Swamp Eagle

13 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Wanting better is not entitlement. And its stupid to say it is. 

Aw man...I thought you were better than that. Still keeping hope...🙏

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Good points. But my OP was not about NOT swinging; it was about "if you strike out, just go back to the dugout and aim to do better...don't remain in the batters box holding up a copy of Ty Cobb's career batting average."

i can't tell that you have made a coherent point. what is your point exactly?

1 hour ago, fasttimes said:

i can't tell that you have made a coherent point. what is your point exactly?

Sorry, Spicoli. No free comprehension lessons today.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Best post in the entire thread, and it has nothing to do with "history". 

You just had to resurrect it, didn't you? :D

On 10/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, Tiger said:

My point is simply going over you guys' heads. The fact that we absolutely failed to capitalize on 2 national championship appearances, and winning 1, in a 3 year window by having Chizik and Gus as our HCs does not make it OK to be living in this world where we are eating 8 win seasons in the current era. Hovering around 8 wins became unacceptable after finishing in the top 2 in the entire country just a few years apart. If Clemson all of a sudden slid back to the world of Clemsoning they would consider it unacceptable. There comes a time when you reach a new level and you're supposed to sustain that. We reached the new height and failed to sustain it. We are still the same program capable of sustaining it that everyone thought we were but we have just been incompetent with how we chose our leaders to sustain the success.

With the right coach this program can go on a tear. We have the recruiting, the resources, the stadium, the facilities, and the support to make this happen.

I think we need to beat the LSUs and the GAs over half the time(at least when they come to our place)...and we are in the SECC and NC hunt every year until we play ALabama. But we are not even getting to that point w/ Gus and his struggling offenses. 

We haven't done that over the last 6 years (b/c we can't win it with offense). And we will see if we can do it in year 7.

That is why a new coach seems to be the best option, regardless of whether they can be AS GOOD as Gus has. 

On 10/6/2019 at 6:31 PM, augolf1716 said:

AU should be a 9-11 win team every season with maybe one blimp of a 7 or 8 win every now and then.

You're aspiration for AU is admirable...but it is not realistic either historically or currently with the schedule our Tigers play year in and year out.  Vandy is not our permanent SEC East opponent, UGA is. And we already have UGA, bammer and LSU every season. (Used to be that UF was every season also. Dye called it "Amen corner" for a reason.)

I think 9 wins a year on average is attainable. Maybe. 10-11? Nah. Not even $aban could manage that kind of record at LSWho.  Doubt he would be allowed * to do it at AU either.. That he can at bammer just points up the fact that bammer is...well...let's call it a "special case."

*I used "allowed" here on purpose. And I don't mean that it has anything to do with the powers that be at AU.

I think based on historically, realistically, and ideally, if you ranked every SEC team based on where they SHOULD be every year, Auburn SHOULD be 5th every season. In part due to Auburn playing 3 of the 4 teams above them. In part due to them not being located in a recruiting hotbed (and having to share the state they are located in). In part due to their obtrusive board of trustees and historically shaky trend in obtaining desired coaches.

Now you can be a blue blood AND have all of those things be true, but Auburn is not and likely will not be in my lifetime. Auburn could build up quite the buffer of wins if they moved to the ACC or SEC East, but they seem to not want to do that. There's probably NO other way for them to reach that status until the BoT are all replaced and they can get a fresh start on their hiring specifications 

10 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You're aspiration for AU is admirable...but it is not realistic either historically or currently with the schedule our Tigers play year in and year out.  Vandy is not our permanent SEC East opponent, UGA is. And we already have UGA, bammer and LSU every season. (Used to be that UF was every season also. Dye called it "Amen corner" for a reason.)

I think 9 wins a year on average is attainable. Maybe. 10-11? Nah. Not even $aban could manage that kind of record at LSWho.  Doubt he would be allowed * to do it at AU either.. That he can at bammer just points up the fact that bammer is...well...let's call it a "special case."

*I used "allowed" here on purpose. And I don't mean that it has anything to do with the powers that be at AU.

Wow.........................but you left out UT every year as well and that was when they were relevent. Thanks for the history lesson...............:-\

9 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Let's look at our schedule realistically.

- 3 gimme wins per year, every year (Kent St, Tulane, and Samford this season)

- 2 games against the historically mediocre Mississippi schools

- 1 game against Arkansas, who since joining the SEC has been average

- 1 game against a good or above average non-conference opponent

- 1 game against Texas A&M, who has a historically worse winning percentage than we do (58%)

-  3 games against elite competition (UGA, Bama, LSU)

- 1 game crapshoot depending on year, could be UF or could be Vandy

What you are basically arguing is that Auburn shouldn't go 6-3 every year against Power 5 competition because history.  I don't feel like you are taking the realities of today into account.

- 12 game schedule (started in 2006, so your Saban at LSU comment is off-base)

- 3 gimme wins

- 4/5 conference games against inferior programs

Win those and you're at 8.  All anyone else here is asking for is to win some portion of the Big 3 every year.  Do that, and you should be at 9 wins nearly every season.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the world of college football today is vastly different than 40-50 years ago, when many of these records were built.  More games and especially more rent-a-wins have to be taken into consideration when analyzing modern day expectations.  A coach could go 8-4 every year, but if 3 of those are against terrible competition, then what is he really accomplishing?  Meanwhile, Shug may have gone 6-4 but his schedules were often brutal with only one layup game built in.

10 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

with the schedule our Tigers play year in and year out

Is that why we lost to Tennessee- the program that you and some others thing we automatically become if we hire a different coach- and Mississippi State last year? 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:22 PM, leglessdan said:

That 2013 NC loss still burns for me. We were the MOST dominant offensive team in the country that year with a 3 TD lead and blew it. 

FSU is famous for the fake punt. It seems like they always pull one when they are losing,. Especially when Bowden was the coach. Does the puntrooski come to mind?They sure caught us nappng and it cost us the Natty. 😒

WDE!!! anyway

Not sure why this was posted except to start something negative! Who cares about the last 150 years? I care about today and the future of Auburn, and it’s pretty bright to me.

45 minutes ago, toddc said:

Not sure why this was posted except to start something negative! Who cares about the last 150 years? I care about today and the future of Auburn, and it’s pretty bright to me.

You'd be surprised.

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow.........................but you left out UT every year as well and that was when they were relevent. Thanks for the history lesson...............:-\

i thought about UT. But then I remembered 1998 and Ben Leard running the option and just couldn't bring myself to list them.  :)

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Is that why we lost to Tennessee- the program that you and some others thing we automatically become if we hire a different coach- and Mississippi State last year? 

UT last year is inexplicable and nigh on inexcusable.  MSU last year? Ask Kevin Steele...

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

UT last year is inexplicable and nigh on inexcusable.  MSU last year? Ask Kevin Steele...

3 plays, 6 yards, punt
3 plays, -3 yards, punt
4 plays, 9 yards, field goal
11 plays, 42 yards, missed field goal
4 plays, 20 yards, punt
Fumbled punt return

That was everything we did with the football in the first half. Yet, the defense only surrendered 6 points legitimately and even finished the half with a goal line stand that was not correctly interpreted by the officials.

Our possessions in the 2nd half consisted of 2 field goals, a fumble, and 2 turnovers on downs. 

Our offense possessed the ball for only 18 minutes and our defense still didn't surrender a legitimate touchdown until there were 2 minutes left in the game.

So tell me exactly what you'd like me to ask Kevin Steele?

Also, isn't it funny how people support "Auburn" by deflecting blame away from one Auburn employee onto a different Auburn employee and a bunch of Auburn student-athletes?

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So tell me exactly what you'd like me to ask Kevin Steele?

Nick Fitzgerald. 28 carries, 195 yards.  Ask him about that,.

Yep, the AU offense did not possess the ball a great deal. No, the AU defense did not exactly make MSU a three and out team and get the ball back in the offense's hands.  Letting Fitzgerald do that though? No excuse.

BTW, done arguing with you about this or anything else. Enjoy the game this week. War Eagle!

3 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

FSU is famous for the fake punt. It seems like they always pull one when they are losing,. Especially when Bowden was the coach. Does the puntrooski come to mind?They sure caught us nappng and it cost us the Natty. 😒

WDE!!! anyway

I would say the kickoff return for a touchdown was the reason AU lost over the fake punt.  Make them use up time on the clock and they never get the last possession 

Archived