The Turds Bring in DJ Durkin

Zeek

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/12/former-maryland-coach-dj-durkin-helping-behind-the-scenes-at-alabama.html

By Matt Zenitz | mzenitz@al.com mzenitz@al.com
Former Maryland head coach D.J. Durkin, fired in October after a lengthy investigation into the death of one of his players, has resurfaced at Alabama.

In his first foray back into football since his October firing, Durkin has been helping Alabama this past week in a consultant-like capacity, sources told AL.com. It’s unclear at this point if Durkin could have a long-term role on Nick Saban’s Alabama staff though, according to sources.

Durkin had been off the radar since Halloween, when Maryland fired him following that lengthy investigation after the death of Jordan McNair during an offseason workout and reports of a toxic culture within the football program. ESPN, citing interviews with current and former Maryland players, reported there was a culture of “bullying, verbal abuse and humiliation directed at players” during the Durkin era.

Maryland put Durkin on administrative leave on Aug. 11, one day after ESPN’s toxic culture story was published, and formed a committee to investigate the allegations. The committee determined it wasn’t a “toxic” culture but detailed multiple concerning allegations including coaches showing disturbing videos of serial killers and animals eating each other during team meals. Durkin was reinstated as head coach on Oct. 30 only for the school to reverse course and fire him a day later after significant national backlash.

"The chair of the Board of Regents has publicly acknowledged that I had previously raised serious concerns about Coach Durkin's return,” Maryland president Wallace Loh said at the time. “This is not at all a reflection of my opinion of Coach Durkin as a person. However, a departure is in the best interest of the University, and this afternoon Coach Durkin was informed that the University will part ways. This is a difficult decision, but it is the right one for our entire University.”

The school had previously determined through an independent investigation that Maryland’s athletic training staff failed to properly treat the heatstroke symptoms of McNair, who later died on June 13.

The 40-year old Durkin had been at Maryland since 2016, posting a 10-15 record during his first two seasons as the team’s head coach. Before that, Durkin was a defensive coordinator at Michigan under Jim Harbaugh (2015) and at Florida under Will Muschamp (2013-14).

Matt Zenitz is an Alabama and Auburn reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mzenitz.

I don't know if this is the smartest move but the Turds are made of Teflon.

Consulting?  Analyzing? Critiquing? 

The last few years Saban's shadow staff has been more potent & experienced than most teams active coaching staff. 🙄

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Consulting?  Analyzing? Critiquing? 

The last few years Saban's shadow staff has been more potent & experienced than most teams active coaching staff. 🙄

Yep, and nothing is off limits for him.  

You imagine if AU hired that guy?  Heck, the idea of Gus wanting Freeze was giving people (in & out of the AU sphere) the heebie-jeebies.

Certainly hope he didn't hire for S&C...

This is a pretty bad look.....Saban can for sure get away with it and get minimal blowback but still. I don't know how at fault Durkin was for the kid passing away but that was a very bad incident. Pretty sure i remember it being in the hours range for how long it took them to get help after he collapsed at practice. Thats pretty bad as far as coaches being concerned about the well being of their players. Imagine the message this sends to the kids family. Really quick rehire after a player lost his life in a VERY preventable incident

He Should be a match in character with the munchkin. 

On 12/13/2018 at 4:26 PM, AUsince72 said:

Yep, and nothing is off limits for him.  

You imagine if AU hired that guy?

Saban isn’t a coach that uses emotions. He’s soulless. I understand why he does things that he does. He doesn’t care about the pushback and emotional responses that his hirings may cause. He doesn’t even think to it. It’s a good thing and a bad thing. He sees Jonathon Taylor, the football player, and not the consequences of bringing him on board...This current gamble brings a think tank of ex coaches to Alabama such as Butch Jones and Kiffin which helps Saban make his adjustments. It’s a part of the machine.

Let me remind y’all that Muschamp went out of his way 6 months ago to stick his neck out for Durkin’s character, so I’m willing to bet that others are willing to give Durkin a second chance as well. Maybe the timing was wrong, but it’s not like Durkin was going to be supervising players. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Saban isn’t a coach that uses emotions. He’s soulless. I understand why he does things that he does. He doesn’t care about the pushback and emotional responses that his hirings may cause. He doesn’t even think to it. It’s a good thing and a bad thing. He sees Jonathon Taylor, the football player, and not the consequences of bringing him on board. That gamble brings a think tank of ex coaches to Alabama such as Butch Jones and Kiffin which helps Saban make his adjustments. 

Let me remind y’all that Muschamp went out of his way 6 months ago to stick his neck out for Durkin’s character as well, so I’m willing to bet that others are willing to give Durkin a second chance as well. Maybe the timing was wrong, but it’s not like Durkin was going to be supervising players. 

I totally understand what you're saying and I have no problem with that. 

I also understand that Saban is able to compartmentalize human decency/emotion and robot efficiency like nobody's business.  I wish Auburn's HC had SOME of what makes Saban tick.  Obviously, leaving some of it in the dumpster.

Also, I don't know the truth of what happened at Maryland.  He could be 100% innocent of "the charges".  I'm not going to judge the man (not my place) beyond just "knowing what I know".

My main point is the Teflon nature of Saban doing "business" and running his "process" and the freedoms he seems to have and passes he's given by everyone, whether official NCAA, SEC or media ESPN, et al.  If Auburn had tried....just tried....to hire a guy with that stain on him, regardless of what Boom says about him....heck, even CNN would be running stories on the "toxic maculinity running amok at Auburn University" and the NCAA would be at AU's doorstep before the bowl game.

Now, please excuse me while I go buy a new chin-strap for my tin-foil hat.

bama fans have come out saying we have a lot of nerve when we still kiss up to dye after he repeatedly beat his wife in supposed drunken ragesand they claim this happened several times.. i like coach dye and have no idea if this is true. i will be sad if it is. my point is not to smear dye but to inform auburn fans why bama fans are mostly not too bothered by durkin.

27 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

bama fans have come out saying we have a lot of nerve when we still kiss up to dye after he repeatedly beat his wife in supposed drunken ragesand they claim this happened several times.. i like coach dye and have no idea if this is true. i will be sad if it is. my point is not to smear dye but to inform auburn fans why bama fans are mostly not too bothered by durkin.

bama fans are not upset about hiring Durkin because they say Dye beat his wife? I would say that make no sense but it actually makes perfect bama sense.

Really i think the majority of bama fans cringed slightly when they saw this. They will cringe again if it is brought up during the playoff coverage. The will care less should they win a game or 2 in the playoffs and this will never get brought up again

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Bama fans would not be upset if NS hired "Jack the ripper"... Just as long as he could recruit well.

The nickster could hire Jeffrey Dahmer to be a water boy and the bammers would somehow find a way to point fingers at Auburn....

It's much easier to just ignore that entire cesspool than worry about what the turds are doing. Nothing will change until Emmert and that tiny tyrant are gone.  The nickster will hire whoever he wants and that bunch of hounds-toothed morons won't care. 

Has anyone considered Nick Saban has a love/hate relationship with Alabama? He loves the power and control, but hates the two-bit town that is Tuscaloosa and the inbred fans. It is also likely UAT's PTB annoy Saban.

If this thesis is correct, one could assume Saban hired Durkin just to tweak the fans and the establishment.

4 hours ago, meh130 said:

Seriously, does anyone think any Bama beat reporter will dare ask Saban about Durkin at his next press conference?

Someone did because he was on the tube just now denying there is any relationship with him....the guy just visiting and looking around for a few days like anyo other coach might do.....   Guess we see how long that drop in visit lasts...

On 12/14/2018 at 10:46 AM, aubiefifty said:

They loved them some Wimp Sanderson through.

He's undergoing rehabilitation training at University of Alabama Tuscaloosa where he'll be under going rigorous program instruction on Saturdays. It's graduated many former coaches in recent years that have gone on with great success.

Archived