Details of Pearl's new contract

AU64

https://www.wrbl.com/top-stories/auburn-publicizes-all-details-of-bruce-pearls-new-5-year-contract/

Heck of a deal.....looks like Jimmy Sexton could be working for him too. 

Auburn publicizes all details of Bruce Pearl’s new 5-year contract

201903161413512152996-p3_20190316204758518-159532

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl reacts to a call in the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Florida at the Southeastern Conference tournament Saturday, March 16, 2019, in Nashville, Tenn. Auburn won 65-62. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

AUBURN, Ala. (WRBL) – Bruce Pearl has agreed to remain with Auburn University for another five years and continue leading the program following a season that brought the Tigers to the Final Four.

AL.com reports Pearl previously agreed to extend his contract through the 2023-2024 season back in April. Now, the details of that agreement have been publicized.

Under the new contract, Pearl will earn a salary starting at $250,000 yearly, paid at the end of each month. Additionally, the coach will also earn $1,775,000 in endorsement rights and appearance fees, according to documents obtained by AL.com.

Pearl’s fees for endorsement rights and appearances will also increase each year by $62,500 through the contract, which is set to finish as a $2 million deal for the last year, according to AL.com.

Overall, Pearl will earn $3.8 million in the first year alone, increasing to a final total of $4.3 million for the 2022-2023 year.

Broken down year-over-year, Pearl will get:

• $3,800,000 for 2019-2020
  • $3,925,000 for 2020-2021
  • $4,050,000 for 2021-2022
  • $4,175,000 for 2022-2023
  • $4,300,000 for 2023-2024

On top of that, if Auburn tries to buy out of the contract, Pearl would get a full half of the remaining money, while if the coach leaves he would owe Auburn $8 million.

Pearl is also entitled to bonuses each sesason, up to $750,000

53 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Heck of a deal for Auburn.....................imo

So do you think we make enough from basketball revenue to pay his salary plus the other expenses of the program?    Honest question....just curious. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

So do you think we make enough from basketball revenue to pay his salary plus the other expenses of the program?    Honest question....just curious. 

I would think so. If he keeps AUburn in the tournament and makes a deep run semi-regularly, b-ball tickets will probably be a hard sellout every season. Plus the sales from memorabilia that goes with that. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Irrelevant. That's not expected from any Bball coach besides ones at UNC, Duke, UK, & Kansas. Football revenue covers most expenses for athletic departments that turn a profit.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Irrelevant. That's not expected from any Bball coach besides ones at UNC, Duke, UK, & Kansas. Football revenue covers most expenses for athletic departments that turn a profit.

Disagree....it is a business, not a charity....if you pay salaries like that, the business should at least cover it's costs.  JMO

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yes  Auburn mens basketball saw an increase in revenue, from $9.9 million to $11.2 million during the 2017-18 fiscal year, according to the university’s NCAA Membership Financial Report. Also the good will and media attention with our first ever trip to final four was worth every penny we pay Bruce. JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Disagree....it is a business, not a charity....if you pay salaries like that, the business should at least cover it's costs.  JMO

The business is Auburn athletics with BB being a department of that business so need to include all departments. As a whole the  business made a profit all be it slightly down from the year before. JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

That's not expected from any Bball coach besides ones at UNC, Duke, UK, & Kansas

Bet you are wrong about that.....lots of basketball programs contribute heavily to their schools athletic program and that is where you find the higher paid coaches.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2017/03/which_college_basketball_programs_make_the_most_money_syracuse_among_top_5.html

AU is among the top ten in total athletic department revenue but we are primarily football based.....most other SEC schools have higher basketball revenue than AU and we are not on the top 25 list of basketball revenue schools.  

We are probably on the upswing however,  though even with a sold out arena our ticket prices are probably a bargain compared to those the blue blood schools that have waiting lists. 

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yes  Auburn mens basketball saw an increase in revenue, from $9.9 million to $11.2 million during the 2017-18 fiscal year, according to the university’s NCAA Membership Financial Report. Also the good will and media attention with our first ever trip to final four was worth every penny we pay Bruce. JMO

Good to see the revenue up....but the coach's salary is about 1/3rd revenue.....a pretty high percentage if you look at other schools....so if you consider other expenses involved with staff and the cost of putting on games, travel, scholarships, etc....we are still losing money.    I understand that is not unusual but also even at $11 million, our revenue is behind many large schools with high profile programs and behind many SEC programs. .

As you note, you have to consider the non-monetary benefits too......though as for "good will",   the issues with the basketball program are a mixed blessing for AU these days. 

64 you are the only AU fan who would try to take this angle. Anyone who knows your posting history on Pearl sees right through it. Just your way of yet again trying to throw clouds on the Pearl shine.

#WeakSauce

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

64 you are the only person who would try to take this angle. Anyone who knows your posting history on Pearl sees right through it. Just your way of yet again trying to throw clouds on the Pearl shine.

#WeakSauce

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

64 you are the only AU fan who would try to take this angle. Anyone who knows your posting history on Pearl sees right through it. Just your way of yet again trying to throw clouds on the Pearl shine.

#WeakSauce

and he will go to the end of the world to defend a VASTLY OVERPAID football coach who is "maybe" slightly above average, yet he will find fault with a proven and competent basketball coach just because he didn't approve of his hire....you can only laugh at a guy like this

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good to see the revenue up....but the coach's salary is about 1/3rd revenue.....a pretty high percentage if you look at other schools....so if you consider other expenses involved with staff and the cost of putting on games, travel, scholarships, etc....we are still losing money.    I understand that is not unusual but also even at $11 million, our revenue is behind many large schools with high profile programs and behind many SEC programs. .

As you note, you have to consider the non-monetary benefits too......though as for "good will",   the issues with the basketball program are a mixed blessing for AU these days. 

What other schools? Such a broad statement w/ no specifics doesn't help me out at all understanding your slant.

If the going rate for top level coaches requires us to dip into football revenues to help out, I am all for it. I don't think we are overpaying Pearl, if that is what you are implying.

I have started going to AU basketball games ever since PEarl was hired and brought a renewed interest in being a top level program. He has delivered that so far. Now its important to sustain it and stay in the top programs. 

But if you are saying to pay Pearl we need to increase ONLY basketball revenues, that requires increasing the cost to us fans. While I am not dumb enough to think that success requires better coaches, assistant coaches and recruiting improvements, and therefore an increase to my costs, I WILL NOT be gouged(since you think basketball needs to only pay for basketball) into paying ridiculous tickets and TUF increases.

And don't forget we have to pay Coach Greg Williams' salary!!!   The man has jumped all kinds of hurdles to keep Auburn on top.

(you see what I did there, right? uh huh!!!  )  I crack myself up.

Archived