Recruited by AU at OLB
Named AU leader 3/2/19
UOVed 3/2/19
Plans to OV AU in Summer
Wants to commit to a school by end of Summer

Tigers move in front for junior college LB

By Keith Niebuhr
9088032.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off
Tyrus Wheat. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

AUBURN, ALABAMA — Tyrus Wheat, a linebacker from Copiah-Lincoln Community College (Miss.), saw enough during this weekend's visit to Auburn -- his first to the school -- to name the Tigers his leader.

"It went good," Wheat said. "I liked it. It was my first time here and it was nice. They treated me well. My girlfriend, mom and grandma came with me."

Wheat, a native of Amite, La., arrived Friday and stayed overnight. He said secondary coach Marcus Woodson, his area recruiter, and linebackers coach Travis Williams are the coaches he communicates with the most from Auburn.

"Both are recruiting me," Wheat said. "They are nice people. They treated me like I’m their son."

A December grad, Wheat is listed at 6-feet-2, 220 pounds. The Tigers like him at outside backer. He plays safety some now.

"Auburn would be my top school right now," Wheat said. "It feels like home and they treat people well."

South Carolina is Wheat's No. 2. He has yet to visit the Gamecocks but hopes to make that trip soon. Kentucky also is in the mix. Things could change as more offers come.

"It's pretty close," Wheat said. "I haven’t been to South Carolina, but Auburn treated me like I go here already."

According to Wheat, he hopes to have a late-summer commitment decision. He plans to officially visit the Tigers earlier in the summer.

"I’m trying to end it fast," Wheat said

I love his ball hawking ability. He does not mind lowering the boom on his opponents. He seems to have great closing speed to the ball. I hope we sign this young man. I would love to hear from those more in the know than me about your impression of him.

At 6'3" and 225 pounds has really good size for a safety which he plays in JC and because he can play Safety should have good cover skills at LB.  He has the frame to add another ten pounds which would make him an ideal size for today's hybrid linebackers who need to be able to stop the run and cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield. The only negative thing I saw is on to many tackles he goes for the big hit without wrapping.  The coaches can fix that.

21 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

At 6'3" and 225 pounds has really good size for a safety which he plays in JC and because he can play Safety should have good cover skills at LB.  He has the frame to add another ten pounds which would make him an ideal size for today's hybrid linebackers who need to be able to stop the run and cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield. The only negative thing I saw is on to many tackles he goes for the big hit without wrapping.  The coaches can fix that.

Actual size now is supposedly 6'2, 235 FWIW. He's playing OLB this coming year in Juco.

Sign him up. I like his size and the fact that he knows pass coverage. 

Archived