NCAA vote allows athelete to profit

Zeek

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I totally agree with this and I’ve seen plenty that have even said they would be fine with just a free game, even players currently playing. Still a long way to go to see how everything settles tho! 

also 😂

Yep I was going to put that in my OP, but then my mind went off base lol. You are right though, many would be thrilled. I really hope NCAA comes back. I still play Xbox 360 NCAA 14 every summer leading up to the season. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Republican Senator Richard Burr said he is gonna put in legislation to tax scholarships if student athletes can make money off their likeness. Scholarships would be considered income.

Is the same rule going to apply to academic scholarships whose students can profit from their likeness?

Just now, CR said:

Is the same rule going to apply to academic scholarships whose students can profit from their likeness?

That was my thought as well.  Just stupid on his part.

I can already see fans and players complains about ratings. EA is the type to give flash a 94 speed and Jeudy a 99.

3 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio St.

I give you the 4 playoff teams from now till eternity. 

First out for eternity will be some TX team.

This is my concern. Good players are going to go where they are most likely to get money from likeness rather than to the best team for them. The programs with huge fan bases are going to flourish. Those with smaller fan bases are going to struggle. 

For those wanting rid of Gus, we might as well keep him now. Auburn has one of the smaller fan bases in the SEC because we don’t get all that many sidewalkers. Good players will pass us up consistently for LSU, UT, Bama, Florida, and all the other schools with huge fan bases.

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can already see fans and players complains about ratings. EA is the type to give flash a 94 speed and Jeudy a 99.

OMG, you're so correct!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

They really f’n would lol

AUFamily will have to make a forum just for NCAA video game threads

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

For those wanting rid of Gus, we might as well keep him now. Auburn has one of the smaller fan bases in the SEC because we don’t get all that many sidewalkers. Good players will pass us up consistently for LSU, UT, Bama, Florida, and all the other schools with huge fan bases.

Wow, never thought of it that way.  That is very concerning.  

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

My major question regarding the potential of a video game is this, has EA been planning for this day? It seems hard to believe that they wouldn't have tentatively been considering plans for such a day.

EA needs to plan something.......their love of microtransactions have hurt them I'm quite sure......they could use some good news at their next quarterly.

I still think that the only solution to the money problem is for there to be a NFL minor league where the players who only care about playing pro football could play.  College football could then go back to the days when athletes played for the school, not to earn an NFL job.  NCAA rules would remain, as today, with no endorsement money, only an academic scholarship.  

Of course the NFL doesn't want to pay for a minor league.  They would rather keep things as they are.  So what if college football and the NCAA have problems with the compensation issue.  So what if college football loses popularity because of the turmoil that results.  More fans will just come to the NFL.  The NFL will continue to attract the star athletes because their magnet is money.  

This change to allow athletes to profit from endorsements is only the tip of the iceberg.  From a fan's standpoint, nothing good will come from it.

So, college athletes will be able to profit from their likeness....consistent with the collegiate model...what the heck is that nonsense?  The verbiage in the first part of the sentence is totally at war with the “consistent “ exclusion.  
I must be missing something. 

The money generated should be in a trust, and should only be doled out once you GRADUATE.

That's the only way some semblance of purity will remain in amateurism. 

Otherwise, get ready for a farm league full of entitled brats where winning takes a back seat to earnings 

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I guess the recruit bidding will now be public, anyway. 

How many of those bidding wars you think Auburn wins? Yeah, me too.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Even if they don't take donations they could get paid off views on YouTube which is the most exact example of being paid for your image and likeness.

Name some professional athletes who get paid for their likeness on a random Youtube video.

I think you're getting a little carried away with that..

This is about jersey's with names and endorsement type stuff.

5 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Then why post? Most of us even said we didn’t want this to happen but the silver lining is a chance at something nostalgic coming back that we enjoy, don’t know what the problem with that is. WE aren’t going to change anything lol

Oh, I enjoy the game. Still download rosters. I just fear this is going to ruin college football unless they approach it with great caution. 

To protect amateurism, the money should be untouchable until a player uses up his eligibility and place a graduation incentive on it.

But if it just becomes a free market, say goodbye to players giving a sh*t about the team and winning.

3 hours ago, AUFriction said:

This is my concern. Good players are going to go where they are most likely to get money from likeness rather than to the best team for them. The programs with huge fan bases are going to flourish. Those with smaller fan bases are going to struggle. 

Yep......for the better players the commitment decision will definitely become a "business decision". with the money up front if possible. 

53 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Oh, I enjoy the game. Still download rosters. I just fear this is going to ruin college football unless they approach it with great caution. 

To protect amateurism, the money should be untouchable until a player uses up his eligibility and place a graduation incentive on it.

But if it just becomes a free market, say goodbye to players giving a sh*t about the team and winning.

I can agree and I don’t mind them profiting of their likeness and receiving it when they leave school. However guys will make YouTube channels and the lot and get paid. What I don’t mind is guys making money and then if football doesn’t work out then they have money aside to use for their future

This is the death of college football and basketball, and maybe all college sports.  I admit that it is untenable to not allow people to own their own name and image.  But regardless, this will create a divide in college sports that is unbridgeable.

Rest in Peace

College Football

Nov. 6 1869--Oct. 29, 2019

16 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Republican Senator Richard Burr said he is gonna put in legislation to tax scholarships if student athletes can make money off their likeness. Scholarships would be considered income.

Silly political posturing. And extremely unfair since not even half of student-athletes will significantly benefit from this, if at all. 

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

There goes any notion of parity.  The rich will get richer and the poor will stay poor.

Because there's parity now and the best recruits don't already go to a handful of schools. 

Archived