeline the last two recruiting classes. Bentley confirmed that can only help Auburn come decision time.

“I’d say as far as Auburn, it does help. We can catch up with the players that are down there. We can hear how Auburn really is and what they like about it. We’re in touch with TD and Coynis, so that’s going to help with other players from J-O,” Bentley said. “It’s always going to be an advantage when you can talk to one of the players who’s already down there. You can learn why they like it, which I can tell why they like it because those coaches are pumped up and have fun while still handling their business.”

Archived