Malzahn reacts to analyst Michael Lombardi

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn reacts to analyst who says Auburn ‘might be one of the worst offenses in football’

Today 6:57 AM

2-3 minutes

Auburn Football

Joe Songer | jsonger@al.com

Auburn head football coach Gus Malzahn. Regions Tradition Pro-Am 2019. (Joe Songer | jsonger@al.com).

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Gus Malzahn defended his decade-long record against a college football analyst that said Auburn might have “one of the worst offenses in football.”

It was a sharp criticism from Michael Lombardi, who is a former NFL executive and current writer for The Athletic. He made his comments on “The GM Shuffle” Podcast.

“Well, I’d say this,” Malzhan said. “I’ve been in the league for 10 years, and we’ve been pretty successful offensively.”

Malzahn has seen his Auburn team ranked in the Top 10 of the AP Poll at some point in each of the last six years. He’s had teams that have been highly effective offensively.

“That offense at Auburn, I’m not sure what the hell it is,” Lombardi said. “They run power, they run unbalanced … But anyway, that offense, seriously, might be one of the worst offenses in football, so you can’t evaluate a quarterback in it, or they can’t train a quarterback, that’s the other thing. [Gus Malzahn] can’t train them.”

He added that quarterback Jarrett Stidham shouldn’t have transferred from Baylor, because the incoming system there would have allowed him to be an early-round pick in the NFL Draft. Auburn ranked No. 78 in total offense last season.

Malzahn’s rebuttal certainly didn’t have the fire or ferocity that accompanied the criticism itself. Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville provided that. But Malzahn did go out of his way to defend his record, and say he believed it would continue on.

“You know, last year was a tough year," Malzahn said. "We were very inexperienced. We had some growing pains. I feel really good about our offense moving forward, and real excited moving forward.”

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going with Gus on this one. Overall our offense has been pretty effective. I wish this Lombardi guy was a defensive coordinator for our opponents. I would love to here a DC say he didn't know what type of offense we run. He acts like unbalanced is a bad thing. I would think OC are always scheming how to get more players at the point of attack versus the defense.

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

“You know, last year was a tough year," Malzahn said. "We were very inexperienced. We had some growing pains. I feel really good about our offense moving forward, and real excited moving forward.”

How in the world can a coach in his 6th season claim we were inexperienced with a straight face.  He uses that same excuse yearly, whether it be to make excuses before or after the season

Here's what he had to say preseason last year.  Seems like we had plenty of experience before this past season started:

2019-05-09 08_36_01-'A hungry team'_ Gus Malzahn previews Auburn at SEC Media Days - Auburn Universi.png

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/7/19/football-a-hungry-team-gus-malzahn-previews-auburn-at-sec-media-days.aspx

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

How in the world can a coach in his 6th season claim we were inexperienced with a straight face.

coaches have done it off and on for years if i remember correctly. i have no problem believing it. it does not mean the whole team. i am sure he was thinking of the oline without throwing them under the bus maybe?

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How in the world can a coach in his 6th season claim we were inexperienced with a straight face.  He uses that same excuse yearly, whether it be to make excuses before or after the season

Here's what he had to say preseason last year.  Seems like we had plenty of experience before this past season started:

2019-05-09 08_36_01-'A hungry team'_ Gus Malzahn previews Auburn at SEC Media Days - Auburn Universi.png

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/7/19/football-a-hungry-team-gus-malzahn-previews-auburn-at-sec-media-days.aspx

Whoops. 

Good ol' Gus, blaming it on the players again. 

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How in the world can a coach in his 6th season claim we were inexperienced with a straight face.

Here's what he had to say preseason:

Exactly!  You can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. 

It's plain and simple, Auburn should be reloading at this point.  We get the "inexperienced" excuse?  What's next, injuries & youth?

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

coaches have done it off and on for years if i remember correctly. i have no problem believing it. it does not mean the whole team. i am sure he was thinking of the oline without throwing them under the bus maybe?

So I can mark you down for accepting his contradictions and excuses.

Image result for write it down gif

why sure you can. i am in several peoples black book around here.

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

He failed to take the opportunity to defend HIS offense, HIS scheme or even rebut the accusation that HE can't train a damn QB.  He failed to defend his QB development and training plan.  Instead he deflects and says the offense has been "pretty successful" and last year was a tough year with some growing pains?   

When someone like Michael Lombardi takes a stab at you, your program, the system YOU are known for (offense) then you STAND up and fight back at the first opportunity.  

Just now, keesler said:

He failed to take the opportunity to defend HIS offense, HIS scheme or even rebut the accusation that HE can't train a damn QB.  He failed to defend his QB development and training plan.  Instead he deflects and says the offense has been "pretty successful" and last year was a tough year with some growing pains?   

When someone like Michael Lombardi takes a stab at you, your program, the system you are known for (offense) then you STAND up and fight back at the first opportunity.  

bad kees..............i am pretty sure he did just that on another article i posted this morning as well as this one. thanx for trying . just another thread hijacked by gus haters. you guys are like flies. you just keep annoying people. i get free speech but how many times do you have to say the same ol thing over and over again

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

bad kees..............i am pretty sure he did just that on another article i posted this morning as well as this one. thanx for trying . just another thread hijacked by gus haters. you guys are like flies. you just keep annoying people. i get free speech but how many times do you have to say the same ol thing over and over again

I don't hate Gus, I'm just tired of his 5 losses a season.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

When someone like Michael Lombardi takes a stab at you, your program, the system YOU are known for (offense) then you STAND up and fight back at the first opportunity.  

Maybe taking the higher road was an option? Why get in a tit-for-tap with a lower level analyst trying to make a name for himself? 30 years in the NFL and nothing more than a glorified scout. Yeah, he is golden...

I like that he didn't get petty with it. Be above it all Gus. Been very impressed with the way we have been represented by our football and basketball coach off the field lately in terms of adversity. 

The Gus bashing had gotten old. Same crowd never misses an opportunity to be negative.  Whatever trips your trigger I guess...

8 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

The Gus bashing had gotten old. Same crowd never misses an opportunity to be negative.  Whatever trips your trigger I guess...

Some of it is fair, but you are right, some of it can also be over the top. It is in Gus's corner to quiet the loudest critics. Hopefully, we surprise a lot of folks this year, including some of our own.

I've obviously said too much on the board today and I've apparently annoyed some of you like a pesky fly at the picnic.  

So this old crowd member will pack up and take a nice vacation for a while, I promise to work on cleaning up the negativity next time around.

Later guys.:byebye:

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Some of it is fair, but you are right, some of it can also be over the top. It is in Gus's corner to quiet the loudest critics. Hopefully, we surprise a lot of folks this year, including some of our own.

So, even with all of our talent, what happens if Gus goes out and loses another 5 in the same confusing, discombobulated way we have the last 5 years? Do the AlwayGus defenders finally admit Gus' culpability? 

I liked our offense when Gus was an OC.  He lost his way and has struggled to regain his heading, but I hope Gus turns it around. He needs to evolve and has been beyond reluctant to.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So, even with all of our talent, what happens if Gus goes out and loses another 5 in the same confusing, discombobulated way we have the last 5 years? Do the AlwayGus defenders finally admit Gus' culpability? 

I liked our offense when Gus was an OC.  He lost his way and has struggled to regain his heading, but I hope Gus turns it around. He needs to evolve and has been beyond reluctant to.

He probably gets fired big bird.  I can’t speak for what the Gus defenders or bashers plan to do but for me, I am going to stay positive and objective. Once the season comes around and IF it is a need to, I will be back to my criticizing self, but as it isthe offseason, I am going to go into this season with a mindset that we are going to be successful.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

He probably gets fired big bird.  I can’t speak for what the Gus defenders or bashers plan to do but for me, I am going to stay positive and objective. Once the season comes around and IF it is a need to, I will be back to my criticizing self, but as it isthe offseason, I am going to go into this season with a mindset that we are going to be successful.

Likewise.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

The haters (aka "the pack") are like flies on a turd.

Guess what the turd is.

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am going to go into this season with a mindset that we are going to be successful.

Image result for charlie brown meme this time

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I've obviously said too much on the board today and I've apparently annoyed some of you like a pesky fly at the picnic.  

So this old crowd member will pack up and take a nice vacation for a while, I promise to work on cleaning up the negativity next time around.

Later guys.:byebye:

:(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The 100K question is, can he evolve? Is he capable? So far he has proved he isn't capable.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The 100K question is, can he evolve? He he capable? So far he has proved he isn't capable.

No he can't. Not bashing not hating just being honest to the man in the mirror.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The 100K question is, can he evolve? Is he capable? So far he has proved he isn't capable.

Capable? He doesn't seem to even want to. 

Archived