Boobee Whitlow gone

Auburn2Eugene

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

indeed

maybe  Boobie is also torqued Bro Jo signed with UGA.       haha, no really.

He seems to me to be an OOC guy. With all the crap he’s talked to everyone we play, he’s going to have to fight guys in the locker room lol 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow ESPN reporting he will be in the transfer portal. I thought for sure he was going to try his hand at the NFL.

This just made this story a little more interesting IMO

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

How are they to know when someone sends it to them? It would be different if they had done it themselves.

This is what happened to me as well. A friend of mine sent me a snapshot and I didn’t realize it was premium content. My apologies.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm told its true. Still have to wait and see what AU says before I 100% believe it. Gus loved him some Bobbie.

Just reported by ESPN!

Wait so gathering info posted here, he wasn't planning on being here after this year, stops going to class etc because why not? He's not gonna be here after the season anyway, but then he turns around and transfers? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Either Boobie is a next level idiot or something isn't adding up. You don't really see guys who are going to transfer stop going to class. He needs to keep his eligibility.

Was it drug test failure and getting out before a suspension hits him? Was it a beef with the coaching staff? That one seems far fetched because Gus bent over backwards to ensure Boobie got as many touches as he wanted. Were some of Boobie's lack of action in the beginning of some games part of a half-hearted suspension for something that was on-going during the year?

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

Just reported by ESPN!

I expected some to leave but Whitlow was not one of them. Interesting choice to say the least. Maybe he feels Caddy likes the young guys better?

Maybe he wanted to run behind a real OLine to increase his draft potential.  

I do wish him the very best wherever he ends up.  He gave Auburn his best during his time here.  

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Tank showing up to the RB room...

giphy.gif

I mean who would want to mess with this guy ...

8C5A9DEB-623B-4E81-A580-A673FFC68B53.gif

F577B18A-F4A7-46CC-BA7F-1F106FCCF9A3.gif

Surely not a linebacker ..

FD837505-26AC-4596-BA17-2F86E97EA275.gif

4 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Do not paste or take snap shots of posts from the Bunker

thanx for trying pat...........

24 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Man I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it would be something else to see how another coach will utilize those guys. 

I went and looked up some stats just for fun. Andre Ellington had 14 catches for Clemson from the RB position in 2012, Roderick McDowell had 29 in 2013, and Wayne Gallman had 24 in 2014.

Cadillac Williams had 21 in 2004 and Ronnie Brown had 34 (with each having over a 150 carries).

Except for KJ in 2017, Gus hasn't had a running back with more than 17 catches. 

Just one area in which we might see a philosophical shift. 

Sidebar:

In 2012, Clemson had DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Adam Humphries and Martavis Bryant on their roster. Bryant had 10 catches and averaged 30 yards per. DHop had 82 for 1405. The other two accounted for 98/988. Auburn's never seen anything like that. All 3 but Watkins (drafted) posted better numbers the next year. The year after that, Mike Williams and Artavis Scott combined for 133 catches and 1,995 yards. 

Watkins- 4th overall pick
DeAndre Hopkins- 27th overall pick
Adam Humphries- Undrafted, just played the first year of a 4 year, $36 million contract with Tennessee
Mike Williams- 7th overall pick
Artavis Scott- Undrafted, just signed a reserve/future contract with the Colts

That's just the WRs for Morris's last 3 years at Clemson. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wait so gathering info posted here, he wasn't planning on being here after this year, stops going to class etc because why not? He's not gonna be here after the season anyway, but then he turns around and transfers? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Either Boobie is a next level idiot or something isn't adding up. You don't really see guys who are going to transfer stop going to class. He needs to keep his eligibility.

Was it drug test failure and getting out before a suspension hits him? Was it a beef with the coaching staff? That one seems far fetched because Gus bent over backwards to ensure Boobie got as many touches as he wanted. Were some of Boobie's lack of action in the beginning of some games part of a half-hearted suspension for something that was on-going during the year?

I'm not buying that he was planning on leaving, to transfer or to go pro. Take that out of the equation and it makes more sense, at least to me.

4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I don't like what I'm hearing. I'm not terribly surprised considering how stacked the Running Backs room had gotten, but 2020 was primed for Boobee to have a break out year. But perhaps he really has fallen in the depth chart.

If this is true, then I hope DJ develops his field awareness and Shivers... Well he's good to go. I still don't know what we'll do with Joiner but it did seem like his involvement increased over the past season. I mean we've got quality depth, I just hate it for Boobee...

tis a shame. a lot of players think they can pull a bo jackson when they are no  bo jackson. andi am refering to the fact that they said bo was very lazy at practice but brought it come gametime. it might not be the same thing but i think i might be close.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So he's a monster amongst RBs?

6’ - 210 lbs.   Not a monster.  It should be interesting to see what he can do against SEC defenses. 

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

tis a shame. a lot of players think they can pull a bo jackson when they are no  bo jackson. andi am refering to the fact that they said bo was very lazy at practice but brought it come gametime. it might not be the same thing but i think i might be close.

Nope.

3 hours ago, shabby said:

hope there is nothing to the "wasn't going to classes" rumour. that would be bad for Auburn. I am not at all sad if someone other than Boobie gets the snaps next year

Yeah auburn is at fault if a grown man chooses not to fulfill his obligations. 

not saying any of this is true but I hope this isn’t your alignment of thinking .

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

How is it bad for AU? He chose to not go to or be late for classes & team workouts on his own accord. He doesn't have the most affluent upbringing so he needs to get focused at his next stop & finish his schooling if nothing else.

It's bad for Auburn if this has been going on for three years and he has been passing his classes. Doesn't that broach the question as to how he was getting by? Again, i have no idea whether this was occuring long term short term or at all. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Nope.

nope what young man? nope bo was not lazy at practice? i doubt he skipped many or any classes. shrugs. is this what you refer too?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah auburn is at fault if a grown man chooses not to fulfill his obligations. 

not saying any of this is true but I hope this isn’t your alignment of thinking .

It's bad for Auburn if this has been going on for three years and he has been passing his classes. Doesn't that broach the question as to how he was getting by? Again, i have no idea whether this was occuring long term short term or at all. 

al.com

Source: Auburn RB Boobee Whitlow enters transfer portal

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

5-6 minutes

Auburn will be without its leading rusher from the last two seasons moving forward.

Boobee Whitlow entered the transfer portal on Wednesday, according to a source. Whitlow, a redshirt sophomore last season, led the Tigers in rushing yards in 2018 and 2019, when he ran for a combined 1,551 yards and 16 touchdowns.

While the loss of its leading rusher is a tough blow for Auburn, which failed to produce a 1,000-yard running back in back-to-back seasons as the run game collectively struggled the last two years, the Tigers aren’t lacking for depth in the backfield heading into 2020. Even with Whitlow — and departed senior Kam Martin, the team’s third-leading rusher in 2019 — out of the picture, Auburn is set to have a crowded group at running back featuring sophomore D.J. Williams, junior Shaun Shivers, redshirt sophomore Harold Joiner, redshirt freshman Mark-Antony Richards, prized 2020 signee Tank Bigsby and redshirt senior Malik Miller.

Of that group, Williams is the most experienced in terms of college carries despite having just nine games under his belt. The 5-foot-10, 216-pounder was Auburn’s second-leading rusher last season, when he totaled 84 carries for 400 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Shivers, who will not participate in spring practices for the second straight year as he runs track at Auburn, finished last season with 55 carries for 286 yards and three touchdowns, perhaps most memorably plowing through Alabama safety Xavier McKinney on his way to the end zone during the Tigers’ thrilling Iron Bowl win. Joiner had 12 carries for 94 yards and a touchdown last season, adding six receptions for 128 yards and a touchdown, after redshirting in 2018, while Mille served largely as a pass-blocking option for Auburn on obvious passing downs, rushing for 42 yards on 12 carries and adding another 49 yards on four catches.

Richards did not see the field last season after undergoing leg surgery in fall camp, but those within the program have been high on his ability since he first signed, drawing comparisons to former 2017 SEC Offensive Player of the Year and current Detroit Lions running back Kerryon Johnson.

Bigsby, a four-star running back out of Hogansville, Ga., signed with Auburn in December and is one of 10 early enrollees for the Tigers’ 2020 class. He’s rated as the No. 4 running back in the nation, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings, and he could provide an instant impact in the backfield this fall.

Though Auburn has its share of options to take over as the lead option in the backfield, Whitlow’s departure is still a substantial loss for the Tigers. The 6-foot, 210-pounder received 28.8 percent of Auburn’s total carries the last two seasons — including 40.6 percent of its running back carries — while averaging 5.1 yards per touch as the Tigers’ go-to option in the run game.

It was an impressive rise yet a precipitous fall for Whitlow, who originally joined Auburn in 2017 as a signing day surprise for the Tigers. A former three-star recruit from just down the road in LaFayette, where he was a three-sport star — a state champion in track and basketball, as well as an All-State athlete in football — Whitlow received a late offer from Auburn just two days before National Signing Day. Whitlow had been set to sign with Tulane, where he was expected to be a multi-purpose athlete for the Green Wave, but Auburn’s interest in him intensified following the hiring of then-offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey that winter.

Whitlow originally surfaced on Auburn’s radar the prior summer, when he impressed defensive coordinator Kevin Steele during a June camp and received an offer a day later to play defense. Steele wasn’t sure which position he wanted Whitlow at, but he believed the versatile athlete could project as a safety or nickel for the Tigers.

Whitlow wanted to play offense, however, and he kept his options open. After a senior season that saw him pass for 2,292 yard and 29 touchdowns while rushing for another 2,147 yard and 30 touchdowns for LaFayette, earning Class 2A Back of the Year honors, Whitlow’s film piqued the interest of Lindsey, who wanted to recruit him as a wide receiver.

He signed with Auburn as a receiver but moved to running back during fall camp in 2017. He didn’t see the field that season, redshirting after a preseason ankle injury slowed his development, but he emerged in 2018 as Auburn’s top running back following the departures of Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, busting onto the scene during that year’s opener against Washington, when he scored the go-ahead touchdown with 6:15 remaining in the fourth quarter.

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde. Matt Zenitz is an Alabama and Auburn reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mzenitz.

Archived