Swamp Eagle

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

GREAT point muhhhhhhhhhh dude. Nebraska and Rocky Top will NEVER EVER be what they once were. Their recruiting base sucks freaking ass. We are much better set up to be a perennial power than them. Tradition only means anything if you are in a position to succeed. Those 2 programs are not.

OR... they could be again, one day. If they made the right moves...

Point is, it's all about the here and now. Here and now, we got all the talent and resources to compete with anybody. When I become AD, my first call is to you GWill. Time for Auburn people to dream big.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

SIR! SIR!! PLEASE HOLD ON!!!!! LET ME STOP YOU RIGHT THERE SIR!!!!!!! I am asking for NATTY's!!!!! I will accept nothing less than greatness. Because with the talent we can attract we should able to get one every few years........ I AM SOOOOOO out of the business of wanting anything less than a natty!!!! Herm may of failed to take his own advice BUT YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!! NAW NAW NAW NAAAAAAAAAAW if bleepin bleep bleep bleeeeeeeeeeeep little brother Clemson can get 2 in 3 years then we should expect that. They are a nobody program from nothing. We at least are a fringe top 10 program all time.

werwr.gif

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So, what your saying is that we should hope for better, but when we don’t win, we should be okay with it because historically we just don’t measure up to it?

Exactly 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

OR... they could be again, one day. If they made the right moves...

Point is, it's all about the here and now. Here and now, we got all the talent and resources to compete with anybody. When I become AD, my first call is to you GWill. Time for Auburn people to dream big.

trtr.gif

The bottom line is this. Auburn can certainly be a better than 8-4 program. But instead of looking at history and making fair after-the-fact comparisons (such as Shugs 3 10-win seasons in 25 years and Gus' 2 in 6 1/2), Gus, or anyone we get, is being compared to Nick Saban. Good luck with that s**t. Some of you guys are going to die as very disappointed individuals.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

GREAT point muhhhhhhhhhh dude. Nebraska and Rocky Top will NEVER EVER be what they once were. Their recruiting base sucks freaking ass. We are much better set up to be a perennial power than them. Tradition only means anything if you are in a position to succeed. Those 2 programs are not.

I think their fan base and the rest of the conferences are now recognizing this too. 

We have a a great recruiting base. We are great geographically. What we arent is coached as well as we could/shuold be.

It takes a great coach. A coach with a clear vision of how he wants to run a football program with the confidence to know that if his players buy in, they’ll win. There have been a handful of them throughout the history of college football. We haven’t gotten one of them. Alabama has gotten a couple. Clemson was fortunate enough to find one. Florida got a couple, Oklahoma has gotten a couple, Michigan, USC, Penn St, etc. That’s what it takes, and we haven’t found ours. We have, however, for the most part, managed to stay get mostly average to good coaches who at least don’t destroy our football program. Tennessee caught that bug big time. I personally think that when/if that opportunity comes, then Auburn will have the history and legacy in place to take that next step. We did it with basketball, it appears. But you can’t just hire hot coaches one after another with the hope that we strike gold. For every Nick Saban/Dabo there are about 20 Turner Gill/Will Muschamps.

29 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Swamp...Troll that you are...KMMFA...

Have a nice life.

Not trolling, brother. Truth. Its not surprising in this day and age that most people can't deal with it. 

Dig up some of my posts in years past. I've fired, criticized, etc. Gus as much as anyone. Then I remembered I'm a realist.

Don't fret, though. Nick Saban won't coach forever. That's the standard most here compare any coach we'll have to, and that ain't realistic.

.631 since 1892 is one way to look at us. If were going to consider all-time stats though like .631 it's only fair to also consider our 11 undefeated seasons, including 2 in the last 15 years (Bama had 12 undefeated seasons but only 1 since 1992 and UF for example has never gone undefeated). But staying with the 127 year .631 thing, we are top 20 in number of games won all-time and many schools ahead of us have played football longer (and most for sure have never played the SEC West caliber schedules we have for the last 20 years). 

Yeah I still dont understand what Clemson gained by firing Tommy Bowden. Or what Bama was thinking when they ran off Bill Curry. And UGA is def going to become the next UT after firing Mark Richt. And I still think the low point of Auburn sports was when they fired Barfield to hire Pat Dye. So silly for an organization to try and improve when they can stay the same.

15 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That is the win percentage of the Auburn football program since 1892. That's 127 years worth of facts. 

People are bitching and moaning around here like we're historically a blue blood of college football.

.631 is good enough as 18th all-time. Now thats impressive considering we're not even the state namesake university. But to be wringing our hands and demanding that every coach has some faux legacy to uphold by contending for championships year in and year out is a pipe dream. 

Should that be the goal? Absolutely. Is it realistic? Well, to disagree with me is not arguing with me; you're arguing with 127 years of reality. That doesn't mean we.should settle for anything or anyone, but it sure does limit the standard that we clamor to hold someone to year in and year out.

Enjoy your life of mediocrity never striving to improve or caring about improvement. 

Even our "great" coaches have stunk the joint up on occasion. Bottom line is as long as I've followed AU football, we have had great teams around every 10 years and some good years between with an occasional dud. We are due in 2023. Ignore the history all you want.

1 hour ago, wde1968 said:

Enjoy your life of mediocrity never striving to improve or caring about improvement. 

My life and your view of Auburn football are miles apart. Maybe that's the problem for too many people here; their own lives are so pathetic that their only measure of self-worth rests on the results of a football program. 

Interesting. Am I on a bammer board?

8 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The bottom line is this. Auburn can certainly be a better than 8-4 program. But instead of looking at history and making fair after-the-fact comparisons (such as Shugs 3 10-win seasons in 25 years and Gus' 2 in 6 1/2), Gus, or anyone we get, is being compared to Nick Saban. Good luck with that s**t. Some of you guys are going to die as very disappointed individuals.

Dumb comparison.  Shug coached in a time when 10 game schedules were the norm, not 12.  Also, they didn't have 3 cupcakes a year on the schedule back in those days.  Go look at the '72 Amazins schedule.  There was one layup game vs Chattanooga during a 10 game regular season schedule.  Everything else was big boy football.

If 8-4 is OK because historically that's what we are, then you're arguing that being right around .500 in the SEC is now OK too, because that is what 8-4 is in modern football.  Those 3 gimme games a year we have now need to be thrown out when considering Gus's accomplishments at AU.

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

AU should be a 9-11 win team every season with maybe one blimp of a 7 or 8 win every now and then.

Based on?

16 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Based on?

If Auburn should not be a 9-11 win team every year, there is no excuse to pay a coach 7 million dollars and it's an even stronger point against keeping Malzahn

Gus is not doing much better than the .631 winning percentage. He's being paid top 5 money while producing top 15 results. Pay him in the 4 million range and that would be more appropriate. I know that's not going to happen but neither is 11-12 wins so that is where most fans stand. Something has to give. Auburn may be all time 18th in winning percentage but that's no reason to accept it. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

AU should be a 9-11 win team every season with maybe one blimp of a 7 or 8 win every now and then.

53 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Players we get/have

And how many yearly wins should AU have with Gus as Head Coach?

:rimshot:

Just now, AUsince72 said:

And how many yearly wins should AU have with Gus as Head Coach?

:rimshot:

Pre or post buyout/raise?  That was a game-changer for many.

Just now, ToraGirl said:

Pre or post buyout/raise?  That was a game-changer for many.

Oh, it was certainly a game changer for me.

But then, I've given my feelings on how that whole SECCG week went down that I lost faith in Gus' actual professionalism that week.

I know some disagree with me, and that's fine, but when he splits his focus THAT week, of all weeks, I've had a sour taste about him since.

Again, nothing personal as I believe he's a fine man and I am 100% a capitalist.  But do your job (which is to win the SEC) and THEN go hold your hand out for more.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:09 PM, SCTiger2011 said:

If Auburn should not be a 9-11 win team every year, there is no excuse to pay a coach 7 million dollars and it's an even stronger point against keeping Malzahn

So I guess Dye and Shug and all the other coaches who weren't making $7 million a year just weren't trying hard enough. The pay is irrelevant when history says you have a .631 win average.  

Archived