2020 3* QB Sawyer Pate Commits to AU as a PWO

autan

Do PWOs sign something so they can't flip to another program after NSD if they get a better situation? Pate is a 3*.  Aren't our PWOs usually 2* or less?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War 🦅 Eagle!!!! His tape is really good to this novice football fan!!! Woooooooooo!!!! Let's gooooooo!!!!

Triple post on your own OP! Woooohoooo! Let’s gooooo baybayyyyy! War @GwillMac6 
All kidding aside, he doesn’t look too bad. He must really love him some Auburn football 🏈 and you gotta respect a kid, especially a qb who is always the alpha, for walking on because he just loves football this much!

22 minutes ago, autan said:

Do PWOs sign something so they can't flip to another program after NSD if they get a better situation?

Nope.

23 minutes ago, autan said:

Pate is a 3*.  Aren't our PWOs usually 2* or less?

Usually but so many kids are getting ranked now that 3*s are becoming more prevalent.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* QB Sawyer Pate Commits to AU as a PWO

24 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Chayil Garnett better watch out. Pate is going to come for his spot on the depth and they’re both going to push for Sandberg’s spot

He is the second best QB on the roster to me now.

Interesting decision here. I only saw him in one game (loss to HTHS) and he was pretty off that game, but I figure he would go play somewhere not hold a clipboard for four years if he stays. That said, I’m all for anyone who choose AU over everywhere else so WDE to Sawyer and I hope he has a blast at AU. 

Kid can spin it, but what's with all those passes in the middle of the field on his highlight tape? Who was his offensive coordinator? Asking for a friend.

Kid is a winner. Wish he was there for spring. He will be No. 4 this fall. But watch out for next Spring.  Hope we can keep him.

20 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Kid is a legitimate player. Surprised he didnt have any offers. Lucky to have Sawyer at AU

I suspect since he is pushing 6'-1" and started just one season, he came late to the recruiting party.  99% of the schools had their primary QB commitments  before Oct 1.   He was just getting warmed up by then....

Now tossing 41 TD and what 3-4 picks, that gets anyone's attention.   "Got to phone that in." (Reminds me of the scout speaking to Dennis Quaid in the movie The Rookie.)

I am no scout, but I like how he throws the ball hard, but he looks pretty slow.  All he needs to do is extend plays, he doesn't need to be the next JFIII.   

Who knows; after Bo wins the Heisman and leaves early - 

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

99% of the schools had their primary QB commitments  before Oct 1.   He was just getting warmed up by then....

Excellent point.

Love getting a kid like this without taking a hit to the salary cap.

Damn if he doesn't have a great name for an SEC backup QB. Like, if somebody wrote 'Friday Night Lights' except it was about a team in some Birmingham, Oxford or north Atlanta suburb, Jason Street's character would definitely be named Sawyer Pate.

Go ball out and earn that ride, kid! War Damn!

The more I watch his film the happier I am with this pickup. The kid has some serious skills and could develop into an SEC QB with Coach Morris. With Joey leaving we needed 2 QB's in this class.  I would have liked at least one more highly rated QB but especially at QB ratings don't always meet expectations.  I believe QB is more of a crap shoot then most positions.  Lets hope one of our two QB's becomes lightening in a bottle and shows that one of them can play in the SEC if needed.

12 hours ago, autan said:

Do PWOs sign something so they can't flip to another program after NSD if they get a better situation? 

If he wasn't awarded a scholarship, then why would he have to sign anything binding? That would be some truly diabolical and anti-player BS from the NCAA.

Archived