Top 5 Pay = Top 5 Expectations?

RunInRed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Seems fair to me ... ?‍♂️

Tied for Top 3 SEC Pay = Tied for Top 3 SEC Expectations?

One might hope for better.

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Tied for Top 3 SEC Pay = Tied for Top 3 SEC Expectations?

One might hope for better.

He was top 3 SEC the last 2 years, too, and he finished top 2 both years. Expectations met.

In all seriousness, people have to get over the salary thing or take it up with Jimmy Sexton.

It’s all a big scam and we, the ticket buyers, the cable tv subscribers, are the ones footing the bill.  Just one man’s opinion but $7M/year for any coach, much less an inconsistent one, when most of us skremp to make ends meet, is beyond ridiculous.  /rant

37 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

It’s all a big scam and we, the ticket buyers, the cable tv subscribers, are the ones footing the bill.  Just one man’s opinion but $7M/year for any coach, much less an inconsistent one, when most of us skremp to make ends meet, is beyond ridiculous.  /rant

Very true.

As my Dad says... If only people would pay un-godly amounts of money to watch me work at my desk....

33 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Scam.?   ....nah.....just a reflection of people's values perhaps.    Thus we are not paying our basketball coach enough.....and paying our football coach too much ....should have paid whatever it took to get David Marsh to come back and coach a non-revenue sport that is supported by the football program.   There is not much about the financial side of college athletics that makes much sense when compared to the outside world. 

For example, Michigan hired Jim Harbaugh for $7.8M essentially for one purpose....to beat Ohio State.....and he's yet to do it.   Now that he's flown down to Oxford, MS and zipped out with a former Ole Miss QB he might make it this year however. 

Just realize you’re an enabler to all this.  Don’t bitch when tickets, tuition, your cable bill, that AU emblazoned polo, all continue to creep up while the chasm between the have and have nots continues to widen.

RIR, No coach, player or entertainer is worth what they are being paid.   I’m guilty as well as a lot of people, but until we all stop going and cancel cable, prices will continue to increase 

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Just realize you’re an enabler to all this.  Don’t bitch when tickets, tuition,  your cable bill, that AU emblazoned polo, all continue to creep up while the chasm between the have and have nots continues to widen.

Preachin' to the choir.

It's like my argument against these morons who want to cut into actual gameplay in order to shorten the games because they've "gotten too long".  No, the game hasn't changed in 100 years... The TV commercials sure have though. 

But nnnoooooooo... don't you dare reel in the runaway commercials cuz, $$$$$$$$$$$, sorry, I can't hear you!!

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Just realize you’re an enabler to all this.  Don’t bitch when tickets, tuition, your cable bill, that AU emblazoned polo, all continue to creep up while the chasm between the have and have nots continues to widen.

You mean the athlete "haves" who have every luxury that Athletic Departments and coaches can dream up for them ?.   But you are basically right...so vote with your feet or pocketbook.....that is what most of us do.

It is absolutely fair to expect this . That is why I laugh at all the people who are so loyal to Gus. He employed Sexton to do these certain kind of things lol. He is out for himself , which is fine . That is the way of the world , but at the same token don’t expect me to feel bad about the criticism you get and should receive. Lofty responsibility, lofty pay check, lofty expectations. It’s a dirty game behind the scenes and no I don’t think any individual is above it, I don’t care if they have the orange and blue on. That is why I also laugh when people act like we are above recruiting tactics as well when our HC is associated with the same individual who represent the counterparts that some of our fans despise. These guys will do anything and everything for job security. The only difference is the colors who they are affiliated with.

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

The only 3 who are worth that amount of money right now is Saban Urbs....... big gap then Dabo. Really the first 2 but I wanted to show some respect to dabo for the run he has been on since 2011. With those 3 you know year in year out it is going to be at least a 10 win season but probaly more with at least a conference title more often than not and sometimes more.

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The only 3 who are worth that amount of money right now is Saban Urbs....... big gap then Dabo. Really the first 2 but I wanted to show some respect to dabo for the run he has been on since 2011. With those 3 you know year in year out it is going to be at least a 10 win season but probaly more with at least a conference title more often than not and sometimes more.

looks like the floor for Kirby too based on his typical schedule and how great his (legally-gained) talent is shaping up to be. Georgia is just a powerhouse of an opportunity with the rising recruiting hot bed that is the state and how easy the east should be for the next few seasons

40 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

looks like the floor for Kirby too based on his typical schedule and how great his (legally-gained) talent is shaping up to be. Georgia is just a powerhouse of an opportunity with the rising recruiting hot bed that is the state and how easy the east should be for the next few seasons

well said. Georgia has always recruited really well. Unfortunately I think kirby is about to take that to another level and have them recruiting great year in year out. Last year was not a fluke on the trail for georgia. I absolutely detest one of our own is the best recruiter over there besides kirby himself.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

It is absolutely fair to expect this . That is why I laugh at all the people who are so loyal to Gus. He employed Sexton to do these certain kind of things lol. He is out for himself , which is fine . That is the way of the world , but at the same token don’t expect me to feel bad about the criticism you get and should receive. Lofty responsibility, lofty pay check, lofty expectations. It’s a dirty game behind the scenes and no I don’t think any individual is above it, I don’t care if they have the orange and blue on. That is why I also laugh when people act like we are above recruiting tactics as well when our HC is associated with the same individual who represent the counterparts that some of our fans despise. These guys will do anything and everything for job security. The only difference is the colors who they are affiliated with.

:bow:

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

well said. Georgia has always recruited really well. Unfortunately I think kirby is about to take that to another level and have them recruiting great year in year out. Last year was not a fluke on the trail for georgia. I absolutely detest one of our own is the best recruiter over there besides kirby himself.

Kirby knows how to mentally and physically develop the talent they will pull in.  He trained under one of the best in the business, he knows how to manage a roster and he knows what it takes to put an SEC caliber specimen on the field.  He pulled the best recruiting class in UGA history in'18, but his finest work was recruiting his existing players to stay for their senior year - that was a coup and a giant piece of the puzzle needed to get them to the CFP/NC game. 

I've see rival fans calling him a fluke & last season was a flash in the pan with Richt's players, I see what's coming down the track and it ain't pretty.

14 hours ago, RunInRed said:

The reality is that we, the people, have little to no control over it. If you want to blame anyone, blame the school across the state. Once they decided that it was worth opening up the coffers to win a stupid game, the agents (one in particular) realized the flood gates were open and it was all over. There's no real way to put the genie back in the bottle now. Hell, the government is now taxing these ridiculous salaries and the schools aren't even flinching.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The reality is that we, the people, have little to no control over it. If you want to blame anyone, blame the school across the state. Once they decided that it was worth opening up the coffers to win a stupid game, the agents (one in particular) realized the flood gates were open and it was all over. There's no real way to put the genie back in the bottle now. Hell, the government is now taxing these ridiculous salaries and the schools aren't even flinching.

Job 5:7

Just like Doctors, lawyers, engineers, and any other job, Coaches get paid the going rates. To be upset about them making money for a job that is a 18+ hour a day, 7 day a week job is ridiculous. If it is so concerning, stop supporting their sport.

As far as expectations go, they should be high. He coaches in the best division of the best conference and has the toughest schedule in that division. That said, to think he will win every game against our toughest opponents is ridiculous.  To me he should beat the lower tierd schools and split against LSU, UGA, UA...and eventually TAMU. That is potentially 4 losses a year.

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

When do we not have top 5 expectations?  Maybe after a 3 win season?

You can’t have top 5 expectations but also want to come into the season as under dogs. There are a lot of Auburn people who would rather be under the radar, instead of king of the hill. That is an issue. Also we all have learn to essentially compromise. That is why we are okay with just splitting with our rivals . UGA, LSU, Bama do not want to settle for splits. Trust me I fall into this category as well. I mean look at the excuses after the UCF game. 

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

You can’t have top 5 expectations but also want to come into the season as under dogs. There are a lot of Auburn people who would rather be under the radar, instead of king of the hill. That is an issue. Also we all have learn to essentially compromise. That is why we are okay with just splitting with our rivals . UGA, LSU, Bama do not want to settle for splits. Trust me I fall into this category as well. I mean look at the excuses after the UCF game. 

While I would love to win each against our biggest rivals, I think expecting it is unreasonable due to the level of competition.  My expectations are more in line with have a good game plan, adjust when necessary, and have each player ready to battle.  If we have that and lose, then I'm okay with that. That's the nature of sports.  If we go in with an absurd game plan and never adjust, then that is where I have a problem.

I'm not okay with splitting, I want to win them all. However, experience dictates that we won't. Expectations should be reasonable.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just like Doctors, lawyers, engineers, and any other job, Coaches get paid the going rates. To be upset about them making money for a job that is a 18+ hour a day, 7 day a week job is ridiculous. If it is so concerning, stop supporting their sport.

As far as expectations go, they should be high. He coaches in the best division of the best conference and has the toughest schedule in that division. That said, to think he will win every game against our toughest opponents is ridiculous.  To me he should beat the lower tierd schools and split against LSU, UGA, UA...and eventually TAMU. That is potentially 4 losses a year.

can we please win a actually decent bowl game for a change? 1 in 5 years in pathetic. Especially considering it was the frickin Bham bowl. And we were playing against a school without their stud coach. That honestly is arguably my biggest gripe about gus. We have looked down right awful in the bowl losses most of the time. I love capping off a season with a bowl win. With gus that looks like a futile task.

Archived