Softball vs Kennesaw State

Scheduled for 2 games Wednesday night against the Kennesaw State Owls (black and gold) from the Atlantic Sun conference.  Their two primary campuses are in Kennesaw, Georgia and Marrietta, Georgia.  Majority of players from in-state but do show 4 players from California.  We actually played them in the Tallahassee regional last year and won 5-2.  Their record is 17-17.  Of players with greater than 50 at bats four have BA greater than .300, ranging from .320 - .348.  Lexis Solórzano has 8 HR with BA .268.  Primary pitcher Haley with 2.42 ERA with two additional throwers having ERA 4.24 and 5.40.  Bennett appears to be the #2 pitcher and has faced 251 batters.  She has 42 strike outs but issued 68 walks and hit 23 batters meaning that about 36% of batters reached base either by walk or by bruise.  From what I can tell, opponents have been successful on stolen bases about 84% of attempts.  On paper, I would say AU is better in all phases of the game and against better competition.  Would expect many attempted stolen bases when situation presents itself.  

34 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

She has 42 strike outs but issued 68 walks and hit 23 batters meaning that about 36% of batters reached base either by walk or by bruise. 

Did you mention that she seems to have control problems.  :)

Maybe we could just let Perry go straight from the ODC to first base to save time.  😁  Seriously, I just remember last year they had a pitcher named Cutting that was quite good - we pitched Carlson against her and won 2-1 on a Rivera homer.  Sounds like they don't have anyone of that caliber this year.  They are 17-17, including losses in their last 4 games.  They did push Houston to 8 innings, but overall we should win both games.

Auburn Softball tweeted that now, there will only be one game at 6:00 CDT. I’m glad. I don’t think a midweek double header is what we need before the UGA series, especially already down 1 pitcher. 

Yeah Massey had them ranked 58th last year, they are 219th in the NCAA this year.

I really hope we don't steal any bases, it will make Dean think he can do it in the SEC.

6 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Maybe we could just let Perry go straight from the ODC to first base to save time.  😁  Seriously, I just remember last year they had a pitcher named Cutting that was quite good - we pitched Carlson against her and won 2-1 on a Rivera homer.  Sounds like they don't have anyone of that caliber this year.  They are 17-17, including losses in their last 4 games.  They did push Houston to 8 innings, but overall we should win both games.

Just noticed that Cutting is now at Georgia so we will see her this weekend.... But our hitting is much improved so I’m not worried 🙂

11 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

No radio broadcast for the Kennesaw game ?

Nor video? Geez, what's our excuse for camera tonight? 

12 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

No radio broadcast for the Kennesaw game ?

According to the softball schedule on the Auburn Athletics site there is radio broadcast on the Auburn Sports Network.  

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Nor video? Geez, what's our excuse for camera tonight? 

I don't know how much staff and expense it takes to have a tv broadcast.  I thought the Mississippi State series was well done with the single camera behind home plate.  I know they have a dedicated video "booth" behind home plate.  When I watched some games during a 1 month subscription with Flosoftball they sometimes had just a single camera slightly above home plate.  Not ideal but sure gave a better sense of the game than just radio; however there was no "instant replay".  

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

According to the softball schedule on the Auburn Athletics site there is radio broadcast on the Auburn Sports Network.  

I don't know how much staff and expense it takes to have a tv broadcast.  I thought the Mississippi State series was well done with the single camera behind home plate.  I know they have a dedicated video "booth" behind home plate.  When I watched some games during a 1 month subscription with Flosoftball they sometimes had just a single camera slightly above home plate.  Not ideal but sure gave a better sense of the game than just radio; however there was no "instant replay".  

I’m curious, tho, as to why we are THE ONLY game tonight that does not have available video. This is getting annoying. If other schools can, why not Auburn?

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m curious, tho, as to why we are THE ONLY game tonight that does not have available video. This is getting annoying. If other schools can, why not Auburn?

I guess everyone has budgets..  I doubt it's practical or financially prudent to set up with announcers, technicians , etc. for all the games but  JMO,  the athletic department could do a better job of linking up and sharing with schools that we play on the road so that our fans could watch on their sites.   That should be easy to do by some computer geek handling the site on auburntigers.com

Frankly I'm surprised that so many home games are shown and wonder is it affects attendance.   If the games are free,  as at some schools, then lost attendance is not an issue but AU probably loses a bit of income from televised home games?   

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess everyone has budgets..  I doubt it's practical or financially prudent to set up with announcers, technicians , etc. for all the games but  JMO,  the athletic department could do a better job of linking up and sharing with schools that we play on the road so that our fans could watch on their sites.   That should be easy to do by some computer geek handling the site on auburntigers.com

Frankly I'm surprised that so many home games are shown and wonder is it affects attendance.   If the games are free,  as at some schools, then lost attendance is not an issue but AU probably loses a bit of income from televised home games?   

Wouldn’t that be the case with all schools? Maybe they don’t show their games as much as I think but it sure seems like other schools have video more than us. I have nothing to prove that is the case but it just seems that way.

21 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Wouldn’t that be the case with all schools? Maybe they don’t show their games as much as I think but it sure seems like other schools have video more than us. I have nothing to prove that is the case but it just seems that way.

I have no idea but I do see that some other schools charge for their streaming....UAB for example when we played them in baseball.   Not sure how common that is....but could make a difference.    I still wonder how much free TV cuts into paid attendance?   maybe not much in minor sports but as tickets get more expensive, the TV/streaming alternative is more appealing.   Total cost of attending an AU football game for me and wife has made it where we just can't bring ourselves to pend the money. 

My thought has been that they want more folks to come to the games, for morale and home field advantage.  that wasn't an issue during Myers' last couple of years.  Meanwhile, AU currently leads KS 2-1, top 3d, two outs, Handley pitching.  Rivera due up for Auburn in bottom 3.

Well, actually it was Maresette, hitting 2d tonight.  She doubled, and Tannon singled her to third, but Rivera, Veach, and Greenwood all struck out swinging.  Taylon Snow not in the lineup, Crack hitting leadoff.

Here is the link to KSU's LiveStats program, they have the good one:  http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=251960&vislive=kenn

Going to bot 4, score tied at 2.  KSU gets a run on 2 singles and an error by Greenwood.  Perry, Dowell, Podany due up.

Three more strikeouts for Andrews, who has struck out the side the last two innings.  2-2 going to top 5.

I'm almost positive that all games are videoed with either 1,2,3 or 4 cameras.  Coach Dean probably uses video as coaching and teaching tools.  Whether the video is TV or streaming quality, I don't know. 

Swindle in to pitch, KSU has runners on 1st and 2d with one out; then we seemingly get a double play with shortstop getting the runner at second and Rivera throwing out the lead runner at home.  Not sure what happened, but we need the bats to wake up.  McCrackin due up.

Auburn leads 3-2 after 5.  McCrackin doubled, Maresette popped out, Rivera walked, TanSnow popped out; then Veach and Godwin walked, scoring Crack.  Perry struck out looking, leaving the bases juiced.

Top 6:  Swindle walks one, but gets the other three harmlessly.  Dowell, Podany, McCrackin due up in bottom.

Bot 6:  PODANY HOMERS to give us a 4-2 lead.  McCrackin singles, but is stranded.  Need 3 outs.

36 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I'm almost positive that all games are videoed with either 1,2,3 or 4 cameras.  Coach Dean probably uses video as coaching and teaching tools.  Whether the video is TV or streaming quality, I don't know. 

Sounds reasonable ….but guess it would be easy enough to get players or students to do that work....

Game over - AU wins 4-2.  Swindle walked the leadoff in T7, but got a strikemoutthrowemout double play, then a flyout.  AU had 9 hits, KSU 8, and we left a bunch stranded.  Their pitcher must have had a nasty rise ball, as we had a lot of KS and popouts.  Georgia Dogs upcoming.

I would still like to know what happened to get the Owls out in top 5.  To set it up, they had Gocke on second and Solorzano on first, with Greep at bat, one out.  Then LiveStats said the following:  Greep singled, advanced to second on the throw (2-1); Solorzano advanced to third, out at home rf to c; Gocke out at second ss unassisted.  

Interpretations? 

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Game over - AU wins 4-2.  Swindle walked the leadoff in T7, but got a strikemoutthrowemout double play, then a flyout.  AU had 9 hits, KSU 8, and we left a bunch stranded.  Their pitcher must have had a nasty rise ball, as we had a lot of KS and popouts.  Georgia Dogs upcoming.

I would still like to know what happened to get the Owls out in top 5.  To set it up, they had Gocke on second and Solorzano on first, with Greep at bat, one out.  Then LiveStats said the following:  Greep singled, advanced to second on the throw (2-1); Solorzano advanced to third, out at home rf to c; Gocke out at second ss unassisted.  

Interpretations? 

Gocke was actually out at 3rd unassisted by the shortstop (the stats are wrong when saying out at 2nd). Makenna then threw to 1st for the double play, but the throw was errant. The runner at second advanced to 3rd, but was out at home on the tag by Veach.

Thanks.  So Greep didn't really single, but hit a grounder that Dowell fielded; Dowell then touched third and threw to first, but made an errant throw, allowing Greep to reach second.  Solorzano tried to score but was thrown out by Rivera.  I would score it as Greep reaching on a fielder's choice, but then I'm not a professional scorekeeper.

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks.  So Greep didn't really single, but hit a grounder that Dowell fielded; Dowell then touched third and threw to first, but made an errant throw, allowing Greep to reach second.  Solorzano tried to score but was thrown out by Rivera.  I would score it as Greep reaching on a fielder's choice, but then I'm not a professional scorekeeper. 

Dowell more likely tagged the runner, not that it makes any difference. Should she get an error as well given the batter advanced to 2nd? Obviously the inning ended, but the runner originally on first could have stayed at 3rd.

Archived