Richard McBryde enters Transfer Portal: Update 8/15

AlaskanFAN

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

No, I don't know that he has, but it's always been my assumption that playing at Auburn gives a person those connections. Do you know that they don't?

No, I don't know that for a fact, which is why I'm not sitting here judging the guy's decision. 

That said, I doubt that every single guy who plays for Auburn is instantly accepted for life into some network that guarantees him a lifetime of financial security. I find your assumption pretty strange.

Nor do I assume that financial security is even any given player's primary motivation. Maybe some of them, you know, love football? 

Most importantly, who says those connections are automatically forfeit if he leaves? You don't think some folks might be understanding of the fact that he was no longer going to be allowed to chase a dream or an NFL paycheck here, so he chased it elsewhere?

You judged the kid without knowing anything about him or his situation. Happens all the time and it's always a shame.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No, I don't know that for a fact, which is why I'm not sitting here judging the guy's decision. 

That said, I doubt that every single guy who plays for Auburn is instantly accepted for life into some network that guarantees him a lifetime of financial security. I find your assumption pretty strange.

Nor do I assume that financial security is even any given player's primary motivation. Maybe some of them, you know, love football? 

Most importantly, who says those connections are automatically forfeit if he leaves? You don't think some folks might be understanding of the fact that he was no longer going to be allowed to chase a dream or an NFL paycheck here, so he chased it elsewhere?

You judged the kid without knowing anything about him or his situation. Happens all the time and it's always a shame.

To be fair , I am not judging the guys motives just offering another’s explanation as to why he would want to pursue playing football even in the face of serious health concerns. I didn’t take @Rednilla comments to be dismissive to him just loving the game either. I think we are just having a discussing period as to why is this the case. Seeing as that he hasn’t provided a statement or motive, we are all just assuming the rationale. I see nothing wrong with that.

My two cents:  There is a network of alumni that help former Auburn players to a degree.  I know this because I know some of the players personally and one worked with me.  I know how he got the job.  He by no means was guaranteed the job however, you still have to earn it.  Some companies specifically hire former college athletes for the brand recognition.  I cannot tell you how many times we have had wholesalers come to my office and that is the first thing they let me know.  And if that person was wearing their SEC Championship ring if they had one.

I understand both sides of why Richard McBryde is transferring out.  He may have gotten a positive second opinion from another doctor like Jamel Dean did and wants to play again.  If he did, I remember WDE saying he probably would never be a big contributor at Auburn which is why he injury didn't sting as much this year.  So it makes sense for him to leave.

If he did not get a positive second opinion, it is a huge risk.  I understand that most of these men are the bread-winners for the family determined to get their mom and dad out of poverty.  Trying to get them a new house (Peyton Barber) or retire their parents.  There is also enormous risk where he can get further injured where over his lifetime the medical bills are more than he earned potentially in the NFL after taxes.

As someone in finance I do not think it is a good move IF he did not get a positive second opinion because he may get an influx in cash from an NFL contract (if he gets one) but most athletes are broke 5 years after they are out of the league.  I believe it is 80%.  For this reason, my firm and I do not take on celebrities or athletes (there are exceptions on very rare occasions) because their financial lives are so short and they want that "Instagram Life."  Making sure you get your education is more important because that will pay dividends over time compared to a flash in the pan with the NFL.

Also, less-fortunate families do not know how to deal with an influx in cash so fast and spend it instead of using it wisely.  An example of this is right after Hurricane Katrina, I went down with my church to help rebuild houses.  Most of these people received $70,000 checks from FEMA to help rebuild, and 95% of those people had brand new luxury cars in their driveways.  Why?  Because they have never seen that much money before and did not know how to use it wisely.  This is why I believe the NFL really needs to invest in making it a priority for rookies to go through a financial class of some sort for their own benefit.  Make it welcoming for their extended families to attend too.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

To be fair , I am not judging the guys motives just offering another’s explanation as to why he would want to pursue playing football even in the face of serious health concerns. I didn’t take @Rednilla comments to be dismissive to him just loving the game either. I think we are just having a discussing period as to why is this the case. Seeing as that he hasn’t provided a statement or motive, we are all just assuming the rationale. I see nothing wrong with that.

Re-reading the thread, you're right. I came in too hot on this.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your comments, @Rednilla.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

This is why you are one of my favorite posters

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

WebbedInsidiousErmine-size_restricted.gif

40 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

My two cents:  There is a network of alumni that help former Auburn players to a degree.  I know this because I know some of the players personally and one worked with me.  I know how he got the job.  He by no means was guaranteed the job however, you still have to earn it.  Some companies specifically hire former college athletes for the brand recognition.  I cannot tell you how many times we have had wholesalers come to my office and that is the first thing they let me know.  And if that person was wearing their SEC Championship ring if they had one.

I understand both sides of why Richard McBryde is transferring out.  He may have gotten a positive second opinion from another doctor like Jamel Dean did and wants to play again.  If he did, I remember WDE saying he probably would never be a big contributor at Auburn which is why he injury didn't sting as much this year.  So it makes sense for him to leave.

If he did not get a positive second opinion, it is a huge risk.  I understand that most of these men are the bread-winners for the family determined to get their mom and dad out of poverty.  Trying to get them a new house (Peyton Barber) or retire their parents.  There is also enormous risk where he can get further injured where over his lifetime the medical bills are more than he earned potentially in the NFL after taxes.

As someone in finance I do not think it is a good move IF he did not get a positive second opinion because he may get an influx in cash from an NFL contract (if he gets one) but most athletes are broke 5 years after they are out of the league.  I believe it is 80%.  For this reason, my firm and I do not take on celebrities or athletes (there are exceptions on very rare occasions) because their financial lives are so short and they want that "Instagram Life."  Making sure you get your education is more important because that will pay dividends over time compared to a flash in the pan with the NFL.

Also, less-fortunate families do not know how to deal with an influx in cash so fast and spend it instead of using it wisely.  An example of this is right after Hurricane Katrina, I went down with my church to help rebuild houses.  Most of these people received $70,000 checks from FEMA to help rebuild, and 95% of those people had brand new luxury cars in their driveways.  Why?  Because they have never seen that much money before and did not know how to use it wisely.  This is why I believe the NFL really needs to invest in making it a priority for rookies to go through a financial class of some sort for their own benefit.  Make it welcoming for their extended families to attend too.

Rookies actually do go through a well detailed course via the rookie symposium in regards to income . Just throwing that out there. They also provide a boot camp for players on their second contract, where not only players but their wives can also attend.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Rookies actually do go through a well detailed course via the rookie symposium in regards to income . Just throwing that out there. They also provide a boot camp for players on their second contract, where not only players but their wives can also attend.

I have been to the symposium.  Unfortunately the speakers that attend are just trying to become the players' advisers.  I broke my practice off from my first firm actually in part because there was a partner that specifically targeted the symposium to land guys to sell them insurance products.  He also went up to the combine to do the same thing.  That was not something I wanted to associate with.  They do not always have the best interest there.  A better system would be to pay the advisers a fee to come in and teach that way.  Then they come in and do not feel the pressure to "sell" something to these guys.  A big reason why I am fee based.  It puts food on my table and I can do what is right for the client every time.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I have been to the symposium.  Unfortunately the speakers that attend are just trying to become the players' advisers.  I broke my practice off from my first firm actually in part because there was a partner that specifically targeted the symposium to land guys to sell them insurance products.  He also went up to the combine to do the same thing.  That was not something I wanted to associate with.  They do not always have the best interest there.  A better system would be to pay the advisers a fee to come in and teach that way.  Then they come in and do not feel the pressure to "sell" something to these guys.  A big reason why I am fee based.  It puts food on my table and I can do what is right for the client every time.

Fair enough. Just saying the NFL does provide an avenue. Everybody has their own opinion and perspectives based on their interest.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, McLoofus said:

Of course it takes effort on the players' part, but that could just be a preferred walkon who spends his career on the scout team who gets the acclaim. Like Rudy. I hate Notre Dame with a passion, but I love Rudy.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:56 AM, McLoofus said:

I didn't mean to be down on anyone. And I know you're right in some cases that we still claim some of, like Brandon Jacobs, who played at Auburn but didn't have a place behind Caddy and Ronnie, so I would imagine he would maintain some connections in Auburn.

• 4 months later...
  • ellitor changed the title to Richard McBryde enters Transfer Portal: Update 8/15
On 3/14/2019 at 6:56 AM, McLoofus said:

u just did what a real man does loof. i call it class........

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:
On 3/14/2019 at 7:56 AM, McLoofus said:

u just did what a real man does loof. i call it class........

s23l7.jpg

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

16 transfers? This has to be an all-time record. Best luck to McBryde.

This is beyond brilliant on both sides.  For a guy who is likely not going to play in the NFL, that is one heck of a hunting ground to "outkick your coverage".  I hope McBryde has a terrific fall and finds a nice girl who's father didn't have any problem affording to send her there.  That campus is fantastic.

Archived