Tulane Game Report Card

StatTiger

1 hour ago, Warbird82 said:

From what I saw, Tulane sold out to stop the run by putting 8-9 guys in the box.  Now I'm no mathematician but its kind of hard to block them all if they out number your guys.  Having said that, one way to counter this is to use screens and play action passing.  Gus finally figured it out in the second quarter.  IMHO, he continues to force the issue when the defense is showing you otherwise...that's just being stubborn.

Most of the plays in the first half were perimeter runs and perimeter passes. We seemed to focus on inside runs more in the second half. So maybe all the perimeter stuff just paid off in the second half?

19 hours ago, StatTiger said:

might have been a one-route option

This is beyond baffling to me.  

Anyone watching LSU's O this year??  Brand new O they installed this off season, complex routes and plays.  Granted, i know there's a difference in an experienced QB vs. a true freshman QB, but still they put in a whole new O and they are clicking right off the bat.  

AU has a veteran OL, who couldn't handle Tulane in the trenches, and now thin at WR, or at least a possible lack of experience.  

Ohhh, and why are we throwing a deep route to a WR with a freaking cast on one hand?!?

27 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

This is beyond baffling to me.  

Anyone watching LSU's O this year??  Brand new O they installed this off season, complex routes and plays.  Granted, i know there's a difference in an experienced QB vs. a true freshman QB, but still they put in a whole new O and they are clicking right off the bat.  

AU has a veteran OL, who couldn't handle Tulane in the trenches, and now thin at WR, or at least a possible lack of experience.  

Ohhh, and why are we throwing a deep route to a WR with a freaking cast on one hand?!?

Word is, Auburn's TF QB could probably teach CGM a superior passing offense FWIW.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stat, this report card can't be right, because Auburn moved up to 7th in the Coaches Poll after our big victory over Tulane. You need to put your Sharpie to work to adjust the numbers. 😉

As always, thank you for compiling the data, Stat.

23 hours ago, goTULANEt said:

Hey y'all.  Just wanted to say we had a great time this weekend coming up for the game, despite the loss.  We had some opportunities to score more, but our offense leaves a lot to be desired.  Anyway, classy fans, amazing campus, good times, a HOT day, but a fun trip.  Please, please please, can y'all completely destroy LSU this year?

Had a friend who went to Tulane and we got to go visit her and party with Tulane kids around NOLA a few times. Y'all good people.

Glad you guys enjoyed your trip! You've got a well coached team and quite honestly might've beaten us with better QB play. Good luck the rest of the way!

On 9/10/2019 at 5:13 PM, SumterAubie said:

There. That's better.

Joiner was one of the players I was most excited to see breakout this season, yet, we've seen almost nothing from him. If Whitlow's issues with holding onto the ball carry over to tomorrow and to TAMU, I hope and expect to see a chunk of his carries to be distributed to Joiner and maybe DJ Williams, if healthy.