Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Perhaps a NOLA trip is in order. (...Loof says every time Fuge talks about anything NOLA.)

Sigh. Might be next year before we can get back down there.

Meeting some friends at a cabin in Sylva, NC this weekend. I think I'm going to wait to do my beer shopping until I get up there. 

Yeah man, I had a buddy text me from down there a few weeks ago. What a bastage.

Sylva? Dude, get your hands on anything from DSSOLVR.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah man, I had a buddy text me from down there a few weeks ago. What a bastage.

Sylva? Dude, get your hands on anything from DSSOLVR.

Bastage! Farging icehole!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look for that for keeping at the cabin and bringing home. Pretty sure we're going to have lunch/dinner at a couple locals, too. Loooooove going to breweries in WNC and sitting outside and letting the kids run around. I hope the weather abides for this trip.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bastage! Farging icehole!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look for that for keeping at the cabin and bringing home. Pretty sure we're going to have lunch/dinner at a couple locals, too. Loooooove going to breweries in WNC and sitting outside and letting the kids run around. I hope the weather abides for this trip.

Man, I’m SOOOOPER jealous. If there was anywhere I would move, West or Asheville would be #1 on my list. I really hope the weather is to your liking!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Man, I’m SOOOOPER jealous. If there was anywhere I would move, West or Asheville would be #1 on my list. I really hope the weather is to your liking!

We'd probably move there, too, if we could. One of those places that just feels right existing in. Mountains, waterfalls, beer. Sign me up. Ugh. I'm already mad about leaving there Sunday!

• Love 1

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Meeting some friends at a cabin in Sylva, NC this weekend. I think I'm going to wait to do my beer shopping until I get up there. 

Man, I love it up there. Took the fam up to that area this past Memorial Day- fished the East Fork of the French Broad (caught three different species of trout), did some good hiking, enjoyed the beauty. Lots of good beer produced up there- I like a lot of HiWire stuff I have to admit, it’s about all I can get from that area over here. Safe travels and enjoy!

• Love 1

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We'd probably move there, too, if we could. One of those places that just feels right existing in. Mountains, waterfalls, beer. Sign me up. Ugh. I'm already mad about leaving there Sunday!

Dammit. I meant west of Asheville….but West wouldn’t be bad either.

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dammit. I meant west of Asheville….but West wouldn’t be bad either.

I was tracking. We're pushing our 7 yr old to go to App State or WNC lol

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was tracking. We're pushing our 7 yr old to go to App State or WNC lol

I can HIGHLY recommend Bryson City Outdoors and their badass beer selection. Their home shop in Bryson City has a fantastic outdoor patio with food trucks all the time. Great little tap room too.

• Thanks 1

Went to Lazy Hiker, Nantahala and Innovation in Sylva and Dillsboro this weekend. Very typical WNC tap lists- a couple IPAs, a stout, a porter, a wheat or a brown or something, an imperial or double something, MAYBE a sour, and a couple guest cider taps... I love it. Simple and focused. The food menus were the same way. Lazy Hiker is a small chain, I guess. Very cool family place with a game room upstairs. Nantahala was my favorite spot- great live bluegrass, a back patio that jutted out over the little river there, fantastic IPAs. Innovation was a cool spot but the beer and the vibe weren't quite up to par with the others IMO. Also could've been the different vibe with our group that night, though (mainly my kid that missed his nap was being a butthole). And Dillsboro is another neat little WNC village adjacent to Sylva with a nice little cluster of retail and restaurants situated on the river. 

Each time we go up there, that feeling sticks with me a little longer. We're legit having the "sell the house and downsize and buy an investment/vacation property up there" conversation. Probably won't happen but that's the vibe. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Went to Lazy Hiker, Nantahala and Innovation in Sylva and Dillsboro this weekend. Very typical WNC tap lists- a couple IPAs, a stout, a porter, a wheat or a brown or something, an imperial or double something, MAYBE a sour, and a couple guest cider taps... I love it. Simple and focused. The food menus were the same way. Lazy Hiker is a small chain, I guess. Very cool family place with a game room upstairs. Nantahala was my favorite spot- great live bluegrass, a back patio that jutted out over the little river there, fantastic IPAs. Innovation was a cool spot but the beer and the vibe weren't quite up to par with the others IMO. Also could've been the different vibe with our group that night, though (mainly my kid that missed his nap was being a butthole). And Dillsboro is another neat little WNC village adjacent to Sylva with a nice little cluster of retail and restaurants situated on the river. 

Each time we go up there, that feeling sticks with me a little longer. We're legit having the "sell the house and downsize and buy an investment/vacation property up there" conversation. Probably won't happen but that's the vibe. 

This description sounds like almost every small town in WNC. I love it! 
Yeah, Nantahala brewing also has a location in Bryson City. Easily one of the best spots there with great beer to boot. 
Make sure you get a property with a nice guest room….😃

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This description sounds like almost every small town in WNC. I love it! 

Exactly what I texted some buddies. "Sylva?" "Very typical WNC." 

Like we talked about before, man. Just feels right being there. The lack of diversity gives me pause as a parent, and those places can feel a little landlocked. But damn. I'm just not sure how often I'd really need to leave. Especially when that area offers the best of every season. Like, I just went there in gross ass grey ass February and still want to leave my little island paradise to go back. 

Make sure you get a property with a nice guest room….😃

*updates spreadsheet*

• Love 1

Had this one last night (from Westbrook, doesn’t show in photo). Seems like more of a warm weather pour but tasty nonetheless

4D335A93-1B1F-4522-8B4B-B5B489F2D514.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Also pretty tasty, although I liked the TikiTime better. Maybe I should have been listening to REM while drinking🤔:

573033CB-F761-4491-810B-8716099AB14A.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Fresh GITM for lunch.

00A89619-D34E-4D67-9D0C-CE2EAB4170A5.jpeg

That looks so freaking delicious. Just walked a couple miles in 75 degree weather on my lunch break and that beer would hit so perfect right now. Happy Friday, ya bastages. 

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That looks so freaking delicious. Just walked a couple miles in 75 degree weather on my lunch break and that beer would hit so perfect right now. Happy Friday, ya bastages. 

You know the days when it just hits a little different/better? Yeah, that was today. 

• Love 2

14 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You know the days when it just hits a little different/better? Yeah, that was today. 

If it wasn't me, at least it was you.

devo nod | GIF | PrimoGIF

• Love 1