Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Allan Greene better be giving Bill Clark a really hard look. He has UAB at 7-1 just two years after the program was basically shutdown. I have no idea what kind of fit he would be at Auburn. I have no idea how he would do recruiting in the SEC. But what he is doing at UAB is truly incredible! The guy is a winner.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Mike Leach has Wazzu at 7-1 baby!!!!! Big win on the road vs a ranked Stanford team. Remember he wanted the job in 08 when tubs got the boot? It would be awesome it would come full circle 10 years later and us hire a crazy but fun out of the box hire in Leach.

What mike leach is doing is tremendous :  Btw, I got bored and thought I would link 247 total team composite talent level

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Pac-12

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=SEC

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-12

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=ACC

Look where Purdue and Washington state rank.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Genuinely suprised Florida is ahead of us. I THOUGHT Swamp Donkey did not recruit well at all. I swear being meh at his classes each year he was there. Honestly embarrassed they have more talent than us as a pride thing lol. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Leach has Wazzu at 7-1 with the next to last least talented team in that conference. HELL YAH PIRATE!!! AND THANK YOU ABOUT PURDUE!!! They are behind FRICKIN RUTGERS and the worst team on paper in the Big Ten. That is why context is needed when Brohm Has them at 4-4 and was 7-6 last year. That is a huge freaking deal at a perennial cellar dweller in Purdue. GOOD STUFF!! LOVE IT!!

In order to be successful in the SEC, the HC as well as the majority of his assistants must be top notch recruiters.   That’s a big question I don’t know the answer to for a guy like Campbell or Brohm, (2 guys that would be very high on my interview list) as well as any NFL guy who has never coached in College like McDaniels (another guy who would be high on my interview list).  

Side note:   We should NEVER have our minds made up who were going to hire before we start the interview process.  Make a moderate list of candidates and interview them all with the hiring committee, hopefully filled with people who know what to look for (all the tangibles, the right fit for the program, as well as the “it” factor), and then make your 1,2,3 list of top candidates and pursue them in that order.   I have been amazed over the years how often this is done backwards! (Not just at AU either)

Call me old fashion but Leach isn’t a viable candidate. We have to be able to run the ball in tbe SEC. His offensive mind is brilliant when it comes to the passing game, but come on now. If we could run the ball, we’d be undefeated right now.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Call me old fashion but Leach isn’t a viable candidate. We have to be able to run the ball in tbe SEC. His offensive mind is brilliant when it comes to the passing game, but come on now. If we could run the ball, we’d be undefeated right now.

I agree.

Love Leach.  But not for Auburn (nor any SEC team).

Think Hal Mumme.  It was a fun ride for Kentucky for a short while but it netted them nothing really substantial.

19 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Yeah tough to watch. I think they had like 100 yard of offense at half. AU fans would run him out of the stadium for that. One can only imagine the negative response from this forum. Except for a couple pass plays over the middle to the tight end, the play calls were bad and unimaginative. They had like 60 yards rushing for the entire game!  It was bad . Oh well. 

I saw snippets and I was thinking the same thing...he was nearly annoited the next AU head coach after his OSU upset. 

On 10/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, AU80cruiser said:

I've had my fantasies of our next coach being anybody from Bob Stoops to Mike Campbell to Venables to Aranda or even Bill Clark and this is another one of those fantasies. While any of these coaches may be a good choice, I think we need to go a different direction and get an NFL coach. Someone that can sell his firsthand knowledge of the NFL to recruits and would give Auburn a leg up on the most recent hires of LSU, Tenn, Florida, and Georgia. They all hired college coaches with no NFL experience that I'm aware of and this could be an advantage for Auburn (think negative recruiting). We should also hire a professional talent evaluator and then get experienced coaches that our experienced head coach chooses. Id like to keep Garner, Porter, T Will and Steele if possible.

Im not an NFL fan anymore so my knowledge of any coaching successes and failures is lacking. Is their anyone in those ranks that would consider being a college head coach? Bill O'Brien? Maybe a Joe Whitt jr? 

Im sure this hair brained idea is full of holes but I'd like to gauge the boards thoughts on going this route and fine tuning this into something possible.

I think Jason Garrett is on pretty thin ice with the Cowboys depending on how their season goes.  I say we make an offer and pay back Jerry Jones for our $49 million dollar man.  Either get Garrett or make Jerry way overpay to keep him.  Watch him on that TV show they did - can't remember if it was hard knocks or the Amazon Prime one.  I had a lot more respect for Garrett after watching it.  And he cusses, which I think should be a hard requirement for our next coach.

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I think Jason Garrett is on pretty thin ice with the Cowboys depending on how their season goes.  I say we make an offer and pay back Jerry Jones for our $49 million dollar man.  Either get Garrett or make Jerry way overpay to keep him.  Watch him on that TV show they did - can't remember if it was hard knocks or the Amazon Prime one.  I had a lot more respect for Garrett after watching it.  And he cusses, which I think should be a hard requirement for our next coach.

I kinda felt the same about Bruce Arians when the Cardinals season was covered. I'd love to have Bruce but I'm pretty sure he's done with football.

Just now, AU80cruiser said:

I kinda felt the same about Bruce Arians when the Cardinals season was covered. I'd love to have Bruce but I'm pretty sure he's done with football.

Yeah I think that was Arians last hurrah.  Garrett is still young though, and I'm sure he's learned a ton of stuff being with the Cowboys and you know he hasn't been in full control.  Only question would be can he recruit and does he want to coach college.  I got no idea.  He should be able to navigate the GOBN and the PTB after hanging with Jerry for so long though.

We know "the league" sells to recruits so we need a coach that can sell "the league" to the recruits because of his first hand knowledge of what it takes. Offensive scheme be damned....just get their butts here and the wins will come.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah I think that was Arians last hurrah.  Garrett is still young though, and I'm sure he's learned a ton of stuff being with the Cowboys and you know he hasn't been in full control.  Only question would be can he recruit and does he want to coach college.  I got no idea.  He should be able to navigate the GOBN and the PTB after hanging with Jerry for so long though.

I bet he can recruit as well as Gus at the very least.

2 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I bet he can recruit as well as Gus at the very least.

The only thing I remember about Arians when it came to the college level is him being the OC of bama when Freddie Kitchens delivered us the Iron Bowl on a silver platter when Jarret Holmes kicked the game winning field goal in D Craigs last year at AU! lol

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Garrett has never won anything and is only known for somehow surviving in his position, probably by being Jerry's yes man. This would not be a good move. 

If you want NFL guys I would go for Pete Carroll before anyone else. The run in Seattle is coming to an end, and he obviously knows how to dominate college ball. Todd Monken also has college experience and NFL experience.

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If you want NFL guys I would go for Pete Carroll before anyone else. The run in Seattle is coming to an end, and he obviously knows how to dominate college ball. Todd Monken also has college experience and NFL experience.

Pete Carroll left USC a mess with sanctions. No team will touch him 

35 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Garrett has never won anything and is only known for somehow surviving in his position, probably by being Jerry's yes man. This would not be a good move. 

On the surface, I'd agree with you.  But, after seeing the inner workings on Amazon Prime TV show, All or Nothing . I think he might be a better coach than I gave him credit for being.  And he's survived Jerry and done better than any coach since Jimmy and Switzer in Jerry's time as owner.  And he might be available, so if you're looking for the NFL tie in I think he'd be a possibility.  There may be better options, but I cringe at taking a guy like Venables or Aranda because although they are great at what they do, what they do isn't head coaching.  It's gonna be a crap shoot and Greene better be doing his homework until late at night, every night until we make a move.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Pete Carroll left USC a mess with sanctions. No team will touch him 

Someone will but I agree we shouldn't. Chip Kelly, although not nearly as bad in terms of NCAA mess, had no problem hopping right back in the saddle. Same for us and Bruce Pearl. If you are good, and the scandal isn't abuse related, there will always be someone who calls. I could see him winding up at like Pitt or North Carolina or Georgia Tech where he has subpar resources and a school desperate to win.

Most likely he just gets another NFL head coaching gig. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The only thing I remember about Arians when it came to the college level is him being the OC of bama when Freddie Kitchens delivered us the Iron Bowl on a silver platter when Jarret Holmes kicked the game winning field goal in D Craigs last year at AU! lol

I was at that game. We were heavily favored and should’ve won by a lot. Kitchens had actually come in and sparked bama to that lead while our offense struggled. Arians called that screen pass and the rest is history. I didn’t think it was a bad call, it was aggressive and they were trying to end it right there. Martavious Houston had other ideas though!

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I was at that game. We were heavily favored and should’ve won by a lot. Kitchens had actually come in and sparked bama to that lead while our offense struggled. Arians called that screen pass and the rest is history. I didn’t think it was a bad call, it was aggressive and they were trying to end it right there. Martavious Houston had other ideas though!

WAR DAMN!!! You are absolutely right. It reminded me of the 04 Iron Bowl except WAAAAAY more uncomfortable for us. WE HAVE A "GIFT" for not blowing out UAT even when we should............... Arians path to NFL Head coach was a very long one and I would say unconventional. If it did not take so long for him to be a NFL Head Coach he could of IMO been one of the better ones of our generation. He squeezed everything he could out of a washed up and old Carson Palmer.

As others have mentioned Bill Clark really needs to be considered when the actual time comes. Doing a stellar job at UAB for the second time, against bigger odds than the first time.  Not as expensive as the brand names either so there's that too. In the spirit of Halloween UAB is kind of like Michael Myers, Bama tried to kill it but it came back stronger than before. 

Major Applewhite

Only team in college football scoring 40 points every game this year.

Born in Louisiana

Solid quarterback at Texas where he set 8 records for them (3 of which still stand).

Coaching stops at Texas, Syracuse, Rice, Alabama, and now Houston. So his coaching tree includes Mack Brown, Todd Graham, Nick Saban, and Tom Herman

Not a long career as a head coach but he could be another good cheap option.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Major Applewhite

Only team in college football scoring 40 points every game this year.

Born in Louisiana

Solid quarterback at Texas where he set 8 records for them (3 of which still stand).

Coaching stops at Texas, Syracuse, Rice, Alabama, and now Houston.

Not a long career as a head coach but he could be another good cheap option.

I rather have Baby Briles than him. Offense was rather pedestrian last season without Briles. Then Kendall comes in and they are lighting the world on fire. Major Applewhite is meh but Kendall Briles? WOOOOOOO! HE HAS THE SECRET SAUCE!

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I rather have Baby Briles than him. Offense was rather pedestrian last season without Briles. Then Kendall comes in and they are lighting the world on fire. Major Applewhite is meh but Kendall Briles? WOOOOOOO! HE HAS THE SECRET SAUCE!

I agree! I just want someone who can develop a damn quarterback lol.

Archived