Besides Kodi & Grimes

dyehardfanAU

What position coaches do we need to replace?  Is Porter worth his spot?  What does Woodson do on the recruiting trail for us?

We need some upgrades in both coaching ability but more importantly recruiting ability. 

The next few years are going to be poor to middling across both lines because of the last 3-5 classes neglecting them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh boy I can't wait. I can see us losing at home next year to Stoops and Kentucky!

I'd say Kodi, JB as position coaches. And yes, Gus also needs to be replaced. 2020 will be a rebuilding on both sizes of the ball.

Explain to me why Kodi Burns needs to be replaced? Why is it his fault if MALZAHN'S offense is built on go-routes and slip screens?

Don't get me wrong, the passing game is well past due for an upgrade, but that's on the scheme - not the position group.

Grimes, while I do believe he didn't have much to work with to start, I have lost trust in his ability to develop. I have seen little to no improvement in our O-Line in two years. There's no reason why Minnesota should be able to consistently get pressure on our heavy protection packages while only rushing 4. That's supposed to be OUR M/O. Meanwhile flipping Wisconsin was able to carve Minnesota's Defense up... On the ground... In a blizzard... Oh and heisman hopeful Johnathan Taylor was having a less-than-average day.

Answering your other questions though, Porter and Woodson have been pivotal on the recruiting trail. Special teams took a bit of a dip this year, and there's not much to say about H-backs and Tight-ends. Our secondary has been pretty solid this year, I thought at the start of the season they'd get picked on the most. I think they stay unless the get poached... The coaching carousel isn't done spinning just yet.

5 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Explain to me why Kodi Burns needs to be replaced? Why is it his fault if MALZAHN'S offense is built on go-routes and slip screens?

Don't get me wrong, the passing game is well past due for an upgrade, but that's on the scheme - not the position group.

Grimes, while I do believe he didn't have much to work with to start, I have lost trust in his ability to develop. I have seen little to no improvement in our O-Line in two years. There's no reason why Minnesota should be able to consistently get pressure on our heavy protection packages while only rushing 4. That's supposed to be OUR M/O. Meanwhile flipping Wisconsin was able to carve Minnesota's Defense up... On the ground... In a blizzard... Oh and heisman hopeful Johnathan Taylor was having a less-than-average day.

Answering your other questions though, Porter and Woodson have been pivotal on the recruiting trail. Special teams took a bit of a dip this year, and there's not much to say about H-backs and Tight-ends. Our secondary has been pretty solid this year, I thought at the start of the season they'd get picked on the most. I think they stay unless the get poached... The coaching carousel isn't done spinning just yet.

Watch the WRs when the QB scrambles. They either stand around or try to block. 
Canella broke that mold today with his TD. He had stopped and when he saw Bo scramble, he headed up field. That should be the rule, not the exception. But when your coach never did it, I reckon he doesn’t know how to coach it. 

16 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Watch the WRs when the QB scrambles. They either stand around or try to block. 
Canella broke that mold today with his TD. He had stopped and when he saw Bo scramble, he headed up field. That should be the rule, not the exception. But when your coach never did it, I reckon he doesn’t know how to coach it. 

This and missing out on the game changing WRs year after year.  I don't think of crisp routes and playmakers when I think of AU WRs.

25 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Not trying to start an argument, but stop, and ask yourself just what Kodi knows about playing WR. Whom did he learn it from, and what does he actually know about running routes, and passing game concepts. I think then you'll have an answer to your question.

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not trying to start an argument, but stop, and ask yourself just what Kodi knows about playing WR. Whom did he learn it from, and what does he actually know about running routes, and passing game concepts. I think then you'll have an answer to your question.

^^This. Also ask yourself this question: what team do we have to worry about trying to hire Kodi away from us?

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not to mention he's the Co-OC, lulz.  He's being paid huge money for sub-standard output.

55 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Is Porter worth his spot?  What does Woodson do on the recruiting trail for us?

Porter and Woodson are top recruiters and good coaches, IMO. Both would be snatched up if they ever chose to leave AU.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

Porter and Woodson are top recruiters and good coaches, IMO. Both would be snatched up if they ever chose to leave AU.

Looking at the 247 rankings both are pretty far down the list when it comes to recruiters the last few years.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Looking at the 247 rankings both are pretty far down the list when it comes to recruiters the last couple of years.

I think the recruiter rankings on 247 are a little suspect. E could tell you better than I, but he's mentioned several players who were actually recruited by coaches other than the ones listed. Woodson has really helped upgrade the quality of players in the defensive backfield.

1 minute ago, CR said:

I think the recruiter rankings on 247 are a little suspect. E could tell you better than I, but he's mentioned several players who were actually recruited by coaches other than the ones listed. Woodson has really helped upgrade the quality of players in the defensive backfield.

Fair enough, I'm not bashing just curiously interested.  I haven't noticed us pulling in any 5 star CBs and our safeties looked pretty suspect this season.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Looking at the 247 rankings both are pretty far down the list when it comes to recruiters the last couple of years.

Recruiting services' rankings of coaches are mostly useless. It's too hard to quantify which coaches are doing what.

Porter and Woodson are beasts in recruiting. Woodson's a stud position coach, too. Impossible to tell with Porter as long as he's working for Gus. 

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Fair enough, I'm not bashing just curiously interested.  I haven't noticed us pulling in any 5 star CBs and our safeties looked pretty suspect this season.

Our current DB class is filthy. 

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I understand and wish I was better with names here. I know 4star CB Eric Reed, 4star DB Zion Puckett and ANY player AU has landed from Mississippi in the last few cycles, Woodson has been a big part in.

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

After watching this bowl game, strength & conditioning staff need a reevaluation IMO. 

HOLD UP THERE.  There’s an article on this board that pointed to how good of a S&C staff we have and the prowess of their ingenuity and their abilities.

Surely this program has the best of the best that Gus brought from ArkyState.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

HOLD UP THERE.  There’s an article on this board that pointed to how good of a S&C staff we have and the prowess of their ingenuity and their abilities.

Surely this program has the best of the best that Gus brought from ArkyState.

I have been bitching about this for years and always got chastised for it . Au needs a complete overhaul or at least a change in programming 

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

Carnell Williams is not doing a good job . 24 fumbles this year over ten lost . 

I somewhat agree but Boobie shouldn't be on the roster so it is what it is for the most part.

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Carnell Williams is not doing a good job . 24 fumbles this year over ten lost . 

based on what? A guy who was fumble prone before he came? he cant control who Gus chooses to put out there at RB

And you heard that stat from the game earlier...that stat wasn't exclusively RBs. Bo has had quite a few himself

Archived