Specific strategies you don't understand

cole256

I'm not sure that I understand what's going on when Gus stalks the sideline, viciously hiking up his pants, scowling like a cartoon character, pointing toward the top edge of the stadium like he's angry about a perched bird......and nobody's paying any attention to him.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not sure that I understand what's going on when Gus stalks the sideline, viciously hiking up his pants, scowling like a cartoon character, pointing toward the top edge of the stadium like he's angry about a perched bird......and nobody's paying any attention to him.

Now that's funny, don't care who you are. 

Our reality makes me football-sad:sad2:

We are stuck in quicksand until Gus is relieved of his duties. I really don't have much more to add than what has been excellently laid out by everyone in this thread.

My emotional interest in AU football has never been lower in all my life and I was born an AU fan. Gus has emotionally beaten the passion out of me.

Ooh, here's one.

"You're on the 10 yard line, 3rd and 4. 4 yards gets you a fresh set of downs to try and score. What's the play call coach?"

"Let's throw a 50-50 floater to Seth Williams in the End zone!"

tenor (3).gif

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

Ooh, here's one.

"You're on the 10 yard line, 3rd and 4. 4 yards gets you a fresh set of downs to try and score. What's the play call coach?"

"Let's throw a 50-50 floater to Seth Williams in the End zone!"

tenor (3).gif

Also applies for taking home-run shots on 3rd and short in general...

Just now, Tiger said:

Our reality makes me football-sad:sad2:

We are stuck in quicksand until Gus is relieved of his duties. I really don't have much more to add than what has been excellently laid out by everyone in this thread.

My emotional interest in AU football has never been lower in all my life and I was born an AU fan. Gus has emotionally beaten the passion out of me.

Me too man. I walked out of Jordan Hare last month after the win over Alabama thinking I should really be much more excited after a win like that. Frankly, I just kind of felt indifferent about it all. That's what Gus has done to my passion.

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Also applies for taking home-run shots on 3rd and short in general...

Or how about this one? Alabama has just missed a chip shot field goal, and you have a chance to ice the game with one first down, and you break out that stupid wildcat, not once, but twice! It's not something anybody talked about because of how the illegal substitution worked out, but we were lucky. By all rights we could have been desperately trying to cover Alabama's track team on a last drive to snatch victory away from us. That wildcat crap there at the end was stupid, and a pure Gus thing to do. I was losing my mind up there in the stands.

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

"Did he just say the call was 'bullcrap'? Haha, why'd he say that? Gene, get over here. Dude just said 'bullcrap'. No, the one picking his nose. I know, right? Maybe he'll let us play with his GI Joes, haha."

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Me too man. I walked out of Jordan Hare last month after the win over Alabama thinking I should really be much more excited after a win like that. Frankly, I just kind of felt indifferent about it all. That's what Gus has done to my passion.

It's just to the point where we're going in a circle. There is literally no corner for Gus to turn and really figure it out. After a win vs Bama (in which the D gifted the offense with 2 pick-6s) those using logic just knew a loss like this was right around the corner. Whether it was going to be the bowl game or next season. And when I mean "loss like this" I mean in one where our offense looks like it so-often does against a good opponent. The defense had a baaaad day but they've propped the team up for so long they can't be the driving force in every game.  However 200+ yard total O games are becoming a Gus signature.

The worst part about it is that Gus has moved from being exposed against teams that recruit similarly to us to moving down a peg to losing to teams that we overwhelmingly have more talent than but if they have a competent coach we are going to catch a loss. People are so scared of becoming Tennessee but we are really just the Vols on steroids right now. Instead of 6+ losses a year we are just a little better at 4+ losses a year.

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Or how about this one? Alabama has just missed a chip shot field goal, and you have a chance to ice the game with one first down, and you break out that stupid wildcat, not once, but twice! It's not something anybody talked about because of how the illegal substitution worked out, but we were lucky. By all rights we could have been desperately trying to cover Alabama's track team on a last drive to snatch victory away from us. That wildcat crap there at the end was stupid, and a pure Gus thing to do. I was losing my mind up there in the stands.

Was that YOU behind me? 😅 Yeah I wasn't happy about that game management either. I mean, yeah we were running well against Bama, but c'mon... You can just Wildcat up the middle for little to no gain back to back like that.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

"Did he just say the call was 'bullcrap'? Haha, why'd he say that? Gene, get over here. Dude just said 'bullcrap'. No, the one picking his nose. I know, right? Maybe he'll let us play with his GI Joes, haha."

To stay in line with the theme of this thread, I don't understand why Gus doesn't use curse words. He's not a HS gym and history teacher anymore it's ok to use colorful language in the big boy world of college football in the SEC.

Ya know who fires up his players? Ed O. "R*ll Tide? **** YOU!"

9 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

A loss used to really bother me but after the bowl game it was just, oh well, move on to something productive so the day isn't a total loss. It just doesn't sting anymore. Thanks Gus, for normalizing average for us. 

Loving Auburn basketball helps, guys I promise. We have a real leader with a tried and true method of building and sustaining a program's success at a top level manning our other money making program.

Sorry to muck your thread up, Cole I'll let everyone get back to the discussion as originally intended

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's just to the point where we're going in a circle. There is literally no corner for Gus to turn and really figure it out. After a win vs Bama (in which the D gifted the offense with 2 pick-6s) those using logic just knew a loss like this was right around the corner. Whether it was going to be the bowl game or next season. And when I mean "loss like this" I mean in one where our offense looks like it so-often does against a good opponent. The defense had a baaaad day but they've propped the team up for so long they can't be the driving force in every game.  However 200+ yard total O games are becoming a Gus signature.

The worst part about it is that Gus has moved from being exposed against teams that recruit similarly to us to moving down a peg to losing to teams that we overwhelmingly have more talent than but if they have a competent coach we are going to catch a loss. People are so scared of becoming Tennessee but we are really just the Vols on steroids right now. Instead of 6+ losses a year we are just a little better at 4+ losses a year.

Yeah, in any other situation one would believe that by beating an ultra talented Bama team that you just might be about to turn a corner. However, after seven years of Gus you just know it's the outlier, and not something to get overly excited about.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

To stay in line with the theme of this thread, I don't understand why Gus doesn't use curse words. He's not a HS gym and history teacher anymore it's ok to use colorful language in the big boy world of college football in the SEC.

Ya know who fires up his players? Ed O. "R*ll Tide? **** YOU!"

Or the bama S&C guy saying to the players before uga stupidly did a blackout against them, "You know why they're wearing black Saturday? Because they're going to their own mother***in' funeral." I never hated them so much in my life as when I saw that, because that was 100% bad ass and awesome.

I get it, he doesn't have to curse to fire up his guys. But weeks like this, after yet another terrible loss? Yeah, we get to poke a little.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Or the bama S&C guy saying to the players before uga stupidly did a blackout against them, "You know why they're wearing black Saturday? Because they're going to their own mother***in' funeral." I never hated them so much in my life as when I saw that, because that was 100% bad ass and awesome.

I get it, he doesn't have to curse to fire up his guys. But weeks like this, after yet another terrible loss? Yeah, we get to poke a little.

You're right. I'm just agitated and any and everything that miffs me about Gus is fair game for me right now LOL. The cussing thing is verrry low on my list of qualms with the HC

12 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Was that YOU behind me? 😅 Yeah I wasn't happy about that game management either. I mean, yeah we were running well against Bama, but c'mon... You can just Wildcat up the middle for little to no gain back to back like that.

LOL, it probably was. If you were anywhere in the West stands you probably could have heard me.😁

Cheesecake Factory > Waffle House.

If we're covering everything inexplicable....

LOL, it probably was. If you were anywhere in the West stands you probably could have heard me.😁

Section 57 lol

In other words, lots of us feel the same way. 

images (14).jpeg

7 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Cheesecake Factory > Waffle House.

If we're covering everything inexplicable....

Yes but his route tree is based on our receivers being scattered, covered and smothered. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Yes but his route tree is based on our receivers being scattered, covered and smothered. 

No doubt about it. Make no mistake about that. But they just have to execute!

gif.gif

For me it's the above....he does this on the sidelines often....Is this a strategy to confuse the defense and draw them offsides or inadvertently tipping off the defenses that we are about to snap the ball(like we don't have enough indicators already)? 

21 hours ago, fishepa said:

we have one of fastest players in college football that we don't let him run a go route

Because it would be a pass between the hashmarks. 

Archived