Graduate transfers

TexasTiger

Here’s a website that lists all of those who have already declared their intentions to transfer. Ive looked at it, but I’m not sure there’s much to gather from it. We probably won’t know anything about our intentions on recruits/transfers/grad transfers until April-May when we have a little more clarity on the roster and the program as a whole. And we may not take a GT this season, possibly opting for transfers who have to sit a year. 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/Melvin Morgan

The only one I saw in that group was Wyatt Walker from Samford 6'9" 240 Center with some skills but as Junior would have to sit out a year so would not be any help. If we pick somebody up it needs to be GT C/PF type who can help next year.  A lot of that depends on whether Wiley or Purifoy or both come back next year. We pickup Samir Doughty as a 6'4" PG who just sat out the year and practiced with us all year.

If everybody who is on the team this year returns plus Samir assuming McLemore makes a full recovery we will be better than this year because of experience and one more solid player in Samir added to the rotation.  With Mclemore we had a solid 9 man rotation we were fresh in second half and wore teams out adding Samir and the way others have talked about him we will have a solid 10 man rotation with little drop off at any position. 

If we get Wiley we will have the big man we need when the 3's are not hitting but it will disrupt some things. McLemore gives us an outside threat pulling  the big's away from the paint making it easier for other players to drive and score.  If Wiley returns and can keep up with the rest of the team we could be scary good.

I’d say a second PF/C would be nice even if Wiley returns (60% IMO). The 2019 kid that could reclassify could be that guy.

If Mustapha leaves we probably have a big hole at SF and I'm not sure Malik is ready to step into that. He's perfect for the amount of minutes he's getting where his spark can really help us but when he's at his floor the damage is minimal. Unless we start getting creative with lineups where we go Harper, Brown, and Samir in the game all at the same time for big chunks of time, but I don't feel like Malik is ready to be a starting SF in the SEC. I always want size but losing Moose would be a hard void to fill IMO. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

If Mustapha leaves we probably have a big hole at SF and I'm not sure Malik is ready to step into that. He's perfect for the amount of minutes he's getting where his spark can really help us but when he's at his floor the damage is minimal. Unless we start getting creative with lineups where we go Harper, Brown, and Samir in the game all at the same time for big chunks of time, but I don't feel like Malik is ready to be a starting SF in the SEC. I always want size but losing Moose would be a hard void to fill IMO. 

Samir is a 6’4 PG. We could play him at the 3 but I don’t know if it would go over well...

Chuma can be the three or the 4 if we lose Herron with Dunbar being his backup at 3.  I don't think we will lose Herron he has been very good but not elite.  I just don't think with his height, shot and ball handling skills that he quite fits the NBA.  Good 3 point shooter but not great so probably not an NBA SG and a little small for NBA SF.  He has the potential to make an NBA team but I can't seem him being more than a 4th round pick at this time. 

Chuma actually could be the Super Star go to guy next year or the year after. He has shown flashes but lacks consistency at this time. I think he has a higher ceiling then Herron but has a long ways to go.

36 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Chuma can be the three or the 4 if we lose Herron with Dunbar being his backup at 3.  I don't think we will lose Herron he has been very good but not elite.  I just don't think with his height, shot and ball handling skills that he quite fits the NBA.  Good 3 point shooter but not great so probably not an NBA SG and a little small for NBA SF.  He has the potential to make an NBA team but I can't seem him being more than a 4th round pick at this time. 

Chuma actually could be the Super Star go to guy next year or the year after. He has shown flashes but lacks consistency at this time. I think he has a higher ceiling then Herron but has a long ways to go.

Gonna be tough for Heron since there are only two rounds. 

14 minutes ago, waaegl said:

Gonna be tough for Heron since there are only two rounds. 

You are correct. I just don't see Herron being picked in the upcoming NBA draft. Sometimes I forget NBA only has two rounds. That is why I think we will have whole team back next year.

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are correct. I just don't see Herron being picked in the upcoming NBA draft. Sometimes I forget NBA only has two rounds. That is why I think we will have whole team back next year.

Which would be awesome to watch...again

15 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Samir is a 6’4 PG. We could play him at the 3 but I don’t know if it would go over well...

I think he will play the 2 and 3 mostly next year and be an emergency PG if Harper or Mitchell go down or get into foul trouble. He's a slasher and a facilitator and a good defender. I don't think we will need him to play PG, and we will definitely find a spot for him in the rotation somewhere.

16 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I am not familiar with his game but I wouldn't mind having another playmaker on the floor in addition to Harper to balance with Brown's shooting. Though I'm ignorant on the matter my thought with a 3 guard lineup like this is Samir potentially being a shorter version of what we wanted TJ Dunans to consistently be -- a playmaker from the wing. This is of course in the event that Heron leaves, but I like the prospect of having another PG on the floor who can play off the ball (and 6'4 doesn't hurt), especially in our system. Does anyone know if Doughty has a nice shot from outside?

Also, I have no idea how I didn't think of Chuma playing the 3. He can play 3 and 4 very well and play some small ball 5 for us when the situation calls for it. 

I can't believe we have so many good players on our team!!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I am not familiar with his game but I wouldn't mind having another playmaker on the floor in addition to Harper to balance with Brown's shooting. Though I'm ignorant on the matter my thought with a 3 guard lineup like this is Samir potentially being a shorter version of what we wanted TJ Dunans to consistently be -- a playmaker from the wing. This is of course in the event that Heron leaves, but I like the prospect of having another PG on the floor who can play off the ball (and 6'4 doesn't hurt), especially in our system. Does anyone know if Doughty has a nice shot from outside?

Also, I have no idea how I didn't think of Chuma playing the 3. He can play 3 and 4 very well and play some small ball 5 for us when the situation calls for it. 

I can't believe we have so many good players on our team!!

When I think of the degree of improvement that we saw from the frosh of last year to this year, I cant help but get pumped about Chuma. He could really be a big time player.

49 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

When I think of the degree of improvement that we saw from the frosh of last year to this year, I cant help but get pumped about Chuma. He could really be a big time player.

Yes, Davion too! I know Chuma and Davion didn't get the minutes that our crop of freshman did last year (which was extremely key in their improvement this year IMO), but a year under their belts will help things slow things down even more for them IMO.

Both of our freshman from this year have sky high potential IMO. Even through Davion's struggles I really think he can be a star PG for us down the line. I know some were down on him this year as he seemed to hit his freshman wall, but Harper's growth makes me hopeful that Davion can be an All-SEC player before he's done at AU.

Most grad transfers aren't known til near the end or after the NCAA Tourney. ESPN will have a thorough list with a respectable breakdown at that point.

On 3/5/2018 at 3:45 PM, ClaytonAU said:

if Wiley returns (60% IMO).

With due respect any % on whether Wiley stays or goes is a total random guess right now. Whether he stays or goes nearly solely depends on how he does at the NBA combine in 2 months. If he does well he  gone, so-so would be up in the air, not good then he would return. It all depends if he is projected in the 1st round after that camp.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With due respect any % on whether Wiley stays or goes is a total random guess right now. Whether he stays or goes nearly solely depends on how he does at the NBA combine in 2 months. If he does well he  gone, so-so would be up in the air, not good then he would return. It all depends if he is projected in the 1st round after that camp.

Maybe you have answered this....if so, pardon the repeat....but....if Wiley choses to come back, does he have to stay one year or two years?  

I was under the impression that players can leave after their freshman year or else have to stay until they are juniors.....and can't just leave at the end of any season they choose.  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe you have answered this....if so, pardon the repeat....but....if Wiley choses to come back, does he have to stay one year or two years?  

I was under the impression that players can leave after their freshman year or else have to stay until they are juniors.....and can't just leave at the end of any season they choose.  :dunno:

You are thinking of Baseball if I'm not mistaken.

1 minute ago, autkidd2823 said:

You are thinking of Baseball if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe that too but I notice the "one and done" players but can't recall seeing a player leave after his soph season from basketball ...but maybe it happens and I have not noticed.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I’ve never heard of that being a thing in CBB before 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

You have somehow mixed basketball & baseball. Basketball players can leave at any point after their freshmen year. For baseball they can go pro out of high school, then after juco if they go there, or if they are at a D1 school then after their Jr year or when they turn 21 whichever is 1st. There have been a number of Soph basketball players go pro after their Soph year.

On 3/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, Tiger said:

We should move Okeke into the SF role in my opinion if Mustapha jumps. It would give us some size and he's incredibly versatile.

Archived