Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, TigerTale said:

When I took Evolution and Systematics, I had Dr. Dolby. His first statement on the first day of class was that God had no place in that classroom and we should leave Him at the door. Guess that he and Dr. Folkerts had some different views! 

I have no problem with the baptisms at the athletic complex. Maybe the players asked to be baptized there? If they did, should they be told no?

When were you at AU?  I had a comparative anatomy professor who I thought was named Dr. Dobie who used to smoke in the classroom.  I was at AU from 1981-1986.

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ah. I see the term "war" used in discussions. 

Careful. Aye. 

and?

A quote from Gandhi that I agree with:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Truer words have never been spoken (I wonder what he would say about Muslims?).  But God gave us all free will and for any one of us to be Christ-like is an unattainable goal.  We all have our biases, ingrained views and perspectives.  I have them all (heck, most of you want to condemn me to Hell because I think our coaching staff is on many levels (the O staff primarily) mediocre starting at the HC level) so that will never change.  I think God is looking down from the Heavens and sometimes thinking....I really messed this thing up.

wde

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think this topic has gone far afield from its original intent.  So unless @RunInRed has any objections and wishes to move this back, it's migrating over to All Things Considered.

Don't try to bury this.

wde

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Bury what?  

This thread and discussion by trying to put it on a board that no one reads much.

wd

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

This thread and discussion by trying to put it on a board that no one reads much.

wd

The conversation has long since drifted away from the original topic and into a debate on religion and atheism for the most part, so it doesn't really belong in the football forum anymore.

We gave it a tremendous amount more leeway than we would normally give a thread that became about a non-football subject like this already.  It was on that forum for six days and has gone 29 pages.  Lose the tinfoil hat.

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wd

Hey, we like our quiet little corner with our beer, picture and music thread.

The conversation has long since drifted away from the original topic and into a debate on religion and atheism for the most part, so it doesn't really belong in the football forum anymore.

We gave it a tremendous amount more leeway than we would normally give a non-football subject like this already.  It was on that forum for six days and has gone 29 pages.  Lose the tinfoil hat.

Look. I have no tinfoil hat until it comes to overzealous message board moderators (LOL).  If you don't think this conversation has helped this website immensely in a slow time of year, then........

wde

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Point of fact, All Things Considered is the 4th most active board on the entire forum after the Football, Recruiting and Politics boards.  It's well ahead of the Basketball forum in activity and over double the activity of the Baseball one.

Point of fact, All Things Considered is the 4th most active board on the entire forum after the Football, Recruiting and Politics boards.  It's well ahead of the Basketball forum in activity and over double the activity of the Baseball one.

LOL. Are you trying to impress me?

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Look. I have no tinfoil hat until it comes to overzealous message board moderators (LOL).  If you don't think this conversation has helped this website immensely in a slow time of year, then........

Not everyone comes here to see or participate in debates on politics and religion.  Even though the political forum is very active (3rd on the list after football and recruiting), many folks never even poke their nose in there for a reason.  They get plenty of this kind of stuff every time they flip on the TV.  So we try to keep the sports forums and the politics/religion stuff separate as much as possible.  I just felt that once it was clear the discussion was no longer really about the church/state stuff but about atheism/theism/Christianity in general, it made sense to move it.  No biggie.

10 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL. Are you trying to impress me?

wde

No, just pointing out that it wasn't exactly sent to Siberia.  ATC isn't really a quiet corner of the forums in the grand scheme of things.

On second thought, the political forum probably makes more sense.  It's in the regular politics forum though, so watch the insults and tone.  Debate respectfully.

No, just pointing out that it wasn't exactly sent to Siberia.  ATC isn't really a quiet corner of the forums in the grand scheme of things.

This website survives on contributor's  giving  their opinions.  Moving a "hot topic"  from the most popular message board to one that no one will read is foolish in my opinion.  Who made the decision to move this conversation  to a remote message board that no one reads?

wde

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's already moved.

That was a dumb move.  This website (and every website on the net) needs all of the internet traffic it can can get.   Maximize it.  

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

This website survives on contributor's  giving  their opinions.  Moving a "hot topic"  from the most popular message board to one that no one will read is foolish in my opinion.  Who made the decision to move this conversation  to a remote message board that no one reads?

wde

Well I reconsidered and moved it to the political forum which is more trafficked.

I made the call based on the fact that we try to avoid political/religion topics in the sports forums and the subject had long since drifted away from its original AU football connection. Not everyone wants to wade through that. It’s not what they come here for. But second, I don’t really have to justify the decisions that are made here to you. If you want to continue complaining, take it offline.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

That was a dumb move.  This website (and every website on the net) needs all of the internet traffic it can can get.   Maximize it.  

wde

Thank you for your concern. Your opinion is duly noted. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well I reconsidered and moved it to the political forum which is more trafficked.

I made the call based on the fact that we try to avoid political/religion topics in the sports forums and the subject had long since drifted away from its original AU football connection. Not everyone wants to wade through that. It’s not what they come here for. But second, I don’t really have to justify the decisions that are made here to you. If you want to continue complaining, take it offline.

But Red made it a religion topic on his own.  Is there a dichotomy between posters versus Mods?

wde

38 minutes ago, AUDub said:

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ssssshhhhh

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

On second thought, the political forum probably makes more sense.  It's in the regular politics forum though, so watch the insults and tone.  Debate respectfully.

OK by me, but

I'm barefoot.

ETA - and I will keep the beer and music, somehow.

Archived