Specific strategies you don't understand

cole256

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

The question is...if Boobie had not gotten injured would we have even seen DJ Williams this season? That goes for the number of carries for the others as well. I'm leaning towards NO if past history is an indicator. 

From what I read on here, yes.  His issue early on was the injury. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get, nor will I ever, the press conferences. I think it's because of what has already been described here. How would you attempt to reflect upon such mishmash?

giphy (1).gif

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

From what I read on here, yes.  His issue early on was the injury. 

I think the plan all along was RB by committee.  We would have seen more of DJ early on if he wasn’t injured.  

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Why don't we recruit OL and DL like they are the lifeblood of the program?

We do.  But it is a tough sale to get the top OLinemen to come to Auburn and play in this offense.  

19 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We do.  But it is a tough sale to get the top OLinemen to come to Auburn and play in this offense.  

Jeff Grimes was able to convince top OL to come play in this offense.   Maybe we need better salesmen?

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Jeff Grimes was able to convince top OL to come play in this offense.   Maybe we need better salesmen?

Minnesota didn't have 5 stars on the O line and they did alright. Maybe we should find guys with a mean streak and hire someone to coach them up ?

My question that trumps all in my mind is why has he coached for 10+ years and constantly does stuff that people who don't even watch sports question? i.e.. bringing a specific player in to run one play among all the other stupid stuff. Like I really wonder what goes through his head if anything.

Oh let me count the ways. Although I'm a little tired from working all day, allow me to take a short stab at this.

First, what makes me nuts is the inexplicable things that he says, and then does that lack all rhyme, and reason. Let's go back to 2016 for just a moment. (Hope I have the year right. Things Gus does seem to run together on me.) Anyway, he spends an entire fall camp with a supposed heated QB battle. A few days before the opening game, Clemson, he names Sean White as the starter, only to trot out no less than five different players taking snaps in another of his total offensive debacles. Wasted a darn good defensive performance that night with the most bizarre offensive game plan I think I've ever seen on any level of football.

Keeping along the same subject let's jump forward to 2019. This time he has another heated QB battle, only this time it encompasses an entire spring, and most of fall camp. In the end he names Bo as his starter, but tells everyone that we have two very capable QB's, and that they have the utmost faith in them both. He then goes further to say that Gatewood would have a package going forward, and that he would definitely help us this season. Well, when our true freshman struggles mightily on the road, of which I don't really place a lot of blame on the kid, we don't see our other "capable" QB given any shot at providing a spark, or change of pace. We all know how that package worked out as well.

I could go on all night with similar scenarios. Many of the deficiencies of his offensive scheme has been touched on here already, so I'm not going to go into much more of it tonight. But, here's a short list. 

One read plays in the passing game on which many time the receiver on the opposite side of the field doesn't even run an actual route. 

The same delayed handoff at center over, and over again. We may see an actual counter run play about once every three, or four games. 

No actual power sweeps. Oh sure we run a speed sweep now, and then, but it's almost always tipped off by the personnel inserted in the game to run it. 

No middle screens involving the RB's, 

No routes for the RB's out of the backfield up the hashes isolating them on a LB. No shallow crosses for RB's. 

Almost no use of the middle of the field in the passing game.

No moving talented playmakers around in the formation's creating mismatches on LB's, or safeties. When is the last time any one here can remember an Auburn WR that was wide open? 

Those are just a few things that come to mind right now. As I said I'm a little tired, and apologize if the post comes off as rambling.

43 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Watching the game at my brother's house and Shivers comes into the game. My cousin says 'number 8 is in. If he lines up wide it's a sweep to the right. If he goes in motion and stops near the QB it's a run off tackle to the right.'

The biggest problem Gus has is that my cuz knew this. He's a job superintendent in the construction field. 

He also told me we needed to send 22 in and pass it to him. 

🤔

This post times 1000.  I would love to be an opposing DC vs Gus.  I didn't think I could get more depressed over the steaming-pile-of-simulated-football I saw yesterday; I really haven't read anything I violently disagree with in all the critiques.  The net is; there really isn't much right with what is going on (very sad face emoji). 

• We don't emphasize winning in the trenches and for some reason can't recruit elite OL talent; and if we did; we've shown no ability to develop it
  • We are without a 1000 yd rusher 2 years in a row (running back U has no 1k yd rusher), and as someone pointed out Williams wouldn't have seen the field absent Boobie's injury 
  • We don't have plan to use folks like Shivers and Swartz who combined for ~400 yds...or actually, maybe we do have a plan to use them...the problem is every DC in the conference also knows that plan
  • Tempo offense doesn't exist any longer ... his own substitution plan on every play has negated it post the rule change
  • The passing game has not developed in Gus's 7 years.  While it is arguable on how much intermediate game we added this year or how consistently we used it; it's pretty obvious the passing game is an afterthought and as someone pointed out; when the rushing game is non-existent; there's no notion of how to use passing to open up the rushing game.
  • I would add only oneitem:
    • when your starting QB has ~40% completion rate and is struggling in a game; there is no notion of having them sit a series or 2 to get their head together.  Is it stubborness (won't admit his boy is fallable?); or is it because he has failed to develop a backup to even a minimal level of competency?  I think the former; but even UT in the bowl game sat their starter after a disastrous streak.  It basically sends a message to everyone else on the team that performance for this guy doesn't matter and they are immune to consquences.  
  • Well, there is one more...sweater vests...  Our HC wears a sweater vest.

•  
    •  
  •  

Pretty much everything that has been listed. I don't understand why he refuses to try something (anything) different when the game plan is working. Sometimes a series on the sideline can do wonders for the perspective of a quarterback who is overwhelmed. Then Gus looks totally confused on the sideline because his offense is going nowhere. A coach can look angry but confused is not a good look, especially game after game. His plan B is trickery, not adjustments. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

What do you mean? And how would that help? And do you think we could be successful at it? (I'm not being an ass btw, I feel like I may know what you are saying but I'm trying to get some meaningful detailed discussion about football and this may lead to a great topic of discussion!)

I mean that it would improve our passing game by increasing our route trees.  Since these types of routes get the ball out of the quarterbacks hand quickly, a missed tackle could result in big plays that gus's offense needs to be effective.

12 hours ago, around4ever said:

I think the plan all along was RB by committee.  We would have seen more of DJ early on if he wasn’t injured.  

Funny how at Auburn we've been gaslighted into calling a normal RB rotation "RB by committee". 

12 hours ago, around4ever said:

Disagree. Look at the makeup of the coaching staff. One of these things is not like the others. (No, I'm not talking about physical appearance.)

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

My question that trumps all in my mind is why has he coached for 10+ years and constantly does stuff that people who don't even watch sports question? i.e.. bringing a specific player in to run one play among all the other stupid stuff. Like I really wonder what goes through his head if anything.

So frustrating, that even puzzles me in baseball when you have a guy who has gotten two outs, he's not struggling and in comes the manager to bring in another pitcher because he thinks the matchup is better. Then his guy gives up a hit and we've all seen what happens after that, game over. Gus manages the red zone like the bottom of the ninth, he likes his matchup and the heck with what's actually working. 

Ok, I thought I would try to give a little perspective between Gus Malzahn, and the coach I want at Auburn. This will be a hypothetical post game press conference by each coach.

Gus Malzahn: 

" Ok, we're disappointed in the outcome of the game today. Give credit to Minnesota they had a good plan, and kinda confused us out there at times. We just couldn't get any consistency in our running game today. Appreciate the effort of our young men, but we just couldn't get it done. Disappointed for our seniors I had hoped we could send them out with that 10th win. I really expected us to play better, we treated this game as a business trip, and had three excellent weeks of practice. I thought we had a pretty good year considering the amazingly tough schedule we played, and the fact we had a freshman QB in his first season. We'll get better. We have some outstanding young players coming up for next year, and we've really got a bright future here at Auburn.    No doubt.

Coach I want here at Auburn:

First off, very disappointed in every facet of our effort today. Hats off to Minnesota to put it plainly, they just lined up, and whipped our butts. No excuse for that. We came here to compete for championships, and to provide this University with the best possible product we can put on the field. We didn't get it done, so we're going back to work starting tomorrow. As coaches we are going to evaluate everything we are doing, from the head coach, right on down to the equipment manager. Some have said our schedule was brutal, but we are Auburn, and that's the kind of schedule we expect to have to play every year. Again, we didn't come here to make excuses. We came here to win championships, and I will do everything in my power to make that happen. Going forward everyone will be held accountable to assure we reach our goals. This great university, and our fans deserve so much better than what we just witnessed out there on that field.    War Eagle. 

Philosophies, and X's, and O's are just part of the problem with Gus. You don't change your season goals in week 13 after you failed to reach what should be your ultimate goal every season. Gus is a con man, and desperately looks for something to project a successful image to the fans, and the PTB. The late announced goal of winning ten games after you have lost in three of the four big games you have played in a season is defeatist, and frankly shows weakness. It's the proverbial lowering of the bar because you just couldn't jump over it.

I think one of our biggest deficiencies is we don't implement out 4 star rbs enough in the passing. We have not screen game and also pretty much every team in football (college or pro) has their rbs as check down receivers if the pass routes are covered on our receivers on pass plays. Another huge problem is Gus runs certain plays when he has certain personnel in: example (The few times he puts Joiner in during the game, you can pretty much know it's going to be a swing pass to Joiner, or a wheel route to Joiner. If I know that, and you know that, don't you think the opposing dc knows that and implements defensive calls to stop it? Yes!) That's just one example.

With the speed and talent we have in the backfield, we need to run more screen passes, toss sweeps, maybe run the receivers on long routes and throw a seem route to Joiner, etc. Gus just has no desire to adjust. he thinks his offense is just fine, and sees no need to change it. Frustrating to say the least!

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I think one of our biggest deficiencies is we don't implement out 4 star rbs enough in the passing. We have not screen game and also pretty much every team in football (college or pro) has their rbs as check down receivers if the pass routes are covered on our receivers on pass plays. Another huge problem is Gus runs certain plays when he has certain personnel in: example (The few times he puts Joiner in during the game, you can pretty much know it's going to be a swing pass to Joiner, or a wheel route to Joiner. If I know that, and you know that, don't you think the opposing dc knows that and implements defensive calls to stop it? Yes!) That's just one example.

With the speed and talent we have in the backfield, we need to run more screen passes, toss sweeps, maybe run the receivers on long routes and throw a seem route to Joiner, etc. Gus just has no desire to adjust. he thinks his offense is just fine, and sees no need to change it. Frustrating to say the least!

Exactly. As Gus sees it the only thing wrong with his offense is we just need to practice more.

Running the RPO with our line and a QB that you don't "want" to run is basically handing off into a closed hole. We seem to do it a lot. 

-I don’t understand our lack of priority & quality OL recruiting the past several cycles. It has clearly caught up with us. 

-I don’t understand the hodgepodge of different style QB’s signed. Think S.White, J. Johnson, Tyler Queen, Malik Willis, Gatewood, Stidham, John Franklin. 

-Like basically everyone, I don’t understand the offensive substitution issues. When opposing coaches are accurately calling our plays from the sideline based on personnel, there’s a obvious problem. 

- The “get a first down and hurry to just run up the middle with Boobie” play has been done so much that it’s a known thing. 

-Probably the biggest thing I don’t understand is how at times, when his back is against wall, the old Gus comes out and he gets pissed, creative, and aggressive and he really shows what he is capable of. Then he stops and goes back in to his shell and craps the bed. He can go from potential greatness to absolute goofiness in a heartbeat. That’s why there is such a passionate discord amongst the fanbase imo. 

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

and also pretty much every team in football (college or pro) has their rbs as check down receivers if the pass routes are covered on our receivers on pass plays

This was going to be my #1 question, any designed pass play seemingly has 2 options - throw to the only intended receiver or scramble. There is no progressions, no check downs, nothing. I get so jealous watching other games when there is seemingly at least one if not multiple replays where the announcers compliment a QB on his eyes and checking down to another receiver or rb. Much of this is on the OL not providing ample time, but even when there is the above doesn't happen.

20 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

-Probably the biggest thing I don’t understand is how at times, when his back is against wall, the old Gus comes out and he gets pissed, creative, and aggressive and he really shows what he is capable of. Then he stops and goes back in to his shell and craps the bed. He can go from potential greatness to absolute goofiness in a heartbeat. That’s why there is such a passionate discord amongst the fanbase imo. 

Glad you phrased it that way, because I don't feel like there's any consistency to it, either. Some folks say that he coaches best when his back's against the wall, but that's not true. His offenses typically perform very poorly in big games. And while he often racks up stats against far less talented teams, he is prone to having bad games against them on occasion, too. 

Maybe it's just that every once in a blue moon, he truly adopts a "nothing to lose" mindset, whereas his mindset in most big games is exactly what you said- the scared turtle syndrome. He shuts down, doesn't trust his staff or players, doesn't trust any plays with any element of risk... just sad and embarrassing. 

4 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Why does Gustavo regularly say that we had a great week of practice but it does not show up in the way the team plays on game day?

I would be hard to convince the man knows what a good week of practice really is. I don't know, maybe Gus is a driving range player. For those of you that don't play golf, a driving range player is what I call that guy that hits the ball like Ben Hogan on the driving range, but can't seem to hit the green from a hundred yards out in a ten dollar Nassau.

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

I would be hard to convince the man knows what a good week of practice really is. I don't know, maybe Gus is a driving range player. For those of you that don't play golf, a driving range player is what I call that guy that hits the ball like Ben Hogan on the driving range, but can't seem to hit the green from a hundred yards out in a ten dollar Nassau.

Yes agree. Remember how Gus used to say how impressive Jeremy Johnson looked in practice, but then when the lights came on at game time, he was deer in the headlights.

Archived