Morehouse cancels fall sports

AlaskanFAN

Morehouse cancels football season due to coronavirus pandemicay

Stephen A. expects more schools to cancel fall sports amid pandemi

Morehouse, a historically Black college in Atlanta, announced Friday that it is canceling its 2020 football season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Morehouse also will not compete in cross country, its other fall sport, this year. Morehouse president David A. Thomas said the school would continue to honor athletic scholarships.

"I know this news will be most disappointing to our scholar-athletes, especially our seniors," Thomas said in an open letter posted on the school website. "I can only ask for your understanding and respect for the fact that the College is prioritizing your health and safety ahead of all else. We are committed to the principle that our athletes are first and foremost students."

Morehouse is believed to be the first scholarship football program to cancel its 2020 season. Florida Tech shut down its football program entirely in May due to the pandemic, and at least four games involving historically Black colleges and universities, such as the Southern Heritage Classic between Jackson State and Tennessee State, have been canceled.

Thomas said the decision was made with the health and well-being of the students and community in mind and that no decisions have been made on winter or spring sports.

"It follows my intention to maintain a safe campus in hopes that our students will be able to return in August," Thomas said.

Morehouse, which competes at the NCAA's Division II level, was scheduled to open its season Sept. 5 in Atlanta against Edward Waters College.

I’ll be shocked if there is a college football season.

EDIT: Same for CBB. There’s no cure (the ones in the news are only 30% effective if that) and no vaccine. Unless God does a miracle and eradicates it, the cry for more cancellations will continue to grow from the medical community. 

38 minutes ago, jared52 said:

the cry for more cancellations will continue to grow from the medical community. 

The medical community has tunnel vision, which is entirely understandable. Health is their primary, and in many cases, their only concern. The rest of us would like to have a life.

A number of years ago I hired a young woman, a Morehouse grad, into a very good position. To all appearances her education was solid and since then she's steadily moved up until she is now at the management level. She had a lot of loyalty to Morehouse and went to several of their games every year. She'll be unhappy, to say the least.

34 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

GIFs-202063065545.gif

It began a long time ago. The denial began soon after. 

We've squandered every opportunity to prepare for and manage this virus and we will continue to pay a far more severe price for it than we should have had to. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It began a long time ago. The denial began soon after. 

We've squandered every opportunity to prepare for and manage this virus and we will continue to pay a far more severe price for it than we should have had to. 

I was just meaning the beginning of colleges cancelling football.  But based on your post.......

GIFs-202063010827.gif

Kidding.

I do agree with you though.  The repercussions from this will be felt for a long long time Im afraid.

13 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

I was just meaning the beginning of colleges cancelling football.  But based on your post.......

GIFs-202063010827.gif

Kidding.

I do agree with you though.  The repercussions from this will be felt for a long long time Im afraid.

My response was intentionally inappropriate. Flawless counter on your part.

Archived