Specific strategies you don't understand

cole256

I thought this may be a good thread, post something Gus does that irks you or you don't see the point of. Then maybe someone else may have knowledge of the practice and could explain it. Please don't be obnoxious or don't post if you don't want rebuttal from people.

On a personal note I've been told things such as Sean White was better than Lamar Jackson, Bo Nix was so much better than Taj Boyd that it's not a debate; Taj Boyd couldn't throw the ball (not even a simple back shoulder throw), Alabama's wr group is over rated, and pj fleck is a horrible man and coach and isn't good enough to be a coach here; in basketball Bruce Pearl didn't know what he was doing; and recently I was ridiculed by a group and laughed at while being told Gus is a great and diverse play caller and I could just look at this year to see examples........

I say that to say watch how big of a jerk you are when you speak because some of us on this board isn't as intellectual as we think.

But I'll start it off, why do we at times run a hurry up but we substitute every other play?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been curious,,,since we have one of fastest players in college football that we don't let him run a go route and try to throw him the ball.

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Or, have running backs that are only in the game for specific plays

This was one of my next questions but it goes with wide receivers as well with me. 

5 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I've always been curious,,,since we have one of fastest players in college football that we don't let him run a go route and try to throw him the ball.

no one can throw the ball fast enough to catch him, said gus maybe,

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But I'll start it off, why do we at times run a hurry up but we substitute every other play?

inability to adapt. The quick subs when D's weren't given ample time to respond to the quick personnel changes is one way Gus's offense used to crate havoc. Even though the rules have changed, Gus hasn't.

Great thread idea but think I'll post when folks have cooled down. More pitchforks & torches around here than week after the last few AU/LSU games.😉

People can say what they want about the young man as a player or his family or whatever, but I will NEVER be able to get over someone on staff being unable to count to 5.

I never can understand why we can't get the 11 best damn people on the field. People are still whining about Pickens, but I have no doubt in my mind CGM brain would've been spinning trying to figure out how to get Pickens and Seth on the field at the same time. It is practically impossible for him to not categorize players.

There is not enough time in the day. I will summarize by saying play calling, substitutions, and OL coaching hires followed by Stubbornness and game day demeanor. 

He is OK, just like the commercials. Never going to take the next step and never going have a losing record.  

Why after every first down, then the next play Gus calls is always just a run play?

Why not have another pass play in your plan, when trying to keep tempo.

I hesitate to respond because I don’t want to be perceived as piling on and I’m not a Gus hater, but Gus seems unwilling or unable to adapt his system to better accommodate the rules changes. IMO, once the rules allowed the defense to substitute whenever the offense substitutes, Gus lost his edge because now the defense cannot only substitute, they run additional time off the clock, greatly reducing the ability to run hurry up.  

Also, the wide receiver routes rarely appear to challenge the first down marker on 3rd downs.  

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

inability to adapt. The quick subs when D's weren't given ample time to respond to the quick personnel changes is one way Gus's offense used to crate havoc. Even though the rules have changed, Gus hasn't.

It just seems after having hours of game film of watching it not work we'd try something different

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Great thread idea but think I'll post when folks have cooled down. More pitchforks & torches around here than week after the last few AU/LSU games.😉

That's why I wrote the stuff I did on my first post. We can talk, we can talk and disagree without the extra stuff as long as there is some respect. So instead of the attacking each other because of difference of opinion, let's actually talk football

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It just seems after having hours of game film of watching it not work we'd try something different

Even the game announcers were saying that Gus has so many interchangeable parts, that he uses them from play to play and therefore slows his tempo down.

It's actually hurting his offense more than helping they were implying.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

People can say what they want about the young man as a player or his family or whatever, but I will NEVER be able to get over someone on staff being unable to count to 5.

I see what you're saying, I think if our coaches or coach would admit to making a mistake he would gain a bunch of respect

Interesting thread. So many on the field things come to mind, but I will take a different tack. I don’t understand how he can consistently squander momentum. He has had numerous opportunities these last 7 years to leverage great moments. Instead, he regresses to the mean. Gus averages 8.86 wins a year with 4.29 losses. I am not sure what he did to January, but that month is not kind to him (0-5). 

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

I never can understand why we can't get the 11 best damn people on the field. People are still whining about Pickens, but I have no doubt in my mind CGM brain would've been spinning trying to figure out how to get Pickens and Seth on the field at the same time. It is practically impossible for him to not categorize players.

I agree 100% it would be some type of difficulty because they would play the same position.....and that is sad

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

There is not enough time in the day. I will summarize by saying play calling, substitutions, and OL coaching hires followed by Stubbornness and game day demeanor. 

He is OK, just like the commercials. Never going to take the next step and never going have a losing record.  

The substitutions and OL coaching are valid complaints. Substitutions slow down the tempo, and, when we use the tempo, our offense tends to work better. Furthermore, I think it has pigeon-holed players into specific roles rather than using the breadth of the skill set. Ironically, I think the high level of recruiting is a factor here. In 2013-2014, we had only a few good receivers, and our running back stable wasn't as full. Previously, players HAD to play more than one role because there was not that much talent. Also, a lot of people call Gus "stubborn," but this has been a drastic change from previous Gus. The substitutions didn't really start until around 2015 or 2016. 

OL Coaching... It is abysmal. I've been more defensive of Gus than most, but I really can't believe he brought back JB Grimes this year. Some people keep pointing to recruiting as the problem with the OL, but our starters at the beginning of the year were three 4 stars, one 3 star, and 1 transfer. We've done more with less in the past. The national championship OL was two 4 stars, one 3 star, one low caliber converted D Lineman, and one transfer. On paper, this OL should be on or at the level of that line. So why is it not? Is it scouting? Is it coaching? Either way, those responsibilities are on the OL coach.We need to open the bank on this position and find someone really good at coaching OLs. I wouldn't be against Ryan Pugh coming back either. 

I've had issues with play calling in the past. I thought that was a strength this year. The route tree was more complex than in the past. (Prior to this year, we rarely if ever saw slants, out routes, fades curl routes, drag routes, or hitch routes. We used all of these this year regularly.) We showed some new wrinkles in the RPO game, and adapted it continually throughout the season. A few years ago, people were complaining that all the short routes were screens and that there were no intermediate routes. A big complaint was that most of the passes were deep shots with inadequate protection, or obvious wheel routes.  I feel like the short to intermediate game was good this year this year. Nothing else (deep passes, interior runs, perimeter runs) seemed to work due to poor execution and poor blocking. So teams eventually just keyed on the short and intermediate routes, which is why the offense appeared to digress at times this year. 

43 minutes ago, Carnell said:

No timing routes in the passing game.

What do you mean? And how would that help? And do you think we could be successful at it? (I'm not being an ass btw, I feel like I may know what you are saying but I'm trying to get some meaningful detailed discussion about football and this may lead to a great topic of discussion!)

33 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I have way too many questions...

Come on bro hit me with a couple!

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Why after every first down, then the next play Gus calls is always just a run play?

Why not have another pass play in your plan, when trying to keep tempo.

Yeah it seems like our aggressiveness trying to hit a big play went down but it was one of the things Gus stressed would go up

Archived