New Orleans mayor says she would have canceled Mardi Gras if Trump administration had warned about coronavirus dangers

Auburn85

42 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

03C548C4-CA16-4F6F-A897-0755D4F952A6.jpeg

So, CDC issued the first warning on January 8th?  Do you know what the warning was?  Did it rise to what we are seeing now?  Details are important.

The information from WHO has to be taken into account:

The World Health Organization is set to reconvene Thursday after an emergency committee of international health experts were split on deciding whether the virus should be classified as a “public health emergency of international concern,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told journalists. That gives the organization the power to set temporary recommendations to coordinate a global health response with its 196 member countries, including the United States.

The previously unknown, flu-like coronavirus strain sent a chill through global markets this week. It’s believed to have emerged from an animal market in central Wuhan city, China with cases now detected across Asia and as far away as the United States. Deaths from China’s new virus rose to 17 on Wednesday with 571 confirmed cases so far, increasing fears of contagion from an infection suspected to originate from illegally traded wildlife.

WHO physicians said they needed more data before declaring a global emergency, but the virus is now spreading through close human contact and in health-care settings, they said. One of the criteria used to determine whether it’s an international threat is whether the disease spreads locally once it arrives in new parts of the world, “and that’s a nuanced and important distinction to make,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies programme, said on the call.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/who-officials-try-to-contain-china-coronavirus-as-well-as-public-fears.html

This article was published on January 22nd.  After the first human to human in the US, the WHO issued a global health emergency, not a pandemic. This was on January 30th, Trump shut down travel to and from China in the 31st.

The World Health Organization on Thursday declared the fast-spreading virus a global health emergency — a rare designation that helps the international agency mobilize financial and political support to contain the outbreak.

The coronavirus has spread to a handful of people through human-to-human contact outside of China, Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, said at a news conference at the organization’s Geneva headquarters Wednesday.

“These developments in terms of the evolution of the outbreak and further development of transmission, these are of grave concern and has spurred countries into action,” Ryan said. “What we know at this stage, this is still obviously a very active outbreak and information is being updated and changing by the hour.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/cdc-confirms-first-human-to-human-transmission-of-coronavirus-in-us.html

It appears that the time we bought on the 31st was not utilized as well as it could have been, but the CDC was caught off guard because of the lack of good data from China.

The more you know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Dr. Fauci - like many other professionals - has become an expert in handling the narcissist president.  His job is to correct Trump without causing him to lose face.

If people are not "nice" to Trump he will fail to do what is needed for them.  He admitted it himself.

I know you always quote Trump in full context, but CNN doesn’t. What he said is that he wouldn’t call them back, but VP Pence does.  Maybe you should stop posting half truths.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I know you always quote Trump in full context, but CNN doesn’t. What he said is that he wouldn’t call them back, but VP Pence does.  Maybe you should stop posting half truths.

Are you even serious!?  :laugh:  

What a response!  That degree of spin illustrates abject denial.  

He admitted that he wouldn't return the calls from governors unless they were "nice" to him.  And we are talking about TRUMP, not Pence.

Finally, there was nothing edited from that video.  Trump is a narcissist who demands flattery, even in a time of crisis.

You really are not very good at this.   :no:

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, CDC issued the first warning on January 8th?  Do you know what the warning was?  Did it rise to what we are seeing now?  Details are important.

The information from WHO has to be taken into account:

The World Health Organization is set to reconvene Thursday after an emergency committee of international health experts were split on deciding whether the virus should be classified as a “public health emergency of international concern,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told journalists. That gives the organization the power to set temporary recommendations to coordinate a global health response with its 196 member countries, including the United States.

The previously unknown, flu-like coronavirus strain sent a chill through global markets this week. It’s believed to have emerged from an animal market in central Wuhan city, China with cases now detected across Asia and as far away as the United States. Deaths from China’s new virus rose to 17 on Wednesday with 571 confirmed cases so far, increasing fears of contagion from an infection suspected to originate from illegally traded wildlife.

WHO physicians said they needed more data before declaring a global emergency, but the virus is now spreading through close human contact and in health-care settings, they said. One of the criteria used to determine whether it’s an international threat is whether the disease spreads locally once it arrives in new parts of the world, “and that’s a nuanced and important distinction to make,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s health emergencies programme, said on the call.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/who-officials-try-to-contain-china-coronavirus-as-well-as-public-fears.html

This article was published on January 22nd.  After the first human to human in the US, the WHO issued a global health emergency, not a pandemic. This was on January 30th, Trump shut down travel to and from China in the 31st.

The World Health Organization on Thursday declared the fast-spreading virus a global health emergency — a rare designation that helps the international agency mobilize financial and political support to contain the outbreak.

The coronavirus has spread to a handful of people through human-to-human contact outside of China, Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, said at a news conference at the organization’s Geneva headquarters Wednesday.

“These developments in terms of the evolution of the outbreak and further development of transmission, these are of grave concern and has spurred countries into action,” Ryan said. “What we know at this stage, this is still obviously a very active outbreak and information is being updated and changing by the hour.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/30/cdc-confirms-first-human-to-human-transmission-of-coronavirus-in-us.html

It appears that the time we bought on the 31st was not utilized as well as it could have been, but the CDC was caught off guard because of the lack of good data from China.

The more you know.

You have to work overtime to not see how Trump ignored hard facts as long as he possibly could. It took an 18 wheeler full of body bags in his old neighborhood to finally get his full attention. South Koreans are returning to school today.

31 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You have to work overtime to not see how Trump ignored hard facts as long as he possibly could. It took an 18 wheeler full of body bags in his old neighborhood to finally get his full attention. South Koreans are returning to school today.

You have to work twice as hard to not give Trump any credit at all.  That’s great that South Koreans are going back to school.  Their population is about the same as California and Florida, so apples to apples there.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

03C548C4-CA16-4F6F-A897-0755D4F952A6.jpeg

Ooops! Forgot that travel ban. The clown car rolls on...............

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Ooops! Forgot that travel ban. The clown car rolls on...............

Indeed it does:

”The decision to place shipments on hold for review came after U.S. officials reportedly discovered that items they planned to ask officials in Thailand to contribute to the U.S. were already on the way out of the U.S. in the form of a USAID shipment to Thailand.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/490549-us-pauses-usaids-international-shipments-of-coronavirus-aid%3famp

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Indeed it does:

”The decision to place shipments on hold for review came after U.S. officials reportedly discovered that items they planned to ask officials in Thailand to contribute to the U.S. were already on the way out of the U.S. in the form of a USAID shipment to Thailand.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/administration/490549-us-pauses-usaids-international-shipments-of-coronavirus-aid%3famp

Thank you Vlad Jr. :no:

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Your responses are getting even more insane.

You can't handle the truth. 

20 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You can't handle the truth. 

You’re crazy as hell and my patience with that level of insanity ain’t high right now.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re crazy as hell and my patience with that level of insanity ain’t high right now.

Just here with facts and truth. Hate that's a burden for you. Probably your basement mold flare up. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re 1) crazy as hell and 2) my patience with that level of insanity ain’t high right now.

Nature is responsible for the former, while cabin fever may cause the latter. ;D

12 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I think we should squirt a tube of super glue into ichy's palm so he can just have a permanent face palm.

I'm sure he lubes his hand prior to and post every facepalm. Certain people here posting, regardless of what they say, are like a adolescent teen getting their hands on their first Playboy for him.

I'm sure the inability to mask up and harass senior citizens trying to use a public parks during these lockdowns are getting to him though.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, jj3jordan said:

That's right.  Bush blew up the levees so more blacks would die.

you sure that was not you blowing up those levies? i mean a chance to kill that many dems at one time must be appealing to you. am i right? grins

Folks claiming no politician could have known is revisionist history. Republicans accused those who took it seriously as overreacting. Trump was the foremost denier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/trump-accuses-media-democrats-coronavirus.html#click=https://t.co/pppNMGkc8M

14 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm sure he lubes his hand prior to and post every facepalm. Certain people here posting, regardless of what they say, are like a adolescent teen getting their hands on their first Playboy for him.

I'm sure the inability to mask up and harass senior citizens trying to use a public parks during these lockdowns are getting to him though.

Looks to me like ITCHY is the one getting to you guys.  :laugh:

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Folks claiming no politician could have known is revisionist history. Republicans accused those who took it seriously as overreacting. Trump was the foremost denier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/trump-accuses-media-democrats-coronavirus.html#click=https://t.co/pppNMGkc8M

Dear Leader definitely fails in the "leader" part.  No surprise there.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Dear Leader definitely fails in the "leader" part.  No surprise there.

Not much leadership from Washington period.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/how-coronavirus-shook-congress-complacency-155058

Lawmakers have ripped the administration’s bungled handling of the outbreak. But some now wonder if there’s more they could have done when it might have made a difference.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not much leadership from Washington period.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/how-coronavirus-shook-congress-complacency-155058

Lawmakers have ripped the administration’s bungled handling of the outbreak. But some now wonder if there’s more they could have done when it might have made a difference.

Oh, no doubt. 

Some of the governor's leadership - particularly from Republican governors - as well as many (mostly Republican) congressmen has been no better than Trump.

On the other, much of the effective leadership we do see is now coming from the state and local level. (I have been pleased the the local leadership in SC (which is most definitely a "red" state.)

However,  none of that excuses the abysmal performance from the "commander in chief" at the Federal level.  And as we should all realize by now, federal action is crucial in a global pandemic.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

However,  none of that excuses the abysmal performance from the "commander in chief" at the Federal level.  And as we should all realize by now, federal action is crucial in a global pandemic.

For some time now, there have been warnings of a pandemic just like the one we are experiencing. And experts have been saying we were woefully unprepared. Our nation has long thought of threats in terms of missiles and bombs. We now know that a microorganism invisible to the naked eye can cripple our society and economy. Going forward, the CDC should have 24/7 access to the President and Congress, and for threats of an outbreak, their recommendations and guidelines should be made public and adhered to. 

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you sure that was not you blowing up those levies? i mean a chance to kill that many dems at one time must be appealing to you. am i right? grins

You're still around. Guess not.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Oh, no doubt. 

Some of the governor's leadership - particularly from Republican governors - as well as many (mostly Republican) congressmen has been no better than Trump.

On the other, much of the effective leadership we do see is now coming from the state and local level. (I have been pleased the the local leadership in SC (which is most definitely a "red" state.)

Our local leadership has been great also. The article was not posted to excuse anyone.

You should be ashamed for using the situation to play a game of "Gottcha".    

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Looks to me like ITCHY is the one getting to you guys.  :laugh:

Not really, its entertaining and interesting to me. I just view him as the typical modern left that is judgmental and  doesn't accept others.

Btw did yo forget my promise about responses to you lol. Get bent a**hole and have a good night.

hulkeye.jpg

Archived