Is there a chance the OL is actually better than last year?

gr82b4au

I know most AU fans like myself list it as a concern going into the season and as far as experience goes it looks troublesome on paper. 

But my hope is that we actually are better this season than last season. Here is what I am thinking:

1) We have a better OL coach. It starts there. He may struggle at recruiting but he can coach them up. 

2) Horton was hurt last year. He is back.

3) Some of the "experienced players" last year did not play well. I am not going to get into name calling but there was a player or 2 no longer with us that simply got beat on numerous occasions. 

4) Tega is raw, but he played very well in spots last year. At least he has played the position against top opponents. 

5) Supposedly JD looks good in practice. Of course we have not seen him in a game yet the RT spot may actually be better this year than last year.

I am concerned about the center and Kim but maybe he surprises us. Again - I am not saying we will have the best OL in the country or even the SEC, but maybe we can be better than last year. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this could be a good line this year and a great line next.  I’m looking at left tackle with Ole Grimey back.  Robinson and Coleman excelled at that spot under his coaching.  The right side of the line always seems to be where trouble lies but this year looks solid and with good depth going forward.  Nothing can be worse than that Clemson game last year.  

Personally, I believe Grimes is a difference maker.  OL is about toughness and attitude because, face it, DL & DE are bringin' it.  Hand made them soft.... Grimes will pay dividends.

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

1) We have a better OL coach.

11 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

3) Some the "experienced players" last year did not play well.

Exactly. In all of our concern about this year's OL, we have to remember that last year's wasn't great. Especially to start the season.

We are taking a big hit on experience at LT, C and RG, but we are gaining a lot more athletic ability at LT, we are enhancing our experience at LG, we're replacing our great RG with an at-least-pretty good one and we're probably upgrading by a decent margin at RT. And as you said and the players have essentially said to a man, they're getting coaching like they never did under the previous guy. If there is a gap, it should be significantly narrowed by talent and improved technique. 

No sugar coating the situation at center. But facts are that we're replacing essentially a juco transfer one year starter with a 4* guy who is in his 3rd year on campus and who was recruited by our current OL coach.

We aren't falling off a cliff because we weren't on a cliff to begin with. We could be better this year.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Nothing can be worse than that Clemson game last year.  

UCF was worse. At least Clemson had some dudes on that DL and was early in the season. No excuse to not show up in the bowl game. That was embarrassing.

3 hours ago, WDEKC said:

UCF was worse. At least Clemson had some dudes on that DL and was early in the season. No excuse to not show up in the bowl game. That was embarrassing.

UCF's defense and that #18 Griffin (one handed) were brutal. Oline looked like :puke: 

I guess it is safe to assume that everyone who is focused on how bad last year's O-line was thinks that this year's O-line will be better. Outstanding!

I think this OL has the potential to be a very good one and one that size-wise can hold their own with SEC D-lines. Of course there will be some growing pains but not to the extent that will have us in the 4-6 range of game losses.

Keep in mind, too, that the 5 that start against UW likely won’t be the 5 that face UGA and UAT. Injuries, poor play and Nick Brahms getting healthy will make a difference as the year goes on. 

Barring a rash of injuries we'll definitely be better along the OL this season. JB has been putting in work with Tega's fundamentals, I like Harrell and Horton, Driscoll is going to be a drastic improvement over James, and we'll have a serviceable center.

No more Coach Herbal Hessence.:byebye:

We could be better if we don't have injuries. I'm worried about depth and who would be the back ups. There was some talk that the Irvin kid might come in and be the center but he looks to be way down the depth chart. So I'm hoping Kim is doing good. If JB can get Ashley and Trox ready that will help with the depth concerns. What seems to be the starting 5 can be a solid group and may become a real good group before the season is over, the biggest ? is center, as many have stated. At the very least I hope they look like they know who they're supposed to be blocking, which was not always the case when Hand was the coach.

Just looking back at the 2017 stats and notice that AU was either 3rd or 4th in all of major team offensive stats... with leading rusher and second leading passer...…

So  wondering how that could be if the OL was as bad as so  many are saying?  

Tough comparison since of course we all saw the '17 OL but haven't seen what this group will do yet. IMHO there is not as much of a dropoff this season between OL starters & backups as '17 but our starters last season were generally more polished. I have a suspicion that if this OL can weather September, Grimes will have it clicking by Miss State. 

15 hours ago, Grumps said:

I guess it is safe to assume that everyone who is focused on how bad last year's O-line was thinks that this year's O-line will be better. Outstanding!

Well... yes. Exactly. 

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just looking back at the 2017 stats and notice that AU was either 3rd or 4th in all of major team offensive stats... with leading rusher and second leading passer...…

So  wondering how that could be if the OL was as bad as so  many are saying?  

Kerryon Johnson, Jarrett Stidham and Ryan Davis.

Amazing that they did that despite surrendering 11 sacks to Clemson, huh? 

We accounted for almost 25% of Clemson's team sack totals last year. 

WE ONLY PLAYED THEM ONCE

I think we will play tougher and angrier than last year, which is a reflection of the position coach personality IMO. And I think we will be more sound in our fundamentals. So, those two runs make me think we will be improvedas a unit. I’m hoping we simplify some things with our pass protections to make sure we’re doing the basics right. 

Archived